Author Topic: Request assistance with Tektronix 2465A repair  (Read 1134 times)

Offline spint3Topic starter

Request assistance with Tektronix 2465A repair
« on: September 23, 2018, 03:22:03 pm »
Hello, new member here, I was wondering if I could get some assistance in repairing my Tektronix 2465A scope. I'm afraid this is a bit out of my knowledge base.

I was using the scope one night, and after about 30 minutes of runtime I heard some crackling and saw all the magic smoke escape. Opening it up I found some crusty caps in the power supply and a burnt resistor. I'm in the process of ordering the visually damaged and suspect components, but is there any other service type work I should also do? I've seen a post or two about shotgun re-capping the whole thing, I wasn't sure if that was really necessary. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, this is my first time working on test equipment.

Offline andy2000

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Request assistance with Tektronix 2465A repair
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 03:50:17 pm »
Those line bypass caps are notorious for shorting and smoking.  Replace ALL of that type now to avoid problems.  Be sure to use the correct X/Y safety rated parts as originally used.

You should check the eletrolytics for leaks, and ESR.  I did a total recap on mine, but it had many leaking caps.  They used different brands over the years, and some were better than others. 

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 03:54:15 pm »
Ah yes, the Rifa delayed action smoke generators. These are mentioned many times on this forum; use the search facility!

There's a good file from condoraudio.com
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 04:30:13 pm »
Since you have the Inverter/Regulator boards out now go ahead and do a total re-cap. You can find all kinds of info plus the list of required capacitors here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope-teardown/
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline spint3Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 04:38:28 pm »
^wow, that's a whole lot to digest, thanks a ton!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf