Author Topic: Rossmann's repair videos. Using tons of liquid flux for no apparent reason?  (Read 72862 times)

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
Re: Rossmann's repair videos. Using tons of liquid flux for no apparent reason?
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2015, 07:53:15 pm »
I watch his video's regular, I can feel his frustration about former failed repairs but, hey, if I can fix it, it feels extra great  8)
I'm in the repair business too, it can cost a lot of energy / concentration and there is the risk of screwing things up, getting things ready on time, etc. For most in his business. So I think he needs this to get the frustration/stress out of his system.

What he does is far from what I do, that is why I like to see it. I could never do what he does. I get (industrial) measurement and calibration gear from all kinds of brands and types, most are without service manuals or schematics and almost every repair is a first. Many instruments are more or less unknown to google. I need to work very clean and often after I'm ready all flux remains are gone. I'm used to work on instruments that are very clean on the inside. I use a good flux but not by far in that amounts. I have an arsenal of cleaning products. I have an ultrasonic cleaner but I do not clean pcbs in it.
I'm not a wicker, I have some, but I'm very handy in using my pace desolder-iron. (but it starts to wear out). I can not remember the last time I removed a solder-pad or trace.

I admire him because I think his consumers and their electronics would drive me crazy. Dirty, cheap made expenIsive junk and frustrated owners.

Most of my customers are more or less techs them selves. That makes it more easy to talk to, they appreciate what I do and know it takes time.  I have my lab here at home, no personal, no rent, no travelling, no expensive stock, all the technical toys tools I like (so not what the boss likes) and interesting work, so I'm happy.

Not all repair men are the same. I think you probably have to be a bit coco to like and do this work. ;)

www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline FireFlower

• Regular Contributor
  • Wish had a cabin in Lappland
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2015, 09:04:43 pm »
Yeah,

I think he is doing great teaching guys how to do things themselves if they have enough steady hand and equipment but some work practices are different from mine what I have learnt and got used to so I am just ranting how wrong that is like opening std libraries in headers when coding :rant:

I like his style for doing things fast sometimes now that I have watched more of his videos now and I think I could get well along with him as a work buddy but would take sometime to explain it other different approaches to problem :)

But back to the problem: yeah using a lot flux ain't doing it any faster if you had syringe gun where you get almost exact amount you wanted. Amount he uses adds costs in long run but if you make enough money you might not anymore care about these small flows :) Other problem is if any unactivated flux remains on board and it will be coated for extra protection it is going to cause coating to bubble and look very ugly.

Yeah I would also love to buy some equipment that I use at work but that would mean a few years saving money to buy them but in long run I might able to get them from auctions or 2nd hand surplus eventually. Well I actually could already buy my company's quicky 450 phase solder unit cheap but Galden LS230 would be too costly to run it as hobby oven :D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:10:14 pm by FireFlower »

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2015, 12:39:14 am »
I'm curious what magical fantasy land many of the posters here live in, where confidence correlates with competency. In my experience, the more loudly they boast about how great they are, the more stuff they fuck up because they're morons too proud to ever learn anything, because that might involve admitting the possibility that they don't know everything already. If you come across someone who only seems to brag about their own abilities, run far away.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2015, 08:59:18 am »
I'm curious what magical fantasy land many of the posters here live in, where confidence correlates with competency. In my experience, the more loudly they boast about how great they are, the more stuff they fuck up because they're morons too proud to ever learn anything, because that might involve admitting the possibility that they don't know everything already. If you come across someone who only seems to brag about their own abilities, run far away.

While I understand your comments and largely agree, the fact is that you need confidence to start messing about at component level on these boards. A great many people are put off working with SMD who are OK with through hole, I know at one time I was. Once you've started you do wonder what all the fuss was about, but the packages are getting harder to deal with, but you need some degree confidence, and unfortunately that confidence is a bit of a chicken and egg in that it mostly comes with experience. That experience usually comes with a few failures along the way too, and in some cases that might be expensive.

The arrogance though isn't really my cup of tea, I am reminded of the movie Trading Places when I see some of those videos.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2015, 11:11:00 am »

On the admittedly limited evidence of having only  watched this video,I don't see Rossman as being one of those people.
He doesn't show the pomposity which the "pretenders" or indeed, the occasional person on this forum displays.

OK,he criticises the previous work.
Good Techs usually assume that their own level of competence is the baseline,& expect others to be equally or more competent.
No matter how many times you see horrible work,it still comes as a shock,so criticism tends to be a little harsh.

Offline GNU_Ninja

• Regular Contributor
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2015, 11:30:17 am »
Wow! I think I've finally found someone who swears more than me (by several orders of magnitude). 

For what it's worth, Rossmann is certainly no braggart regarding his skills; Indeed in many of the videos I watched, the chap rather robustly states how poor he is at soldering and such. There's even a video in which he shows how awful his school grades were.

In fact I quite admire his down to earth honesty. Kudos to him for building up a successful business in a difficult field. He certainly seems to get the job done, which I suppose, accounts for his success.

Anyway, I've subscribed to his channel. Most amusing.  :-+

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2015, 11:49:40 am »
. A great many people are put off working with SMD who are OK with through hole, I know at one time I was. Once you've started you do wonder what all the fuss was about, but the packages are getting harder to deal with, but you need some degree confidence, and unfortunately that confidence is a bit of a chicken and egg in that it mostly comes with experience. That experience usually comes with a few failures along the way too, and in some cases that might be expensive.

I do not think he is arrogant. He build himself a nice business.
Indeed, smd is  not so terrible. I use a metcal hot air station with a small nozzle to desolder smd parts. That takes 10 to 30 seconds. Removing trough hole IC's takes more time (with my cripple pace desolder station, yesterday I have had it and ordered a Metcal solder/desolder station)

The problem with smd is the marking on packages. Without a schematic you not even know what it is. Had a sot23 and the marking was used for a transitor, a diode and a mosfet...very handy (not !)
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline john_p_wi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2015, 02:53:05 pm »

For what it's worth, Rossmann is certainly no braggart regarding his skills; Indeed in many of the videos I watched, the chap rather robustly states how poor he is at soldering and such. There's even a video in which he shows how awful his school grades were.

In fact I quite admire his down to earth honesty. Kudos to him for building up a successful business in a difficult field. He certainly seems to get the job done, which I suppose, accounts for his success.

This^^^

After all, his ability to run a business in one of the most expensive areas of the US at the age 26 is quite admirable in itself.

How many of us can say that?

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2015, 03:14:26 pm »

This^^^

After all, his ability to run a business in one of the most expensive areas of the US at the age 26 is quite admirable in itself.

Not to mention that he has chosen (probably for economic reasons) to work on what must be almost the most repair unfriendly platform in existence.

Offline FireFlower

• Regular Contributor
  • Wish had a cabin in Lappland
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2015, 03:33:25 pm »

Well lets say Rossmann is doing fine job being a middle-middle-man between OEM/ other repairshops and end customer and I just leave it at there. Some things are better to be left in dark.

fixing iStuff probably generates nice money because generally that stuff is very overpriced for consumers and fail rates seem to be high.

Edit:
Oh I have to admit I visually damaged board today and we can't sell it, I used protections but air bubble inside PCB and pooof.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 03:38:38 pm by FireFlower »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2015, 04:29:11 pm »

They live in the fantasy land where they lack better role models, easily pleased or are sexually attracted in some way. Either that or they haven't sat through enough videos to get a good representation. Anyway picking up fangirls is easy.

Constantly showing aggressive behavior to try and lead viewers to believe you're an Alpha is an Omega trait. Alphas only need to show aggression when legitimately threatened by other Alphas. I'm sure anyone who is Alpha or Beta can sense something is not quite right with him.

Coppice pointed out before Dunning–Kruger effect, which is probably occurring as well.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2015, 04:36:49 pm »

+1,  while creating a few jobs on the way and enabling other businesses that send him wholesaler repairs.

BTW, he doesn't seems to use an anti static wrist. Is it less of a problem with assembled boards (vs preassembled components)?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2015, 04:52:02 pm »

They live in the fantasy land where they lack better role models, easily pleased or are sexually attracted in some way. Either that or they haven't sat through enough videos to get a good representation. Anyway picking up fangirls is easy.

Constantly showing aggressive behavior to try and lead viewers to believe you're an Alpha is an Omega trait. Alphas only need to show aggression when legitimately threatened by other Alphas. I'm sure anyone who is Alpha or Beta can sense something is not quite right with him.

Coppice pointed out before Dunning–Kruger effect, which is probably occurring as well.

I,for one,am too old to need "role models" & have also learnt life & people are far more complex than your simple "Alpha & Omega " concept.

Many of us who found nothing wrong with  Rossman's video have worked for many years in Electronics with all sorts of people,& no longer have your youthful confidence,or dare I say,intolerance.

That's the nice version------here's the "not so nice":-

My God!,You talk twaddle! ;D

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2015, 05:00:18 pm »
. A great many people are put off working with SMD who are OK with through hole, I know at one time I was. Once you've started you do wonder what all the fuss was about, but the packages are getting harder to deal with, but you need some degree confidence, and unfortunately that confidence is a bit of a chicken and egg in that it mostly comes with experience. That experience usually comes with a few failures along the way too, and in some cases that might be expensive.

I do not think he is arrogant. He build himself a nice business.
Indeed, smd is  not so terrible. I use a metcal hot air station with a small nozzle to desolder smd parts. That takes 10 to 30 seconds. Removing trough hole IC's takes more time (with my cripple pace desolder station, yesterday I have had it and ordered a Metcal solder/desolder station)

The problem with smd is the marking on packages. Without a schematic you not even know what it is. Had a sot23 and the marking was used for a transitor, a diode and a mosfet...very handy (not !)

I think something's gone wrong with your quoting there.

I started my business at the age of 26 in Central London, I don't consider it a particularly smart or clever thing to have done now, although at the time I was quite proud. It's nothing unique, there are thousands of people of that age making their own successful businesses in high rent areas.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2015, 05:08:43 pm »
Simple rule: whenever someone uses terms like "alpha" and "beta" (or "omega", that's a new one on me) to describe people, it's pretty safe to assume they're talking drivel and just go do something else. You won't miss much.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2015, 05:16:21 pm »

I,for one,am too old to need "role models" & have also learnt life & people are far more complex than your simple "Alpha & Omega " concept.

Many of us who found nothing wrong with  Rossman's video have worked for many years in Electronics with all sorts of people,& no longer have your youthful confidence,or dare I say,intolerance.

That's the nice version------here's the "not so nice":-

My God!,You talk twaddle! ;D

So which is it then, easily pleased or sexually attracted?
The male Alpha, Beta, Omega thing is not my concept as you're probably aware.
My youthful intolerance for what, BS? because that is the only intolerance I have.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2015, 05:20:13 pm »
Simple rule: whenever someone uses terms like "alpha" and "beta" ..., it's pretty safe to assume they're talking drivel

So which is it then, easily pleased or sexually attracted?

See?
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2015, 05:55:15 pm »
There's even a video in which he shows how awful his school grades were.

One thing we miss in the US is good vocational tracks but he created his own path.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2015, 05:57:27 pm »
Damn he sounds like an unpleasant prick. How can you people watch this? |O
Simple rule: whenever someone uses terms like "alpha" and "beta" (or "omega", that's a new one on me) to describe people, it's pretty safe to assume they're talking drivel and just go do something else. You won't miss much.
See?

You should watch some of the videos where he is doing crotch/groin "emotes" and also the aggressive snaring at the camera, you may have second thoughts. But I wasn't going into full psychology trait theory on this one :) and it's up to you if you don't believe people tend to follow certain patterns of behavior, which is what I was trying to illustrate, along with the bias on why people think he is funny, entertaining, full of wisdom, knowledgeable, successful etc.

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2015, 06:24:37 pm »
Damn he sounds like an unpleasant prick. How can you people watch this? |O
See?

You should watch some of the videos where he is doing crotch/groin "emotes" and also the aggressive snaring at the camera, you may have second thoughts. But I wasn't going into full psychology trait theory on this one :) and it's up to you if you don't believe people tend to follow certain patterns of behavior, which is what I was trying to illustrate, along with the bias on why people think he is funny, entertaining, full of wisdom, knowledgeable, successful etc.

Looking at your signature line I see that you are interested in reflowing BGAs.  Louis always says that very few problems are fixed by reflowing BGAs. 
Admit is.  This is the real reason you don't like him.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2015, 06:39:45 pm »
My youthful intolerance for what, BS? because that is the only intolerance I have.

Is it possible your youthful intolerance affects what you call BS?

;-)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2015, 07:01:56 pm »
Looking at your signature line I see that you are interested in reflowing BGAs.  Louis always says that very few problems are fixed by reflowing BGAs. 

When did I say reflow? I said designing a BGA rework station. Get your facts straight. LOL.

;-)

I'm not youthful, but I can see why some may think I am. I have got a really well calibrated BS radar, been working on it for years, my own design, field tested. But enough about me, whats your interest in proving me wrong? State how much you love him then move on.

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2015, 08:24:20 pm »
I'm not youthful, but I can see why some may think I am. I have got a really well calibrated BS radar, been working on it for years, my own design, field tested. But enough about me, whats your interest in proving me wrong? State how much you love him then move on.

No interest, just trying to help you debugging your design.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2015, 01:03:46 am »

When did I say reflow? I said designing a BGA rework station. Get your facts straight. LOL.

;-)

This  is why I assumed you were young:-

"They live in the fantasy land where they lack better role models, easily pleased or are sexually attracted in some way. Either that or they haven't sat through enough videos to get a good representation. Anyway picking up fangirls is easy."

That is the sort of stuff that kids say.

Nobody "loves" Rossman (well perhaps his mother does),we are just giving our opinions on the video presented.
Many of us will probably never look at another of his video clips.

I prefer Dave's videos,but I don't even watch every one of them .

Maybe you should shield your BS meter.
It seems to be having problems with a strong local interfering signal.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2015, 02:19:22 am »
I've found the tangents this thread is going on, alpha/omega, sex, fangirls etc, quite bizzare - a bit Shocking perhaps  :-DD Anyone would think mojo is back to his old games...  :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf