Author Topic: Restoring a 7 segment LCD display with bleeding issues?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline srdTopic starter

Restoring a 7 segment LCD display with bleeding issues?
« on: August 04, 2022, 04:17:00 pm »
Hi,
I've recently aquired a device with a 7 segment LCD display that suffers from a bit of bleed (see attached photo, though it doesn't look as bad in real life). Now if it were just a normal numerical LCD display, I'd replace it with a new one. However this display has bespoke segments for units and over-/underrange indicators. Is there any way to restore the display? I've searched a bit on google, but beyond "apply pressure and hope for the best" I haven't found any pertinent information.

I'm currently a bit hesitant to go experimenting, since the display is made of several layers of glass, and the last thing I want to to break the display by some avoidable accident. Like cracking it due to heat stress when desoldering...

Any advice is appreciated!

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Restoring a 7 segment LCD display with bleeding issues?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 04:20:23 pm »
No, it's dead and cannot be fixed.

Offline srdTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 07:11:00 pm »
Ah, thats too bad, but thanks for the information. :)

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 02:12:25 am »
What some people have done in that situation is swap in an OLED matrix display.  Of course you need to know how the current display is driven and then translate that to a dot matrix display and build the hardware to do it.

Didn't say it was easy  :-DD

Offline wraper

• Supporter

Offline srdTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 06:38:20 pm »
PaulAm: This piece of equipment is so old that the manual doesn't only contain the circuit layout, but it goes through every part of it piece by piece in detail and how it works. I had already considered adding a microcontroller based translator for a modern display. I haven't really done much digital electronics yet, but noone said that this needs to be done tomorrow :).

wraper: That is very interesting, thanks. I would have thought that custom LCD displays would be a lot more expensive. Not sure if this piece of equipment would warrent spending that much for a new display, but its a life line if all else fails! Thanks again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf