Author Topic: Rossmann's repair videos. Using tons of liquid flux for no apparent reason?  (Read 72863 times)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Rossmann's repair videos. Using tons of liquid flux for no apparent reason?
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2015, 02:20:27 am »
I'm curious what magical fantasy land many of the posters here live in, where confidence correlates with competency. In my experience, the more loudly they boast about how great they are, the more stuff they fuck up because they're morons too proud to ever learn anything, because that might involve admitting the possibility that they don't know everything already. If you come across someone who only seems to brag about their own abilities, run far away.

On the admittedly limited evidence of having only watched this video,I don't see Rossman as being one of those people.
He doesn't show the pomposity which the "pretenders" or indeed, the occasional person on this forum displays.

This  is why I assumed you were young:-

Quote from: Shock
They live in the fantasy land where they lack better role models, easily pleased or are sexually attracted in some way. Either that or they haven't sat through enough videos to get a good representation. Anyway picking up fangirls is easy.
That is the sort of stuff that kids say.

Nobody "loves" Rossman (well perhaps his mother does),we are just giving our opinions on the video presented.
Many of us will probably never look at another of his video clips.

Hit the nail on the head again. Watch several more videos and come back with a more informed opinion on why exactly you like them or why you think I'm childish or have no valid opinion for calling someone elses behavior into question, the conversation has slightly moved on from the flux discussion.

It's also going to get old fast if you are formulating to "grandpa" me to death in threads for my opinion. If you don't think I have anything valid to contribute, add me to your ignore. I'm not exactly running around dropping f-bombs like the person you seem to be defending.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2015, 02:25:00 am »
Nobody "loves" Rossman (well perhaps his mother does)
That should be in the past tense, at least that's what I got from the Rossman high-school tests video.  :'(

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2015, 02:51:22 am »
I've found the tangents this thread is going on, alpha/omega, sex, fangirls etc, quite bizzare - a bit Shocking perhaps  :-DD Anyone would think mojo is back to his old games...  :popcorn:

It was more sexual attraction, obsession, not sex per se, I'm sure Dave has had it happen, it's not uncommon when your in a position of perceived power or are building a following that a percentage of your fan base is attracted to you in this way.

I missed the whole mojo thing and never really read what he posted so not sure what happened there, I get the general idea though. I've dropped my opinion in probably about a dozen times in 3 years. Sorry to disappoint I'm not going nuclear for you any time soon. :)

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2015, 04:43:18 am »
I don't have to like the guy to be able to learn something from him.

"Take what you need and leave the rest." It's good advice.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2015, 08:58:50 am »
You should watch some of the videos where he is doing crotch/groin "emotes" and also the aggressive snaring

dude, that is some latent homosexuality right there, you should spend more time concentrating on the subject of videos instead of constantly looking at guys package. there are no hidden mating rituals in there, he isnt trying to bang your gf, why so insecure about another man _on the internet_?  :wtf:
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2015, 12:02:15 pm »
You should watch some of the videos where he is doing crotch/groin "emotes" and also the aggressive snaring

dude, that is some latent homosexuality right there, you should spend more time concentrating on the subject of videos instead of constantly looking at guys package. there are no hidden mating rituals in there, he isnt trying to bang your gf, why so insecure about another man _on the internet_?  :wtf:

Well aren't you inventive, how in the hell did you get from me talking about what he did in a couple of videos to me being gay and insecure, banging my parter, mating rituals and his package? Now THAT looks like latent homosexuality behavior right there.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2015, 12:46:35 pm »
Hey if anyone else wants to pull cheap shots my age, maturity, sexual preference, technical ability, insecurity, intolerance, have already been covered, and I was even somewhat jokingly accused of being someone else. I think we still got religion, race, political preference left.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2015, 01:15:28 pm »
This thread has become.......
 :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:
The part that really sucks; I don't have four hands to do the four handed face-palm...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2015, 02:29:52 pm »
Hey if anyone else wants to pull cheap shots my age, maturity, sexual preference, technical ability, insecurity, intolerance, have already been covered, and I was even somewhat jokingly accused of being someone else. I think we still got religion, race, political preference left.

Some of the more recent postings have gone well "over the top",but you can't really claim victim status.
You introduced the subject of sexuality in Post#85,& I quote :-

"They live in the fantasy land where they lack better role models, easily pleased or are sexually attracted in some way. Either that or they haven't sat through enough videos to get a good representation. Anyway picking up fangirls is easy."

You could have made a sensible comment,which looking at most of your early posts,you are quite capable of doing,but you couldn't leave it alone,& now it has come back & bitten you.

Everybody else------let's  get off Shock's back now & go on with our lives.

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2015, 02:54:00 pm »

:-DD

Just about shot my morning coffee out my nose....
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:58:29 pm by orion242 »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2015, 03:04:00 pm »
Some of the more recent postings have gone well "over the top", but you can't really claim victim status.
You introduced the subject of sexuality in Post#85

I'm curious what magical fantasy land many of the posters here live in, where confidence correlates with competency. In my experience, the more loudly they boast about how great they are, the more stuff they fuck up because they're morons too proud to ever learn anything, because that might involve admitting the possibility that they don't know everything already. If you come across someone who only seems to brag about their own abilities, run far away.

They live in the fantasy land where they lack better role models, easily pleased or are sexually attracted in some way. Either that or they haven't sat through enough videos to get a good representation. Anyway picking up fangirls is easy.

You could have made a sensible comment,which looking at most of your early posts,you are quite capable of doing, but you couldn't leave it alone,& now it has come back & bitten you. Everybody else let's  get off Shock's back now & go on with our lives.

Nah, I'm not claiming to be a victim, read my reply in context to the Nerull's post regarding confidence vs competency. Here one of the videos I was talking about in all it's glory, complete with crotch/groin "emotes".

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2015, 03:12:35 pm »
Give it a rest and find something better to do than watch his videos and whinge about how you don't like him.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2015, 06:51:08 pm »

For anybody who is considering getting into a repair business that deals with the public Needs to watch this video. This guy is saying what has worked for many of us who have been in his shoes.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2015, 10:29:04 pm »
In the 90's I used to freelance as a repairman of PCs... a.k.a. the computer guy. I did not watch this video yet, but AF6LJ's comment piqued my interest, as I used to tell the folks I gave ZERO days of warranty - i.e., see if it is fixed, but don't come back telling that it "somehow" broke again.

People used to take this seriously, as I was very effective in repairing and, especially, recovering almost unrepairable files...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2015, 10:43:41 pm »
For anybody who is considering getting into a repair business that deals with the public Needs to watch this video. This guy is saying what has worked for many of us who have been in his shoes.
Amen to that! I also watched this initially wondering what all this "crotch shot" stuff was about in Shock's mind, but just watched the video with total recall of my time dealing with certain customers and never noticed any genital gesticulations at all. I am not insane enough to watch a video to notice such a "micro-aggression" if it ever was there. But he is spot on with his business sense and how to deal with customers.

When I was an apprentice bench engineer I remember having to deal with angry customers when I would occasionally have to be degraded to do "counter-shift". Ok, most customers are fine, but sometimes we would have the family from hell - yes, not just a customer, but his whole family with him, wife, grandma, kids and all - to show us "that we are depriving the kids of their christmas telly!" and instantly on the offensive. Despite my articulating with this neanderthal that there is no need to threaten my life for a trivial fault the wife proceeded to scream at me that I am fucking scum for personally manufacturing, selling, delivering, arranging never-never finance, and installing that wretched TV. However they would relent from kicking my fucking teeth in if I got it fixed for them "while they wait" in the lobby.

I have to hand it to my boss who was the service manager but brought up from the ranks by calming the situation down AND dealing with the shit-heads by personally fixing their problem without us having to interrupt our workflow. (Yes, he fixed the fucking thing himself).

NOBODY wanted his job I can tell you! He also had the no bullshit attitude of Rossman, only on steroids (I actually think he was on coke myself, hence the much higher paid job to pay for it!).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:45:47 pm by Macbeth »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2015, 10:56:33 pm »

Nah, I'm not claiming to be a victim, read my reply in context to the Nerull's post regarding confidence vs competency. Here one of the videos I was talking about in all it's glory, complete with crotch/groin "emotes".

Oh come on. Presumably that's the best example of what you are talking about?  I was expecting all kinds of Michael Jackson crotch-grabs, pelvic thrusts and what not from your description. All I saw was perfectly natural gesturing, nothing emphasizing or even resembling "crotch/groin emotes" at all. At the very last frame of the video when he stops gesturing his left hand drops to his _lap_. That's it.
He's giving good advice in his personal "fy" style, which you may or may not approve of, and YOU are reading something into his perfectly ordinary gesturing that, in my opinion, is not there _at all_.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:58:20 pm by alsetalokin4017 »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2015, 11:51:52 pm »
I don't get the fuss.  I've watched a few of his videos; he seems to me to be a reasonably competent repair guy who has a bit of a mouth on him.  I'd say he seems pretty restrained considering the idiocy he likely encounters in dealing with the general public.  If anything, watching him work has made me more inclined to try repairs on some of those insanely small surface mount components.  I think he's pretty entertaining, and honest in that he shows his screw ups along with his successes.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2015, 11:56:08 pm »
He's growing on me a bit, after watching a few more of his videos, but I still hate that one. I understand frustration - I even understand saying the things he is saying, given the amount of frustration involved. And I understand sharing that with people. But when you're insulting specific people, that's something you should keep to yourself. That shit shouldn't go up on YouTube. It's okay to feel and think those things in the privacy of your own business or home. It's not okay to share them with the world.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2015, 12:20:20 am »
But when you're insulting specific people, that's something you should keep to yourself.
Oooh... Which video does he do this on? Who is this person? Does he have a facebook profile? The world wants to know!

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2015, 01:33:46 am »
But when you're insulting specific people, that's something you should keep to yourself.
Oooh... Which video does he do this on? Who is this person? Does he have a facebook profile? The world wants to know!
We here is the states are going through a period of heightened feelings.  There are people who get offended by every little thing that happens to them or is said about them.   
We give out participation trophies, not champions trophies. 
This is especially prevalent on college campuses.
We are raising a generation of wusses.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline fubar.grTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2015, 01:38:15 am »

Blah, he needs to read IPC 7711/21 guidelines again  :popcorn:

Is this for real? This costs $300 !!!

https://portal.ipc.org/Purchase/ProductDetail.aspx?Product_code=C4D14F3D-48CD-DC11-AFC9-001422202D38

I'm not interested in getting that certification. Is there any similar, cheaper rework guide?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2015, 01:43:47 am »

Oh come on. Presumably that's the best example of what you are talking about?  I was expecting all kinds of Michael Jackson crotch-grabs, pelvic thrusts and what not from your description. All I saw was perfectly natural gesturing, nothing emphasizing or even resembling "crotch/groin emotes" at all. At the very last frame of the video when he stops gesturing his left hand drops to his _lap_. That's it.
He's giving good advice in his personal "fy" style, which you may or may not approve of, and YOU are reading something into his perfectly ordinary gesturing that, in my opinion, is not there _at all_.

The content of the video is good, and I agree there was nothing that matches Shock's description...

We here is the states are going through a period of heightened feelings.  There are people who get offended by every little thing that happens to them or is said about them.   
We give out participation trophies, not champions trophies. 
This is especially prevalent on college campuses.
We are raising a generation of wusses.

This is happening in more than one country...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline ITelektronika

« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2015, 02:31:51 am »
He definitely does a good job.
It's pretty hard to do this job and record video and I think that we should not be too hard on him, try it yourself and see.
However, in some things he is wrong.
Too much flux in this case does not harm, but it is unnecessary.
In some cases, too much flux is a mistake. The best example is soldering BGA components.
He made a video where he explains that reball is shit.
He explained that all the BGA available on the market are actually removed from the board and that are used, not new.
Reball sucks, and reflow too. No one I know of has equipment that could with certainty see is the problem is in the joints or in the chip. But from experience, 99% of the problem in BGA.
New BGA chips are, of course available and may be purchased. The problem is not that he is wrong. The problem is when you can not admit you were wrong.
His channel is great for someone who is thought to indulge in adventure repair motherboards. For those who want to learn more, IMO find solutions to problems yourself, not through youtube channel.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:34:57 am by ITelektronika »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2015, 02:33:55 am »
New BGA chips are, of course available and may be purchased.

Not all of them.

Offline ITelektronika

« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2015, 02:37:23 am »
Yes you are right. The point is that most are available, contrary to what Luis said.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf