Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE unbricking  (Read 7214 times)

Offline poot36Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE unbricking
« on: June 17, 2016, 04:11:55 am »
I have a Galaxy Tab model SGH-I957D (Telus) that I got from a friend who tried to unlock it to work on any SIM card and managed to totally brick it.  It will not turn on (or vibrate) at all but the processer section does get warm indicating it is doing something.  When I connect it to the computer it shows up as 24! separate drives (which windows cant mount due to them being a Linux format).  If I connect it to a Linux computer 5 of the drives will auto mount.  Under windows it shows up as a marshall london composite usb device 9006 and I tired following this guide: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/updated-29-03-2016-mega-unbrick-guide-for-a-hard-bricked-oneplus-2.347607/page-5 (see post #84) but when I tried installing the drivers under windows 10 it said they were the wrong ones.  I did manage to install the Qualcomm USB Composite Device 9006 by downloading this file: http://www.yuplaygod.com/files/YUPHORIA/YUPHORIA_drivers-v1.0.zip but that is as far as I got.  Since Linux can see the partitions could I somehow recover them manually with the stock firmware image that is meant to be flashed with odin?  I can attach a log file I found on one of the partitions if that would help.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE unbricking
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 07:05:36 am »
And you can't boot into recovery at all?
Gone for good

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 07:30:03 am »
it will not go into download mode?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 01:33:55 pm »
I cant get any image on the screen no matter what button combinations I use (vol down + power, vol up + power, vol down + vol up + power).  The most I can get is the usb disconnect reconnect sound from the pc when I hold the power button down long enough (even with different vol keys pressed).

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:21:10 pm »
Well, a bit more challenging.

Really depends on what they did, thry could have really messed up the partition table or the partitions themselves. I know it's a Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE, what is the model number you have?
Gone for good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 02:08:36 am »
The full model number on the back of the device is SGH-I957D.  I am attaching a zip file of screen shots of what this device looks like under Linux as well as a few log files.  After poking around in the accessible folders I think they tried to convert this to a Bell network device (this would be model number SGH-I957M).  If anyone has any other locations to look for log files let me know.

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 02:24:06 am »
Unfortunately if it will not go into download mode you must jtag the motherboard or replace it. i have a box of dead phones from people corrupting the emmc's.

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 02:32:02 am »
try this, take battery out
plug in usb cable to phone and pc
hold both vol up and down only....
put battery in

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 03:11:35 am »
make sure you install this first. (Run as Administrator) http://developer.samsung.com/technical-doc/view.do?v=T000000117

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 03:46:05 am »
I will try that but even with the battery disconnected the tablet shows up in device manager as the Qualcomm USB Composite Device 9006 so I don't think it will work.  PS: This is a tablet not a phone.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 04:12:33 am »
Well I just tried it and all that driver install did was make it show up as the marshall london composite usb device 9006 again.  I am pretty sure that if I can fix the content on the partitions it should boot again as I can effectively see all of the flash chip I think.  I have attached a screen cap of what windows sees the partitions as.  I think the active primary partition is the one I need to fix.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 11:19:33 am »
A note about processors in mobile devices, they don't throttle until the service is loaded, so heat doesn't necessarily imply anything. If it's not getting the point of the throttling control, it's not going to idle down.

It's really difficult to tell what is going on with them and unless you can get a point of adb - which if that isn't loading it won't log.

JTAG is the most sure fire way to fix it. That being said if it's something you want to try on your own, it's quite at your own risk, there are some difficulties involved. Part of the trouble is the partition scheme can quite vary from different models, so if they did something that messed up the partitions themselves it's a bit difficult to recover from.

If the wrong boot/recovery/system partition was flashed then it would still likely be able to go to download mode, the fact that it doesn't is not a great sign.

The stock boot partition would probably be around 5 or 6 mb.

Stock ROM is available here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/7396/I957DUXLI2_I957DTLSLI2_TLS/

I'm afraid I'm not too much more help here.  :-\

Gone for good

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 07:03:08 pm »
you can try an old school samsung usb jig to try to force dowload mode they are only around $5 or you can make you own. Does ODIN detect the tablet?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:05:12 pm by BMW528i »

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 07:20:31 pm »
try finding a computer with a clean install of windows 7 to work on and install that previous driver i sent you, you may get different results

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 02:30:51 am »
Ok, I think I have made some progress.  I found the info on where the partitions are suppose to be here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1872555&page=3.  I think have placed the boot img file in the mmcblk0p8 partition (which is labeled on Linux as sdc8) and the recovery img file in the /dev/block/mmcblk0p22 partition (which is labeled sdc22 in Linux).  I thin followed this guide https://theunlockr.com/2012/11/07/how-to-install-clockworkmod-recovery-on-the-samsung-galaxy-tab-8-9-sgh-i957/ and downloaded odin 1.85 and have had it detect my device as 0:[COM4] in yellow.  When I tried to actually start the program it got stuck on <ID:0/004> SetupConnection.. got any ideas?  This is on my Win 10 machine that is currently seeing the tablet as marshall london composite usb device 9006.  Would it be a better idea to try this on a Win XP machine?  I do not have any Win 7 computers at my disposal right now.

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 06:32:29 am »
it does not not seem to be going into download mode, not all hope it lost. the usb jig may be you last resort

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 06:33:51 am »
windows xp is a better option if you load the driver also

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 06:50:22 am »
^^^That might actually do the trick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 09:19:16 am »
Well here is the interesting thing.  The tablet will show up as just the list of partitions with or without the battery connected.  When I tried the odin connection I first pressed the vol up and down buttons and then the power button until windows made the usb disconnect reconnect sound and then let go of all buttons.  The device showed up and disappeared from odin twice and then stayed showed up.  While this was happening windows was poping up dialogue boxes about wanting to format one of the raw partitions on the tablet.  I have tried both ignoring the boxes and closing them down but it makes no difference to the failure of odin.  My processer is not a NIVIDA chip so I dont think the guide for the Tab 10.1 will work for me.  I will look into making the USB jig cable as I have a second clone cable available that I can take apart.  I think I can also make a serial cable but I am unsure as to how to wire it up.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 03:14:50 am »
Ok, when I connected the tablet on a windows xp machine it showed up as qualcomm cdma technologies msm in device manager (but no driver) and some other device that is also showing all the partitions.  I was able to find a different program (heimdall) from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2146069.  I used the this guide: http://www.galaxyforums.net/forum/samsung-fascinate-hacking/2301-simple-step-step-odin-heimdall-recovery-how-unbrick-your-fascinate.html to install the driver (which now shows as qualcomm cdma technologies msm (Interface 0) but then I found out that the program does not run under windows xp!  Gaa!  The tablet does not show up under odin in windows xp.  Also the USB jig cable wont work with my device due to it having a 30 pin custom Samsung connector.  Got any other ideas?  My only jtag cable is a parallel port wiggler cable that I don't think will work with this tablet.

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 04:06:58 am »
the usb jig will work as you can plug a standard micro usb cable into half of the samsung connector. my note 3 has the 30 pin connector too its dual purpose

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 04:09:18 am »
but that link did go into detail about draining the battery before going into download mode, that would be something to try

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 04:10:26 am »
never mind yours must have the old style 30 pin connector hmm....

Offline BMW528i

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 04:19:55 am »
Try holding just the volume up and power button to get into download mode

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf