Author Topic: Rossmann's repair videos. Using tons of liquid flux for no apparent reason?  (Read 73262 times)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: Rossmann's repair videos. Using tons of liquid flux for no apparent reason?
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2015, 02:38:56 am »
Yes you are right. The point is that most are available, contrary to what Luis said.

I think your definition of most and his definition are very different.

Apple-specific parts and legacy GPUs are not available new. This includes.. pretty much every faulty GPU likely to occur in a Macbook. And the SMC, and many of the power management ICs.

Offline ITelektronika

« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2015, 02:46:08 am »
This is wrong.
The best example is g86-602-a2 (8600gt). The chip is also available in the new revision which is corrected a problem with underfill. So the chip that is built into 2008 apple is available with D/C (example) 2011g.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2015, 02:49:27 am »

We here is the states are going through a period of heightened feelings.  There are people who get offended by every little thing that happens to them or is said about them.   
We give out participation trophies, not champions trophies. 
This is especially prevalent on college campuses.
We are raising a generation of wusses.

This is happening in more than one country...
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
It is the invasion of the Cry Bullies.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:51:06 am by AF6LJ »
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2015, 02:51:29 am »
This is wrong.
The best example is g86-602-a2 (8600gt). The chip is also available in the new revision which is corrected a problem with underfill. So the chip that is built into 2008 apple is available with D/C (example) 2011g.

So where do I source, from a trustworthy, known, not Chinese, Taiwanese, Russian, Ukranian, or equally unreliable seller, a brand new production G86M (that's an 8400, not an 8600), at a sane price, in proper quantities?

I'll not be holding my breath.

Offline ITelektronika

« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2015, 02:58:16 am »
The chips until 2008 had significantly different underfill, and this can be seen with the naked eye(is much brighter). Beyond 2009 has changed underfill. Is it used chip puled from motherboard maded 2007? You do the math.
Time machine? :-DD

Sellers are all more or less the same, unreliable. If you buy a large amount and you insist that you send only the new chips, such'll get and because it is in their interest to keep the customer. You should be able to recognize the new chip used. After all, give warranty 1 year and you will see results.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:03:14 am by ITelektronika »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2015, 02:59:08 am »
The chips until 2008 had significantly different underfill, and this can be seen with the naked eye(is much brighter). Beyond 2009 has changed underfill. Is it used chip puled from motherboard maded 2007? You do the math.
Time machine? :-DD

I'm not asking for a guide on identifying them.

Where do I buy these brand new chips from a reputable distributor?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2015, 03:14:33 am »
Yeah. Especially custom Apple things like the SMC, which is a small MCU with its own custom firmware. Apple doesn't sell those to anyone, except preinstalled in a Mac. If you know where to buy those, ITelektronika, then you know a secret the repair pros don't know.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2015, 03:40:32 am »

We here is the states are going through a period of heightened feelings.  There are people who get offended by every little thing that happens to them or is said about them.   

This is happening in more than one country...
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
It is the invasion of the Cry Bullies.

An interesting video:

A bit more loosely related:
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2015, 04:08:41 am »
We are DOOMED...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2015, 04:14:33 am »
New BGA chips are, of course available and may be purchased.

can you sell me some? I would be interested in G86-731-A2 and G86-771-A2. New original from reputable source, preferably manufacturer :)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/20/40-of-millennials-ok-with-limiting-speech-offensive-to-minorities/
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/aug/07/are-americans-falling-in-love-with-censorship
http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-trigger-happy-generation-1432245600 paywalled, article here: http://billwall.phpwebhosting.com/thomas/articles/trigger_happy.pdf
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline jmegar324

• Contributor
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2015, 06:10:42 am »
Does he mention the type of flux he uses?

Offline lukaq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2015, 06:20:51 am »
Does he mention the type of flux he uses?
yes he does, many times

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2015, 07:29:22 am »
He does not tell the flux type the correct  American way, supported by a bunch of warnings, like; you must not drink it, not use it wash your hair, not kill your neighbor with it (Man, Female, transexual, rebuild gender). Can I sue him for that ?  >:D   :-DD

www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2015, 10:19:13 am »
An interesting video:
Stupidity of that guy is that he can not see the difference between team sports and individual sports.
Soccer is a team sport every individual has a purpose that serves the team. Only the attackers are there for scoring there are also defenders and the midfield players.
Soccer practice you often do exercises that are pure on skills.
If you ever watched a youth game under 11 then you know what can go wrong. All players are where the ball is because they all want to score and their parents also, that is stupid. Scoring is the ultimate goal of the game but if you do not learn the basics of team play it is never going to work. So good rules in Canada and also abandon all parents from the tribunes and pay respect to the referee, you might one day be world champion.

Offline ITelektronika

« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2015, 11:52:15 am »
Yeah. Especially custom Apple things like the SMC, which is a small MCU with its own custom firmware. Apple doesn't sell those to anyone, except preinstalled in a Mac. If you know where to buy those, ITelektronika, then you know a secret the repair pros don't know.
Oh.......
Of course, you can dig a chip that is not available. In fact you can find plenty of them. But it does not confirm his statement, that the new chips are unavailable and that all the chips used.
Repeat once more.
You can not buy every chip. But most of them are available. He is in the video showed a bunch boards on which they are remove BGA chips, mainly GPU. Explaining that those chips you buy on E-bay. This is not true. I gave an example.
I have not written anywhere that you find every chip, you miss my point.
In the video, which was recorded later, he does reflow. With the heat gun, without preheating.
For those who are familiar with repair of motherboards, should not be special explanation how much it is wrong.
We all make mistakes. Someone learns from those mistakes, someone does not.

can you sell me some? I would be interested in G86-731-A2 and G86-771-A2. New original from reputable source, preferably manufacturer :)

No I can not sell you any BGA.
I order from this reseller
http://www.see-ic.com/goods-118.html
As you can see, this chip has date code 1408, it is chip that is manufactured 2014 with new underfill.
My advice is to order 10 pieces or more, if are new must be with the same date of manufacture packaged in a row. With this reseller in 95% of cases never had a problem. The others did not, regularly sent me used chips. But you can see that, after all that I have said, give a guarantee of one year. If you have a reclamation more than a few percent, something is wrong. Or chips or your work.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:04:17 pm by ITelektronika »

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2015, 12:06:19 pm »
An interesting video:
Stupidity of that guy is that he can not see the difference between team sports and individual sports.
Soccer is a team sport every individual has a purpose that serves the team. Only the attackers are there for scoring there are also defenders and the midfield players.
Soccer practice you often do exercises that are pure on skills.
If you ever watched a youth game under 11 then you know what can go wrong. All players are where the ball is because they all want to score and their parents also, that is stupid. Scoring is the ultimate goal of the game but if you do not learn the basics of team play it is never going to work. So good rules in Canada and also abandon all parents from the tribunes and pay respect to the referee, you might one day be world champion.
In my opinion, the main issue with this train of thought is that you are not thinking about the fact that people (including kids) are able to learn from their own mistakes. Teams that don't do good due to the "greed to score" will be worse than the ones that are organized - and I know this from experience. In my home country (Brazil) kids play competitively handball, volleyball, basketball and, as you probably guessed, football (soccer) since we start walking. We played in the streets, in any empty lot or in a fancy gymnasium with anything that was moderately round (a tin can, a sock ball or even sometimes with a real inflatable, Michelin-type gift from the heavens!) and the rules were more or less self-regulated (as rarely there were adults to spoil things). I can tell that his point of view is probably from someone coming from a similar era where less is more (although he is younger than me).

Regarding the parents, some can be complete idiots on stands regardless of their kid's age or if they are involved in collective or individual sports (I know that from experience as well).

Regarding the referee... If he has authority and knows the rules that is what matters - he is there to rule, not to be liked.

At last, a good indication this is not a serious rule is that they don't apply equally to all sports, only to the ones the population does not care as much as hockey. 

In any case, I think I derailed this thread too much. Back to its normal programming.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2015, 01:39:01 pm »
I think people were discussing how they eat up any BS put on a plate in front of them.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2015, 07:12:36 pm »
You can not buy every chip. But most of them are available. He is in the video showed a bunch boards on which they are remove BGA chips, mainly GPU. Explaining that those chips you buy on E-bay. This is not true. I gave an example.
I have not written anywhere that you find every chip, you miss my point.

Your exact words: "New BGA chips are, of course available and may be purchased." You did not say "most" or "some". So yes, you did imply that they are all available, which is untrue.

Offline FireFlower

• Regular Contributor
  • Wish had a cabin in Lappland
« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2015, 07:55:02 pm »
This thread is seriously starting to go off-topic and growing to be be simply just troll, hate, flame thread.

:popcorn:

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2015, 07:58:30 pm »
All because I said someone was rude, too. Apparently that passes for hypersensitivity now :-DD
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2015, 10:18:51 pm »
NO Technician worth a damned is going to take a heat gun to something without having isolated the problem to that part.

Not even if it reduces the average time it takes to make the repairs?

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2015, 10:34:38 pm »
WTH is a crotch/groin emote? And how does one emote by gesturing in a video?  :-//

I had to google "emote". Used in MUDs and test based role-playing games, e.g.:

* John groins Jane *
* Jane crothes John *

Nowadays, "emote" is more often used as an abbreviation for emoticon, e.g.:

8=====)

Not quite a groin, but this is as close as I know. :)

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:07:51 pm by KL27x »

Offline FireFlower

• Regular Contributor
  • Wish had a cabin in Lappland
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2015, 10:45:10 pm »
WTH is a crotch/groin emote? And how does one emote by gesturing in a video?  :-//

Probably he meant hand sign/s for that. Anyway we were talking about amount of flux he uses and techniques but for some reason this is starting to be more and more other  members pecking each other.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2015, 11:15:08 pm »
Regarding these vids, I only watched a few bits, here and there, as referenced by some posts. Can't really stand the running commentary in real time.

One thing I noticed about his bravado/confidence while cursing other person's attempt is it appears he has done the same repair dozens of times. That certainly gives you some confidence.

I also noticed a bit where he goes on about how great magnet wire is for repairs. Then the next minute admits he has never used it before and it was actually a total PITA. (He used only a short uninsulated bit, where he could have used a bare bus wire, so yeah, using enamel coated wire only to scrape it off would be a PITA.) I think he just talks like that all the time. I wouldn't take it personal if he knocked my work, anymore than if I were the guy that built the Esinomed tablet that was tore up by Dave. (Heck, for all we know, it was a last minute job, and the designer made the impossible possible. Maybe bodged together in an emergency, in a hotel room from spare parts the night before a presentation. And the real key to the presentation might have been the SOFTWARE; hardware can be redesigned after a contract has been signed and millions of dollars are now available. And the medical industry is notorious for bodged electronics. Multiple off-the-shelf walwarts stuffed inside of a huge metal case = medical grade PSU, that'll be $3,000.00, thank you. Shit like that happens anywhere insurance/government contracts are involved).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:36:25 pm by KL27x »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf