Author Topic: Rohde & Schwarz CMU200 software (firmware)  (Read 12952 times)

Offline boris.tTopic starter

Rohde & Schwarz CMU200 software (firmware)
« on: August 06, 2015, 08:22:08 pm »
I have R&S CMU200, but no software(Version Manager and DOS) on its hdd  :-BROKE New hdd installed.
Can someone help me?
I found in service manual that software can be installed from some PCMCIA Flash drive, but I have no idea where to find it.
Can this unit be repaired by copying hdd from another one? Where I can find hdd images?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:55:06 am by boris.t »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: R&S CMU200 software (firmware)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:09:53 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Be patient, it might take a couple of days for this thread to be noticed by the "right" members that can help you.
Edit your thread name to the manuafacturers full name, this might help to get noticed.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: Rohde & Schwarz CMU200 software (firmware)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:02:52 pm »
I have R&S CMU200, but no software(Version Manager and DOS) on its hdd  :-BROKE New hdd installed.
Can someone help me?
I found in service manual that software can be installed from some PCMCIA Flash drive, but I have no idea where to find it.
Can this unit be repaired by copying hdd from another one?

The software updates for the CMU200 (and CRTU) require an R&S GLORIS account plus granted access for the special file sections for these devices (usually only available for corporate customers). But even if you had the updates you'd still need a working system on the hard drive as Version Manager is required to update it.

You could use the hard drive (or an hdd image) from another CMU200, however as all options are locked with keys to the particular serial number you'd lose all advanced functionality (i.e. everything cell phone, Bluetooth or audio related) and only get basic functionality (i.e. Spectrum Analyzer, RF generator etc).

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 05:53:18 am »
What is the latest firmware version of the CMU200? And do you know of a freely available version history? This way we could at least check if we need to hassle to R&S distributor for a Gloris account of not?  :)

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 04:30:16 pm »
What is the latest firmware version of the CMU200?

The latest software versions for CMU200 and the Maintenance partition of the CRTU are:

• Base: v5.21
  • GSM, (E)GPRS: v5.22
  • W-CDMA: v5.22a
  • CDMA2000: v5.20
  • Bluetooth: v5.20
  • AMPS, TDMA: v5.20
  • 1xEV-DO: v5.20

These will very likely be the last updates for the DOS partition on both devices. For the CRTU, keep in mind that the Maintenance version and the software version on the Windows 2000 partition need to be at the same level for the Windows software to work (the DOS software doesn't care about the Windows software).

And do you know of a freely available version history?

No.

This way we could at least check if we need to hassle to R&S distributor for a Gloris account of not?  :)

A GLORIS account alone doesn't help, as access to the CMU200 and CRTU file section is separate from the area for other R&S devices (which is open to all GLORIS users), and requires special access. I'd say that unless you're a corporate customer with CMU200s or CRTUs under maintenance then you'll very likely won't get any access to the CMU200 area.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 07:04:59 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Luckily my unit appertly already came with the lastest firmware, which means I wont be needing a Gloris account after all (although it would be nice to poke around and see what else they have apart from firmware)

Offline hafrse

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 06:25:11 am »
Hello,

I need to make a backup of my hard disk of my working CMU-200 to a new disk.

Here are the steps that I am thinking about:

1 - Using a PC, make a backup copy of the entire contents of the current disk
2 - Make a new active dos 6.22 partition on the new disk and format the disk
3 - Boot the PC in DOS mode from a diskett and create a dos system by the SYS command on the new disk (ex. SYS E: if E is the new disk drive letter)
4 - Copy  the backup copy into the new disk.

Will that work?

George

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 07:41:41 am »
This is how I have done it:

1) remove the hard drive from the CMU, and attached is to a device like this: http://www.dx.com/p/unitek-y-3321-usb3-0-to-ide-sata-hard-disk-drive-hdd-docking-converter-black-230128

2) made an exact image of the drive to a file with this software: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/ (I used the portable version to avoid installing the software)

3) removed an IDE harddrive from a back-up USB drive I had lying around (the HD in my CMU was a 20GB one, but I replaced it with a 40GB one without any issues

4) restored the image from the file to the "new" HD using the same software as in step 2

The following users thanked this post: boris.t

Offline hafrse

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 07:07:00 pm »
Many thanks for your help!

Also, looking for the service manual for the CMU-200 just to have an idea of its architecture, is it also available some where ?

George

Offline boris.tTopic starter

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 03:44:26 am »
This is how I have done it:

1) remove the hard drive from the CMU, and attached is to a device like this: http://www.dx.com/p/unitek-y-3321-usb3-0-to-ide-sata-hard-disk-drive-hdd-docking-converter-black-230128

2) made an exact image of the drive to a file with this software: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/ (I used the portable version to avoid installing the software)

3) removed an IDE harddrive from a back-up USB drive I had lying around (the HD in my CMU was a 20GB one, but I replaced it with a 40GB one without any issues

4) restored the image from the file to the "new" HD using the same software as in step 2
Good solution. Another way is to use some mini IDE-> CF adapter and USB HDD box. But I use simple HDD and have one copy of it. I do not know how applicable HDD Raw Copy Tool, but I select Paragon software for my needs. I checked some soft before by copying HDD and trying to start CMU, some not working, last is Paragon and it works fine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf