Author Topic: Replacing laptop motherboard Super IO chip ITE8987  (Read 33154 times)

Offline BlackCore

• Contributor
Re: Replacing laptop motherboard Super IO chip ITE8987
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 02:06:11 pm »
Hi, I'm repairing dead HP Pavilion 17-ab002nm. The motherboard is DAG37AMB8D0, REV: D. For some time motherboard has been intermittent, if I had disconnected the battery and waited for some time, then plugging first the battery in, then AC adapter, the laptop would turn ON, and stay ON on as long as it would have power. Now even this power sequence doesn't work. After some measuring and testing, I came to conclusion, that there is either problem with KBC or BIOS, after consulting some experts, we came to the conclusion that it's KBC that's making problems.

KBC is ITE brand IT8987E, 1604 - BXA version.

Anny suggestions of your experience, what could be the fault ?

Now I'm searching for a programmer for KBC and I found three different ones.

1. Vertyanov ITE ENE IO Programmer - eBay: http://ebay.to/2E4omSc
2. ENIT SIO Programmer - Aliexpress: http://bit.ly/2nOoGxs
3. SVOD Programmer - You can buy them on dr-bios.com and link to how to use: http://bit.ly/2EnfcTW

I would like to know if anyone has used them and what do they prefer or recommend.

Thanks.

Never give up  :box:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:40:14 pm by BlackCore »

Offline electra2017

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 07:40:47 am »
Did you have any chance to fix the problem?

Offline dominicMTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • DominicM
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 10:27:22 am »
I did replace the chip however it did not fix the problem. It seems I get about 3.3V on both regulators instead of the expected 3.3V and 5V.The ICE chip doesn't get hot anymore so I do believe it was indeed shorted internally. Not sure what's causing this and I don't think I want to spend anymore time on this. That being said if anyone know why this might be happening let me know and I will test it out, it would be interesting to find out the fault.

Offline BlackCore

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 11:18:50 am »
Where did you buy 8987E? If you got 3.3V on 5V rail, there still can be a problem somewhere else. Did you check for short to ground on 5V VALW/LDO rail?

I'm still solving the problem.. I've got a new chip, when I first tried to program the new chip with Vertyanov and JAWS, there was no problem, but now when I try again chip does not respond. I tried it to flash it with bios and without bios chip attached. So, for now, I'm just struggling to program the chip. It looks like a dead chip, now I'm waiting for new one...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:21:30 am by BlackCore »

• Regular Contributor
    • DominicM
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 03:35:35 pm »
Where did you buy 8987E? If you got 3.3V on 5V rail, there still can be a problem somewhere else. Did you check for short to ground on 5V VALW/LDO rail?

I'm still solving the problem.. I've got a new chip, when I first tried to program the new chip with Vertyanov and JAWS, there was no problem, but now when I try again chip does not respond. I tried it to flash it with bios and without bios chip attached. So, for now, I'm just struggling to program the chip. It looks like a dead chip, now I'm waiting for new one...

It was just a cheap ebay purchase. I didn't know if it needed to be programmed so just gave it a shot, but from what you said it seems it does need to be programmed so I can't do that anyway without a programmer.

I did not find any shorts. I also tried removing the 5V regulator and feed 5V into the line, power adapter light went on but still no power button led light. Maybe it's the fact that the BIOS chip is not programmed?

Offline BlackCore

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 07:06:19 am »
Yea IT8987E and some others SIO chips as NUVOTON and ENE needs to be programmed for each individual motherboard separately, and so is the BIOS chip. Both are unique to each MB.

Offline BlackCore

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2018, 08:19:09 am »
I have an update. I've reprogrammed IT8987E and also reprogrammed BIOS FLASH. I got the computer working. There is only one problem. It works only with battery in. If I disconnect the battery then the computer shuts down... Will look into it. But it seems that there was a problem with ITE8987E. I don't know if the reprogramming BIOS helped, but I did it anyway :) Will let you informed if I solve the battery problem. Take care.

• Regular Contributor
    • DominicM
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2018, 08:48:44 am »
I vaguely recall reading that battery may be required by (bad) design, you should check if it's not the case with this laptop.

Offline BlackCore

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2018, 09:24:34 am »
I think that's not the problem in my case... I have booted into the system, and I see that Battery will not charge when the computer is on. When the computer turns off, battery immediately starts charging (i can see that's charging via a status LED light on input jack). It seems that the charger IC has problems with recognizing when to turn on battery charging FET's. I will look into it...

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2018, 12:55:15 pm »
sounds like one of the power routing transistors is blown
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline BlackCore

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2018, 01:14:12 pm »
I've checked both ACFET and BATFET in the charging circuit, and they are both fine...

1. So, for now, I've figured out, that SIO and BIOS are OK.
2. Computer boots normally, when both battery and DC plug are connected in specific order. First, I need to plug the DC supply then Battery and computer starts. When turned ON, I see that it draws about 1,4A from the charger, then in the next second, it cuts away ACFET and powers the board from Battery. 
3. Charging circuit is charging battery ONLY when the computer is OFF. When the computer is on and I try to reconnect DC power supply, again it charges for a second, then stops.
4. I've checked Power adapter with my Dummy load and it easily provides 6A, voltage drops to around 18,5V, but this is expected due to cable length. And schematic says that VIN is set to >15.2 (AC GOOD), so this cannot be the problem).

I'm going to measure SRN/SRP vs. Iout (it should be 20x SRP-SRN). As discovered I suspect, that there is a problem somewhere in the charging circuit. Thank you all for your suggestions...

I will try to hold tongue at the right angle and hope it helps.  :-/O :-/O

Offline BlackCore

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2018, 07:44:38 am »
I have an update to make.

When looking at 3VPCU (that's LDO of 3.3 V Regulator that supplies power to the SMC, BIOS and some other components) voltage jumps from 3.3V to 4V and in some point, it was stuck on 4.2V. I'm still going further in though.. I've removed 3V PCU line (used Exacto knife and cut the trace from +3.3V LDO - SY8208B) and on the system side of +3VPCU I get 1.3V From where ???

After cutting the line, LDO regulates normally and outputs 3.3V even when loaded. So LDO is working properly.

So investigating further, I measured all pull-ups that are tied from +3VPCU to system and ending removing them all, but still measuring this +3VPCU rail gives me 1.3V from thin air. SMC has been removed and replaced with working one, reprogrammed both BIOS and SMC (SIO IT8987E)... So I'm pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with SMC and BIOS.

Then I've spotted something strange. When lowering the voltage on my power supply from 19V to 0 the voltage on +3VPCU drops to.

At 19V input I get 1.347V, measuring short to ground 7,6mA
at 10V there is 1.089V; 4,25mA
5V input +3VPCU is at 0.921V; 2,13mA
2V ----> 0.656 V 0,79mA
1V ----> 0,484V 0,39mA

I suspect that something is supplying voltage from DC input to SMC through one of the pins..

Anyone has some clues?

Offline BlackCore

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2018, 07:56:09 am »

It was just a cheap ebay purchase. I didn't know if it needed to be programmed so just gave it a shot, but from what you said it seems it does need to be programmed so I can't do that anyway without a programmer.

I did not find any shorts. I also tried removing the 5V regulator and feed 5V into the line, power adapter light went on but still no power button led light. Maybe it's the fact that the BIOS chip is not programmed?

If you want you can send it to me and I will reprogram it for you. You need to send both BIOS and SIO chip, they both need to be programed/checked.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:42:44 pm by BlackCore »

• Regular Contributor
    • DominicM
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2018, 09:51:24 am »

If you want you can send it to me and I will reprogram it for you. You need to send both BIOS and SIO chip, they both need to be programed.

Thanks very much for the offer. I don't know yet if I will get it fixed, will have to come back to it as I had given up for the moment. I assume that the system should start even with (un)programmed ITE chip right? Right now I get no fan spin at all.

Offline BlackCore

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2018, 09:58:39 am »

If you want you can send it to me and I will reprogram it for you. You need to send both BIOS and SIO chip, they both need to be programed.

Thanks very much for the offer. I don't know yet if I will get it fixed, will have to come back to it as I had given up for the moment. I assume that the system should start even with (un)programmed ITE chip right? Right now I get no fan spin at all.

SIO is responsible for almost all voltage regulators (They call it Brains of the circuit) so, there is no way the computer starts without that chip... And I think that if the chip is not programmed the outcome will be the same... No power no life.

You can check if the firmware of SIO and BIOS is OK. Find #RSMRST signal and check it. If you have 3.3V on #RSMRST line than the BIOS and SIO are most probably OK. If #RSMRST is not present then you most probably have a problem either with SIO or SIO BIOS.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:03:35 am by BlackCore »

• Regular Contributor
    • DominicM
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2018, 12:59:22 pm »

SIO is responsible for almost all voltage regulators (They call it Brains of the circuit) so, there is no way the computer starts without that chip... And I think that if the chip is not programmed the outcome will be the same... No power no life.

You can check if the firmware of SIO and BIOS is OK. Find #RSMRST signal and check it. If you have 3.3V on #RSMRST line than the BIOS and SIO are most probably OK. If #RSMRST is not present then you most probably have a problem either with SIO or SIO BIOS.

Do you have the datasheet for this board? I never found one, so I am not sure how I would find #RSMRST line. I didn't replace the BIOS chip just the SIO/ITE chip but it's not programmed sso I guess that would be same as no chip at all in this case. Would be interesting to check anyways.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2018, 04:29:15 pm »
Anyone has some clues?

diagram is too big to directly upload (2.8MB vs 2MB limit), so link to some shitty pdf hosting service https://www.pdf-archive.com/2018/04/06/hp-pavilion-17t-ab-series-quanta-g37a-g37b-r1a/

is power supply legit? whats on AD_ID?
thats with battery disconnected?
lift/check  Pr1001? might be charger chip after all

Offline BlackCore

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2018, 07:15:28 pm »
is power supply legit? whats on AD_ID?
thats with battery disconnected?
lift/check  Pr1001? might be charger chip after all

Yes, supply is OK, middle pin of the power supply connector is outputting the same voltage as the + (inside rim) of the power supply.  I've tried to connect both original PSU and my LAB power supply and I get the same results from both of them.

You guessed it !!! AD_ID is feeding the SIO with voltage from the output... Zener is clamping voltage to 5.6V, but I measured current draw on AD_TYPE line to the SMC (I've cut PCB trace between kathode of Zenner and pin 67 on SMC) and it's about 6mA, so that's limit of the 2k resistor in series with AD_TYPE line from the output.

When I connect the battery, there is still ~6mA's of current draw on AD_TYPE, but the voltage on +3VPCU immediately drops from 4.2 V on 3.3V after pressing the power button when the battery is connected. The laptop still only starts with the battery connected and the current draw is still ~6mA when the battery is connected.

PR1001 is 100k as it should be, and as I said I have removed all the resistors on the +3PCU line and tested them, they are all fine.

I've changed the resistance of R5117 to 1k to increase current (i taught that Zener is failing) but I think that this is not the case. With 860 ohms, Zener stabilized on 6.5V but, I was thinking that this is too much current send to SMC so I'm just rethinking my strategy :)

How and where is this current sinking through the SMC, that's my next question?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:17:39 pm by BlackCore »

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2018, 11:51:08 pm »
AD_ID should be ~ 1.4V under load in a working circuit ?
is D5100 a dead short by any chance?

I measured current draw on AD_TYPE line to the SMC (I've cut PCB trace between kathode of Zenner and pin 67 on SMC) and it's about 6mA, so that's limit of the 2k resistor in series with AD_TYPE line from the output.

measure resistance to ground on AD_TYPE
any caps between zener and ec on that line? also check C5111/C5112 just in case, shorted cap could cause excessive current draw

> I've tried to connect both original PSU and my LAB power supply

wait, you put 19V lab supply on ID line? now I have no idea how it works, but I have a strong suspicion ID should be severely current limited, and just blasting 19V from unlimited source will fry something, maybe even EC input

also check ADAPTER_SEL_EC

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:54:34 pm by Rasz »

• Regular Contributor
    • DominicM
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2018, 12:40:03 pm »
Thank you for the datasheet, it's very helpful. I am also trying to check AD circuit as I am not even getting VIN led. Where is d5100 though? There are only a  handful of diodes with same package but none of them have anything close to D5100 printed next to them, how are you finding these components on the board?

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2018, 05:48:42 pm »
ctrl-F on the pdf
but this is pavilion 17 diagram, yours is https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz_l_sRYth4MZU9yS0d3NTBNaW8/view

Offline BlackCore

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2018, 07:53:25 am »
AD_ID should be ~ 1.4V under load in a working circuit ?
is D5100 a dead short by any chance?
As you can see on Page 40 of datasheet, that AD_ID is 8 pin on DC_JACK and it's supposed to have 19,5 V feed in. I've measured the resistance between VDD and AD_ID pin on original PSU and it's 200k Ohms. My DC_JACK converter (for lab power supply) has also 200k resistor inside, so the current is limited on AD_ID line, and the AD_ID line is 19V in working circuit under load. D5100 is not installed on the board, so it's open contacts.
>measure resistance to ground on AD_TYPE
>any caps between zener and ec on that line? also check C5111/C5112 just in case, shorted cap could cause excessive current draw
Resistance on AD_TYPE is 14k
No there is no caps on that line. Both capacitors C5111/C5112 are OK..
>wait, you put 19V lab supply on ID line? now I have no idea how it works, but I have a strong suspicion ID should be severely current limited, and just blasting 19V from unlimited source will fry something, maybe even EC input
I have DC Jack converter, that has 200k Ohms resistor build in between +VDD and AD_ID pin, so the pin is current limited..
> also check ADAPTER_SEL_EC
ADAPTER_SEL_EC line seems also OK.

I'm thinking that something may be related to the charging circuit, cuz battery is charging when the computer is off, but when turned on, It stops charging and draws power from the battery. Problem began when computer was turned on, then it stopped charging while ON, then user had plugged/unplugged adapter 5 times and for some time the problem was solved. But after few months even that didn't help. Now the battery is charging only when the computer is OFF...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:52:41 am by BlackCore »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf