Author Topic: Salvaging components from an intermittent PBC. Never/Maybe/Always?  (Read 948 times)

Offline paul8fTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Trying to diagnose a problem on a new board lately. On average, in ten iterations of the test script it will fail just once. Difficult to pinpoint the fault. Temperature cycling, voltage margining and board vibration/flexing reveal nothing. Power rails look clean, and oscillators are stable. Problem is hardware, not software/firmware. Don't think there are any pressure-sensitive ICs or leaky caps etc.

Because it's intermittent, this should go straight onto the scrap heap. On the other hand, if it was actually a hard fail but BER, then it could be used as a doner unit for repairing other devices with certain components salvaged.

So, just wondering is there any rule of thumb for saving components from a scrapped intermittent board?  - Never ever, only re-use passives, re-use basic discrete silicon components but only after thorough component-level tests?

Interested to hear what people think, or experience you've had. What's the probability of transferring the original intermittent fault to another board?   :-//

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
Re: Salvaging components from an intermittent PBC. Never/Maybe/Always?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 01:27:30 pm »
Interested to hear what people think, or experience you've had. What's the probability of transferring the original intermittent fault to another board?   :-//

It depends on so many variables that it is impossible question, especially when cost of the board/product are *not* provided. Usually you just repair board - obviously when it is economically feasible. If you can't fix it - scrap it. Rarely you take off some expensive component when you know it is 100% operational and can be reused for repairs of other boards. For example LCD or power supply module.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 01:30:11 pm »
Hard to guess without the details  ..

you said :  SCRIPT . I will assume a motherboard.

Likely you have memory chips.  TOP of the list. faulty memory

or wrong memory specs kinda...

I have a BOX FULL of crappy DDR modules...

Which I would like to test... but I refuse to mount whole
MOBOs for the sake of probing crappy DDR modules..

I wonder if someone somewhere already developed a DDR
tester...  cheap and easy like  EPROM testers..

but DDRs are more tricky and way fast than EPROMs

Paul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 06:29:51 pm »
Hard to guess without the details  ..
... you said :  SCRIPT . I will assume a motherboard.

Just a few more details here.... No, it's not a motherboard. It's a small board worth around €100-€120, mainly housing DACs, a peltier device control unit, and a precision current monitor. Relatively cheap board, but it's only a sub-assembly to a larger unit worth many times it's own value.

Lots of op-amps, a multiplexer, bi-polar transistors and the usual mix of diodes, resistors, inductors and capacitors. Hard to decide what's safe to salvage (if anything...)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 06:39:35 pm »
I recommend to nuke this board in the reflow oven for a second pass, and see what happens.

Made by an external CM. Good suggestion though!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf