Author Topic: Rossmann's repair videos. Using tons of liquid flux for no apparent reason?  (Read 72879 times)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
Re: Rossmann's repair videos. Using tons of liquid flux for no apparent reason?
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 10:41:36 pm »
Damn he sounds like an unpleasant prick. How can you people watch this? |O

Having done repair for people most of my adult life, and having to deal with people who really shouldn't own tools attempting to "fix" stuff I can relate.
There are even "Technicians" who shouldn't be allowed to be in the same room with a soldering iron.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 10:45:05 pm »
c4757p why ad hominem? just because someone is not like your favorite dewdiepie?

Uh, no, because he's throwing around insults like "moron" at a rate of approximately 0.5 Hz.

It's one thing to be frustrated with awful customers. It's another to air your dirty laundry on YouTube like that. Not that I think he's a bad person for it, but he sure as hell sounds like one and I find it exceedingly unpleasant to watch. After seeing this I'd never consider being one of his customers.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 10:49:18 pm »
c4757p why ad hominem? just because someone is not like your favorite dewdiepie?

Uh, no, because he's throwing around insults like "moron" at a rate of approximately 0.5 Hz.

It's one thing to be frustrated with awful customers. It's another to air your dirty laundry on YouTube like that. Not that I think he's a bad person for it, but he sure as hell sounds like one and I find it exceedingly unpleasant to watch. After seeing this I'd never consider being one of his customers.

He does good work, I wouldn't care about his disposition.
But face it; without troubleshooting reheating a BGA part just because you "think  :-DD " is stupid on any level.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 10:51:39 pm »

ah, so its a PC thing, we wouldnt want anyone get offended by our mere presence. Personally I prefer honest people.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:53:54 pm by Rasz »
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 10:54:20 pm »
I prefer people who can be simultaneously honest and pleasant - a group of people I like to call "not dicks".

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 11:25:47 pm »

ah, so its a PC thing, we wouldnt want anyone get offended by our mere presence. Personally I prefer honest people.

That is proof right there; it is a good time to be Old.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2015, 11:50:00 pm »
I think he really stretches his videos out a bit and likes the sound of his own voice, but he's from frikkin' New York - what can you expect?  :-//

...and for those whinging about his service prices, he's in Manhattan! He has a tiny shop to work in that probably costs over $1 meeelion dollars a year in rent. It's a drop in shop for city yuppies and banksters who know how to screw the bottom dollar out of everything and don't take their stuff to Apple unless it's on their companies support contract.

He employs staff. He has to earn a living.  :palm:

The best bit is you don't have to fly to Manhattan and ask him to repair your shit for you either!  :-+ Just DIY or find someone local to do it - or pay Apple.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 12:44:36 am »

I could only stand it for a few minutes...and I had the sound off!!!

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 02:05:38 am »
I wish the CoRE (Center of Repair Engineering) guys spoke English I think that would make for some interesting viewing. There is also an Indonesian mobile guy who has mad repair skills can't remember the channel name off the top of my head.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline john_p_wi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 02:08:56 am »

Been in industry for 30 years, what I have learned are guys who talk like that generally have great chops and are very confident in their skills.  Those who don't like it, are in academia...

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 02:37:48 am »
Then you fall for it an awful lot. Calling everyone around you a moron is a great way to make the uninformed think you're smart. Sure, some smart people do it too, but I've encountered a great many fools who have learned that particular technique to make even bigger fools believe in them.

As for confidence in your skills - that doesn't mean anything. The person who took a heatgun to this thing in the first place could have been quite confident that it would work.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 03:15:37 am »

Been in industry for 30 years, what I have learned are guys who talk like that generally have great chops and are very confident in their skills.  Those who don't like it, are in academia...

Like I said, I had the sound off. I watched him work...that was enough for me.

As for people with no "bedside manner"....it's just like with doctors; Just because some great doctors have horrible bedside manner, it doesn't make everyone with a bad bedside manner a great doctor.

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 03:17:44 am »
As for confidence in your skills - that doesn't mean anything. The person who took a heatgun to this thing in the first place could have been quite confident that it would work.

There are two types kinds of people confident in their own skills.
The skilled and the delusional. They make pills for the latter :)

Offline john_p_wi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 03:20:36 am »
Nope, don't fall for it.  As an educated, schooled, engineer, I have been fortunate to be surrounded by other highly educated engineers and techs for many years- including working for international medical, manufacturing and high tech companies.  Generally, as stated above, it has been my experience that the techs who are confident and who talk the talk in industry have mad skills.  The bull shitters are quickly exposed for what they lack, in what we call a "baptism by fire" moment, and are given the opportunity to seek employment somewhere else. 

Honestly, the video was representative of the culture of the American youth today.  Spend anytime on the manufacturing floor (I worked in a supervisory position at a facility with 1600 people) and one will have to quickly learn to read people to survive.  Yes, it is very far from the reserved environment experienced during engineering school and time in research, hence my comments.

'Nuff said.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:23:34 am by john_p_wi »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2015, 04:23:23 am »

There are two types kinds of people confident in their own skills.
The skilled and the delusional. They make pills for the latter :)

Exactly!
NO Technician worth a damned is going to take a heat gun to something without having isolated the problem to that part.  This is like the idiot two way tech I had to cover for from time to time who when he couldn't fix something would go through and re solder everything and call it fixed. Thank GOD he worked in the field 85% of the time.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 04:29:30 am »
Nope, don't fall for it.  As an educated, schooled, engineer, I have been fortunate to be surrounded by other highly educated engineers and techs for many years- including working for international medical, manufacturing and high tech companies.  Generally, as stated above, it has been my experience that the techs who are confident and who talk the talk in industry have mad skills.  The bull shitters are quickly exposed for what they lack, in what we call a "baptism by fire" moment, and are given the opportunity to seek employment somewhere else. 

Honestly, the video was representative of the culture of the American youth today.  Spend anytime on the manufacturing floor (I worked in a supervisory position at a facility with 1600 people) and one will have to quickly learn to read people to survive.  Yes, it is very far from the reserved environment experienced during engineering school and time in research, hence my comments.

'Nuff said.

While it is true you see less of this in manufacturing, or at least back in the day when I was working on a production floor tuning modifying and testing microwave gear.
However;
When you work in a repair only situation say a two way radio shop you see a lot more of that attitude; if for no other reason than you see the worst of the worst like some idiot who takes a heat gun to a good part to flow solder that is good in the first place.
Been there...
Both places.......
Where it can be worst is in a section of the industry where there is a shortage of trained techs such as anything RF related back in the eighties was...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 04:31:37 am »
To quote Russell on the topic “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.”

I wonder. Are Dunning and Kruger well aware of their own limitations, or only of each other's?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 05:12:02 am »
Most Techs verbalise freely when working.

The comments by the guy in the video would be normal day to day chatter in any real Electronics Workshop.
It's damn all to do with the "Youth of America"---Aussie Techs were like that in the 1960s!

The only reason it sounds excessive is it is on on a Youtube video.
The comments,particularly,the swearing,would be confined to the work area in most jobs,but if you are to "look over the Tech's shoulder",you get it "warts & all"!

At one time I developed more expertise in fixing Studio Picture Monitors than I had ever desired! ;D

One delight was converging the things.
This had to be done "live"--- looking in a mirror & groping around in the "guts".

After doing our best with the variable controls,to get the convergence as close to perfect as possible,we inserted plastic "wands" with a ferrite or similar tip between the tube neck & deflection yoke & wiggled them around.

This,on some units brought the Tech's hands very close to,& sometimes in contact with non-insulated terminals on that yoke.
It wasn't really dangerous,but it hurt,& I would often be heard saying something like,but not quite exactly,
"Massey-Ferguson!" when this occurred.

As for his work practices:-

They look pretty standard---some people are more fussy with flux use than others.
I use quite a lot,but I tend to clean up between applications.
Use of liquid flux will almost always create a good joint--many times the flux core in solder alone will not be sufficient for this.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2015, 06:04:29 am »
To quote Russell on the topic “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.”

That's a great quote but I've always wondered if Russell was riping of Yeats "The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."

In any case I can't help but think this guy Rossman is just playing up the brash New Yorker persona a bit to get the youtube views. I think the popular youtubers all need some hook (crazy Australian bloke, etc) and this guy has found his. Sure it will turn off some, but I suspect it will draw in many more.  After all watching someone repair boards would be pretty boring without some kind of eccentric banter.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 06:16:12 am »
In any case I can't help but think this guy Rossman is just playing up the brash New Yorker persona a bit to get the youtube views. I think the popular youtubers all need some hook (crazy Australian bloke, etc) and this guy has found his. Sure it will turn off some, but I suspect it will draw in many more.  After all watching someone repair boards would be pretty boring without some kind of eccentric banter.

It's probably just him, I don't think he's "putting it on". Just like I don't play any "crazy aussie bloke" character, it's just me yapping on camera.
Some things might change a bit when you know you are doing it for an audience, but generally you'll find that the majority of Youtubers are who they appear to be.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 06:19:48 am »
That's a great quote but I've always wondered if Russell was riping of Yeats "The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."
There are good quotes in a similar vein from many points in history, like George Burns' "Too bad that all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving taxicabs and cutting hair."

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 06:29:42 am »

It's probably just him, I don't think he's "putting it on". Just like I don't play any "crazy aussie bloke" character, it's just me yapping on camera.
Some things might change a bit when you know you are doing it for an audience, but generally you'll find that the majority of Youtubers are who they appear to be.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it it wasn't really " him" - more that he probably recignizes the entertainment value of being the brash New Yorker so just lets it fly a little louder and looser than he might otherwise.

Maybe i'm wrong but i always figured you let a few more "Bob's you uncle" " shorter than a bee's dick" etc, fly than you might in more polite company.

Offline lukaq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 07:09:52 am »
And then proceeds to charge 350$ to repair boards with used components pulled from dead boards that he says he buys by the pallet at 20$ a piece

Plus he's warranting the repair.
Needs to, by law, for 90 days

Offline lukaq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 07:17:02 am »

Good thing about YT is, you don't have to watch it. You can always say never based on what you see on YT, but if he gets the job done and if the thing works for more then just 90 days after repair, why would you care?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 07:22:08 am »

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it it wasn't really " him" - more that he probably recignizes the entertainment value of being the brash New Yorker so just lets it fly a little louder and looser than he might otherwise.

Maybe i'm wrong but i always figured you let a few more "Bob's you uncle" " shorter than a bee's dick" etc, fly than you might in more polite company.

Same with postings.
I wouldn't use "Massey Ferguson" elsewhere,except maybe a vintage tractor forum!! ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf