Author Topic: samson S3 Crossover schematic needed,  (Read 2105 times)

Offline CaptDonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
samson S3 Crossover schematic needed,
« on: August 01, 2021, 03:20:15 am »
I have a Samson S3 2/3/4 way crossover that is malfunctioning. The mode selector switch seems inactive
and the mode LED's don't light or change with the switch. The unit is excessively hard to reverse engineer
but I am thinking the problem may be simple in the steering logic. I doubt the mode switch is bad although
I haven't tested it yet. The unit worked well and was behind a locked panel so it isn't physically damaged.
One day it just didn't work anymore. Thanks!!!
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline Dee999

Re: samson S3 Crossover schematic needed,
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 10:56:55 am »
Hi, did you ever find a schematic? I have the same problem here. Thanks.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 04:10:05 pm »
I actually talked to a guy that was part of the original design team. He sent me the schematics and assured me the multi function selector switch was bad. It was a real P.I.T.A. to get the switch out but I did it. I took the switch apart and sure enough the two microscopic plastic bits that hold the wiper in place were sheared off and the wiper did not move with the shaft. The part number on the switch is still good and I think Mouser has them in stock. I chose to repair mine by melting a bit of the plastic and a tiny dab of super glue. Mine is working perfectly now but I keep it set for 4way-low so the switch isn't seeing any real use. It would probably break again if it got switched often. I love this unit and it has the limiter feature not found in most crossovers. It also 'looks cool' in my F.O.H. amplifier rack. Cheers!!
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

The following users thanked this post: sergeymalyazin

Offline sergeymalyazin

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 08:46:49 am »
Welcome Caption ! I got a 3-way who has seen a lot in his life. Among other things, it had a similar problem with the mode switch. I fixed it the same way you did by soldering the plate to the shaft a little.  The selector began to work, but there are still a couple of problems, one of which I have already solved, but there is still a problem with the operation of the left channel.
Could you share the schematic that you have? Otherwise, I will have to sketch and understand the device for a very long time. The layout of the crossover is very compact, and to be honest, it's not entirely clear to me why it was needed in such a large case.
I really hope for your help, thank you!
I apologize for the spelling syllable, I am writing through a translator.

Offline mikeydee77

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 09:15:19 pm »
Just came to say that  I have the same symptoms on my s3way.  Not fixed just yet but hopefully just the switch.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 01:50:40 am »
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply!!!! I have a 15.3Mb file for the Sampson S3 unit. It has been a while since I messed with it since it now works. I find it strange, it is an .MSI file not a .PDF   My chromebook won't open it. I probably viewed it on my older XP-SP2 Gateway laptop. Let me see what I can do with it. Cheers!!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 01:53:26 am »
I am very sorry, I missed your post from many months ago!! I found the schematic on my data backup USB drive. I had forgotten, it is an .MSI format file of 15.3Mb  I'll have to figure out how I opened it as this very chromebook I am typing on won't open it.

Offline mikeydee77

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 08:23:00 am »
I imagine that the msi (Microsoft installer) file includes Adobe reader and the pdf embedded within it to make it convenient for the recipients.   

If you are using chrome then one way would be to upload to Google drive and share that particular file via a link. 

Mind you I think Gmail is OK with sending large files... try and see?

I sent you a PM with my email address.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 02:27:10 pm »
I will try it tonight around 21:00 E.S.T.  I have doggy school tonight after my day job (where I am now). We have a black lab retriever in S.A.R. training.

Offline mikeydee77

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 12:53:21 pm »
No problem CapnDon sounds like you have a lot going on right now...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 01:36:26 pm »
The file that I thought was the right one that you needed had me fooled. It was PDFSAM2_4.msi and I thought that was the Samson file. Turns out it was 'PDF Split and Merge' installer. I will keep looking. I know the file is here somewhere (I hope!!) because I used it for troubleshooting my unit. Like the old splash screen on T.V.  "Please Stand By we are having technical difficulties"  Cheers mate.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 01:22:12 am »
Sent a request to Samson to see if they would send me the file they had supplied a few years back. Will keep you informed. I have looked on every drive and computer here in the house and can't find my original copy. I have both printed file folders and data on drives and the Samson file is nowhere to be found. Hopefully they send it to me and I will then send it to you. As I recall I was amazed at the small size of the file and yet the detail. That other file I found SAMPDF2_4.msi had me fooled!!!

Offline mikeydee77

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 12:18:35 pm »
Thanks.  Ah shame you couldn't find it (I know that feeeling)  ... but hopefully they will reply back again positiviely.  I might take a look at my broken unit this week end anyway and see if I can make any progress...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 01:56:39 pm »
John D. at Samson graciously provided this PDF to me for the Samson S3 2/3/4 way crossover.
It is a pleasure to do business with a company who will help technicians and isn't afraid to publish
the schematics of older non-current production equipment. The best business partners know that
support after the sale leads to more sales of trusted supported products. Thanks John, I have faith
in the upscale pro series of Samson equipment. I also use and recommend Audio Technica for their
support after the sale!!

Offline mikeydee77

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 02:09:29 pm »
Many thanks CaptDon... Yes I 100% agree with your point.   Those companies that support their products are helping to create future demand as well as helping to reduce environmental waste. ... just look at companies like Marshall, Fender, Peavey etc 40 and 50y old amps appreciating in value.    Of course many organisations also bit concerned about handing out technical info to people that might go and  kill themselves through electrocution so I can understand their hesitancy.

I look forward to my next repair project 

Offline sergeymalyazin

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2023, 11:53:25 am »
John D. at Samson graciously provided this PDF to me for the Samson S3 2/3/4 way crossover.
It is a pleasure to do business with a company who will help technicians and isn't afraid to publish
the schematics of older non-current production equipment. The best business partners know that
support after the sale leads to more sales of trusted supported products. Thanks John, I have faith
in the upscale pro series of Samson equipment. I also use and recommend Audio Technica for their
support after the sale!!

Dear CaptDon ! Thank you very much for your efforts and help! I've been waiting all this time and every week I opened a forum hoping for an answer. Thank you very much! It was a discovery for me that you can just take and ask for a scheme from the manufacturer. I'm very surprised that they gave it to you, of course it's fine! Thank you again very much!

Offline mikeydee77

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2023, 12:25:19 pm »
Quick update to say that my switch is certainly faulty. Replacement from mouser is available.  Hopefully that will be the only issue. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2023, 03:14:03 pm »
I think a large part of the co-operation with Samson is related to them being a good company to do repeat business with and they value repeat customers. Also, as a sound engineer and sound re-enforcement provider I buy from Samson and am known to them as a valued customer.
Cheers mates!! Best wishes!!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2023, 03:16:36 pm »
That switch is a royal P.I.T.A. to remove/insert!!! Cheers!! Best wishes!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf