Author Topic: Fluke 1653 installation tester repair help  (Read 18800 times)

Offline bernrothTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fluke 1653 installation tester repair help
« on: December 06, 2013, 10:15:21 am »
Hello!
I recently have obtained a non-working Fluke 1653 installation tester.
When switching it on I receive an Err 1 which means I shall send it to Fluke for repair.

Well, this is too easy and I started to investigate the problem.
I have a 2nd working unit of this installation tester available.

First I did an optical check and found a gold-cap (type panasonic EECEN0F204AK or similar) to have leaked on the front PCB.
I replaced it but still get the Err 1. The cap seem to be used to backup the internal RTC. Calibration values and saved measurements are stored in an external EEPROM.

Some say Err 1 means that the input protection may be broken, so I started to swap boards between the working unit and the broken one. I found the analog daughterboard (see attached photo) to be the cause of the problem.
With the board from the working unit the defective tester works fine, Err 1 is gone. So far so good.

Now I started to compare the supply and reference voltages on both units and all match.
The unpopulated connector P305 draw my attention and a quick check with my scope showed some kind of serial data - bingo (the pinout is added to the attached photo)
I connected a USB <-> TTL serial converter to these pins and captured some data from both testers.

The different outputs are quite obvious.
These messages might be some error flags from the defective board, but not sure:

{FTA00000004}{FTF}{FTL0000}{SID0000}{SB005A}{SR10001}{SR20001}{SH0001}{SIT002A}{SP10000}{SE30000}{UWP0000}{FTA00000004}{FTF}{FTL0000}{SID0000}{SB005A}{SR10001}{SR20001}{SH0001}{SIT002A}{SP10000}{SE30000}{UWP0000}0

I wonder if someone can help me to do some interpretation of the messages.

I suspect one of the analog switches (ADG711 [U320 & U319], ADG704 [U318 & U310]) to be the root cause but I don't want to replace them without beeing sure :)

Any feedback welcome!

Best regards,

Bernhard

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fluke 1653 installation tester repair help
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 03:35:19 pm »
Having read many other forum entries about the Err 1 condition, it looks like a firmware issue because no relay clicks on startup.
The secondary processor does not even try to access the SPI A/D converter or to switch a relay. It just outputs some error message.

I have the original Fluke USB/IR adapter cable and would like to update the firmware to the latest available version.

Any idea where to get the firmware update files?

My other working 1653 has firmware 1.17 and 1.11.
The "defective" one has 1.14 and 1.09 (it communicates fine via USB and can be read out, clock synchronized etc..)
The FW version is shown when pressing the F1 key while seitching the unit on, then release the F1 key.

I really do not want to read out the FW from the MSP430 processors of the working unit and write them to the defective unit.
Even if it's not protected I wonder if it works.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:14:14 pm »
Here the story ends:

It turned out that the hardware of the device was perfectly fine and that the error was most probably an issue with the microcontroller firmware.
One bit might have changed its value in flash and the checksum was not valid anymore.

Then the device shows immediately an Err 1 without even clicking relays or doing anything else.
I guess there is a bootloader in both controllers which does a comparison of the flash image and a checksum value in flash.

Well, I had to send the item to the Fluke service center to let them update the firmware.
After update they did a complete calibration of the meter. Now everything works fine again.
I was surprised that they even included six new AA batteries :) My previously used rechargable NiMh AA cells have been properly tied together and sent back in the same package.

Great  :clap:

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 05:12:51 pm »
Well, I had to send the item to the Fluke service center to let them update the firmware.
Was it fixed under warranty for free?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 05:59:24 pm »
Well, I had to pay, the device was out of warranty.
The current model is 1653B, I have the old one 1653

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 07:03:40 pm »
Well, I had to pay, the device was out of warranty.
The current model is 1653B, I have the old one 1653

I assume since it has probably never been back to fluke to update firmware since purchase, the issue has existed since purchase but not shown it's head until now, I'd consider that a design flaw covered in original purchase.

Offline Mav_2014

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 12:42:57 am »
Bringing an old thread back to life I know but for anyone searching this problem I hear the guys over at Flooked not only fix this fault but also give discount to anyone coming from Dave's site. Let them have your #ERR1GONE cheaper than anywhere else on the planet.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:44:29 am by Mav_2014 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf