Author Topic: Sapphire AMD Radeon 6670 dead - transistor identification required please!  (Read 3001 times)

Offline RichB93Topic starter

Hi all,

First off, I want to thank Dave for his fantastic blog and content on YouTube. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to electronics, but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to get stuck in!  ;D

Anyhow, I recently bought a Sapphire AMD Radeon 6670 graphics card on eBay; it was advertised as untested and upon looking at it, I noticed there was a huge hole in transistor Q4 on the PCB. It made it nearly impossible to read the part number but I *think* it was possibly 1417 3M03, or 3W03.

Anyway, is anyone here able to advise on where I can get a replacement, or if I indeed have the right part number. Long shot but if anyone has the same card and can provide a definite part number I'd be over the moon.

Cheers for the help guys!

Rich

EDIT: Here's a picture of a similar board - Not the same but a similar layout and very possibly similar power requirements.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:00:46 pm by RichB93 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Google: smd marking 3W03 gives http://www.smd-ic.net/product.aspx?id=381801
that identifies TC3W03FU in a VFSOP8/SSOP8 package that is wrong for Q4.
But do you get the idea and process?  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline andtfoot

• Supporter
Q4 on that similar board photo you posted appears to be a 1117 regulator in a SOT223 package (e.g. http://www.ti.com/product/lm1117-n, http://www.linear.com/product/LT1117).
I would guess it is the adjustable version, based on the nearby pair of resistors.

Wow, many thanks guys! I've sourced it online and shall order one to see if I can revive this card; it's worth a try surely?! I'll keep ya'll posted on the results! Thanks again for helping out a complete newbie and being so helpful despite me being somewhat rude and 'barging' in asking for help on my first post! :P

Rich

Hmm... Well as a quick update, I did replace the transistor and said component now gets very hot! I have no idea as to what could be wrong with this card due to my limited knowledge, but if anyone else wants me to take some high resolution scans or pictures and wants a crack at it, I'm all ears :)

Rich

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
The LM1117-N is available in an adjustable version, which can set the output voltage from 1.25V to 13.8V with only two external resistors. In addition, it is also available in five fixed voltages, 1.8V, 2.5V, 2.85V, 3.3V, and 5V.

Which did you order? It isn't a transistor.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:19:17 pm by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
Hmm... Well as a quick update, I did replace the transistor and said component now gets very hot! I have no idea as to what could be wrong with this card due to my limited knowledge, but if anyone else wants me to take some high resolution scans or pictures and wants a crack at it, I'm all ears :)

Rich

It's not a transistor, it's a linear regulator.  What IC did you use there, can you tell use the exact part name?  Did you buy the adjustable version or a fixed voltage version?

Heat generally means that something uses a lot of energy making the regulator work too hard. Could be a short circuit on the output of that linear regulator or a device consuming more power than what the regulator can handle.

If you have a multimeter, you can check for short circuits on the output of the linear regulator.  Post a picture of your card, with the new component that you used.

Offline ijchan223

• Contributor
where are you located at ? I have a 6770 that can be used to for parts if you are in the states.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
In general a good start when looking for a spec sheet for a MOSFET found on motherboard or GPU is to check Alpha & Omega Semiconductor. Motherboard and GPU manufactureres seem to love those.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf