Author Topic: Saunders and Associates 150b crystal impedance meter  (Read 837 times)

Offline ralphk

Saunders and Associates 150b crystal impedance meter
« on: February 27, 2018, 07:44:41 am »
I have one the crystal impedance meters and is simply reading all 0's or F's on the display. I don't have a manual or service manual either. I've google searched for a manual to no avail, and so far my voice mails to the company have gone unanswered. If anyone has a copy of a manual, or even better, a service manual it would be incredibly useful before I attempt a repair. Thanks,

Ralph

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Saunders and Associates 150b crystal impedance meter
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:21:06 am »
All I could find is Brooke Clarke's website PRC68.com, with 150C and 150B he says "the diagrams in the on line 150C manual are unreadable." You might ask what he's got.

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 12:23:28 pm »
Have you looked at the manual for the 150C?  It may or may not be very similar to your 150B.

Ed

Offline ralphk

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 05:41:29 am »
Thanks Ed and floobydust for the tip to look for the 150c manual. I was able to find a high quality pdf after google searching for the 150c and it is at userequip.com. A cursory glance looks like the units are indeed very similar, should get me a long way to troubleshooting what the problem is.

Regards,
Ralph

Offline (*steve*)

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 02:02:59 am »
I have one of these (the 150b) and it seems to work for a short while before the display changes to 5E5Exxxx (xxxx seems random).  Even after powering down and back up I get 5E5E0000.

I have a massive 208 page 150C manual, but I don't see a mention of this.

edit: Oh, if I press all three switches down before the unit fails it shows CCCCCCC6, which I think indicates mode 6.  I also can't seem find out what mode 6 is...

edit 2: Three filter caps on the power supply (100uF 50V) were dead.  Measured 72uF 4R3 ESR, 42uF 69R ESR, and completely open circuit.  After replacing these with 220uF 63V low ESR caps, the display is less flickery, measurements seem more stable, but it still stops after a while with 5E5Exxxx.  However, the three terminal regulators seem VERY warm.  Are they shutting down?  There's more caps in the power supply, I think I'll replace them all.  I'm thinking that the device is either drawing too much current or the switching regulator providing an input voltage to the regulators is running at too high a voltage... 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:13:22 pm by (*steve*) »

Offline alocam

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 10:38:51 am »
Hello, I was searching info related to the 150 series, and found this thread. I guess I have downloaded the 150b service manual, I should have to dig in my server a bit, but may be you have already got such info. In case you didn't, let me know and I'll try to search the pdf file.

Regards

Offline rizal5478

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 04:05:12 pm »
I have one of these (the 150b) and it seems to work for a short while before the display changes to 5E5Exxxx (xxxx seems random).  Even after powering down and back up I get 5E5E0000.

I have a massive 208 page 150C manual, but I don't see a mention of this.

edit: Oh, if I press all three switches down before the unit fails it shows CCCCCCC6, which I think indicates mode 6.  I also can't seem find out what mode 6 is...

edit 2: Three filter caps on the power supply (100uF 50V) were dead.  Measured 72uF 4R3 ESR, 42uF 69R ESR, and completely open circuit.  After replacing these with 220uF 63V low ESR caps, the display is less flickery, measurements seem more stable, but it still stops after a while with 5E5Exxxx.  However, the three terminal regulators seem VERY warm.  Are they shutting down?  There's more caps in the power supply, I think I'll replace them all.  I'm thinking that the device is either drawing too much current or the switching regulator providing an input voltage to the regulators is running at too high a voltage...
Have you solve this issue?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf