Author Topic: Macbook Logic board repair?  (Read 2798 times)

Offline ThisNameIsBlankTopic starter

• Contributor
Macbook Logic board repair?
« on: April 20, 2016, 11:11:18 am »
Hi,

I've got a macbook pro with a failed logic board.

Reading up it seems that the common problem is a failure of the bga graphics chip.

I've never had anything to do with BGA stuff, so how difficult is it?   Some people say just reflow, others that you really need to replace the chip or reball it.

Anyone do this sort of thing?  Is there a cheap IR station that is any good? 

Suggestions welcome

thanks

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Macbook Logic board repair?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 11:21:56 am »
Hi,

I've got a macbook pro with a failed logic board.

Reading up it seems that the common problem is a failure of the bga graphics chip.

I've never had anything to do with BGA stuff, so how difficult is it?   Some people say just reflow, others that you really need to replace the chip or reball it.

Anyone do this sort of thing?  Is there a cheap IR station that is any good? 

Suggestions welcome

thanks

Check out Louis Rossman's videos on the subject. Reflow can "work" but really it's not the right answer for a long term solution.

The following users thanked this post: ThisNameIsBlank

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:07:35 pm »
reflow works for 1 to 12 months . not a viable long term solution.
you must change the bga chip, and you cannot find a working one today of that previous model !
reball or reflow is the same result in working time.

you can use a cheap heating station to reflow, but to change the bga chip if ever you find one it's really another story !

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:30:36 pm »
Depending on the model, starting from the 15 inch mid 2010 through.. all 2011 models, i think the early 2012 too there was a plague of failures because of nvidia. Apple was one of the manufacturers that offered free logic board replacement outside warranty. I'm not sure you can still do that, you should contact apple if this is the case

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 05:37:52 pm »
Quote from: JPortici on Today at 14:30:36
Depending on the model, starting from the 15 inch mid 2010 through.. all 2011 models, i think the early 2012 too there was a plague of failures because of nvidia. Apple was one of the manufacturers that offered free logic board replacement outside warranty. I'm not sure you can still do that, you should contact apple if this is the case
you can still do that for 2011-2012-2013-2014 macbookpro (mostly 15" the 13" are not concerned)
it's free of charge until the end of 2016 in any apple repair center (at least in europe )
for 2010 macbookpro, there are no more parts available they are vintage so no repair anymore even a paid repair.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 12:12:15 am »
A BGA component only needs replacing if defective, bad joints can be reballed. So if people have had success reflowing that model, then a new replacement may not be required.

Typically a professional repair will use new components, do the job once for it to work first time and be reliable. If repairing for someone else and it's secondhand parts, reballed or a reflow is ok as long as they know it's a temporary fix. It should be priced and discussed accordingly.

If you are repairing it for yourself do whatever you like, if careful you can reflow it and then later reball, several times even. Unless you are confidant with fine work I recommend that you practice on some old boards first, if you don't pay attention to detail you will just waste your time/money and do more damage.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:19:39 am »
reflow on these macbook pro 15" boards works typically from 1 to 12 months as I said earlier (but I did not specify it was for that particular board)
if you want a long term solution you need to change the BGA video chip, but it's no more available.
so if the macbook is less than 5 years old, you can get a free replacement in any apple service center till the end of 2016
if it's older, then you can reflow it's the only temporary solution ( then you can reflow over and over and over I tried it it works but is painful)

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 06:41:54 pm »
you could start by being more coherent
-model?
-what doesnt work?
-how did it go bad?
-what have you measured?
-what have you tested?
-what have you tried?
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf