Author Topic: Semi working r9 270  (Read 2771 times)

Offline nocniTopic starter

Semi working r9 270
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:31:08 am »
HI to all on this blog this is my first post here, i read some informative infos here, now my question,
i have  r9 270, when i turn on pc graphic card gives black screen,cant acces bios black from the start, pc boots windows i hear welcome sound i can start music via keyboard..  tried all ports dvi hdmi, pc works normal with other graphic cards, dont have integrated graphics , i have cleared bios, cables and psu are ok, problem is 100% is hardware related, card itself is visually undamaged, now i have multimetar soldering gun etc.. i did fix in past broken tv, monitors, audio equipment, fixed a few graphic card as well but nothing major caps and dead mosfets . I did notice when starting pc and booting up windows black screen is on gpu is heating up normaly not overheating, but little glitch beside no picture is that fan on the card is spinning at allmost 100percent (other card change rpm normaly),i have software installed to change fan speed cant access it since black screen issue, my first impression was that there were some cold solder left from gpu towards outputs, but now this fan problem is making me rethink, any suggestion or info would be helpful this is exact card info https://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-r9-270-dual-x-2gb-graphics-card-review/2/

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Semi working r9 270
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 12:04:44 pm »
Full fan speed means that graphics card is not starting. Might be corrupted GPU bios, no voltage on some power rail, dead GPU chip.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 12:22:56 pm »
There were no bios modification done to card, it didnt die while gaming just normal shut down and tomorow black screen. as i said gpu is worm and windows boots up fine but black screen is on, voltage problem could be from pci slot or 6pinn conector side of the card which is more likely since pc boots up without errors right? any thoughts?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 12:45:56 pm »
There were no bios modification done to card, it didnt die while gaming just normal shut down and tomorow black screen.
Flashing GPU bios is not a requirement for it's corruption. Check if your computer boots without GPU at all.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:32:18 pm by wraper »

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 01:08:42 pm »
Yep just checked, it boots windows without card hear the sound, i have old broken hd6750 that wont alove windows boot up on this mboard, had some cards in past that even shutdowns pc after few second, but i am not sure that it was on this mboard frankly.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 02:49:48 pm »
Maybe its your PSU that doesn't like the load?
Power rating and brand/model?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 03:23:54 pm »
Maybe its your PSU that doesn't like the load?
Power rating and brand/model?
no, PSU would just shut down in such case.

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 06:29:26 pm »
Do you get any artifacts in the screen when you boot or shut down or during operation ?
Graphic cards are quite difficult to troubleshoot without proper equipment (beyond the simple things)

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 07:38:22 pm »
No artifacts pc was shut down properly, and tomorrow black screen when i tried to boot it up, card wasnt used for mining or heavy gaming, few hours weekly for light gaming. I will try when i have time to put card in second pci slot, and will try to flash official bios, then i will have some more info like does atiflash recognize the card and if reflashing bios repairs problem. I ruled out Vrm because gpu was heating up, i dont know now if i am right about that, my initial thought was that it was just output problem...

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 11:37:22 pm »
When graphic cards break they almost always do so for two reasons.

Vram is gone (might as well throw it away unless you happen to have exact same memory around from another card and have pre-heater microscope and all other needed equipment)
GPU is done (Might as well throw it away for same reasons as above)

Some cases where there are physical damage to components you might give a try replacing effected part.

I suggest you do all the software hardware side tests (ie try it in another mobo if possible etc)
Then the software side.

It is a bit long shot but worth trying.

Best of luck with the card :/ one thing please do not go poking the card with multi meter while it is powered  :phew:

Maybe someone else can give some more in dept advise my knowledge is limited  :-//

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 08:12:29 am »

Vram is gone (might as well throw it away unless you happen to have exact same memory around from another card and have pre-heater microscope and all other needed equipment)
As his card is not starting at all, IMO he has a pretty good chance that RAM and GPU is fine. If he had artifacts or GPU crashing during 3D load, I would agree with that.

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 11:36:47 pm »

As his card is not starting at all, IMO he has a pretty good chance that RAM and GPU is fine. If he had artifacts or GPU crashing during 3D load, I would agree with that.

Non "starting" card do not mean that Vram or Gpu is funcitional it is the opposite it is more likely (unless software or power issue) that there is some serious issues in the card.

Then again like i have said diagnosing such problems without suitable equipment is quite hard..

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 11:40:22 pm »
Non "starting" card do not mean that Vram or Gpu is funcitional it is the opposite it is more likely (unless software or power issue) that there is some serious issues in the card.

Then again like i have said diagnosing such problems without suitable equipment is quite hard..
Who said there is no serious issue with the card or GPU and RAM should be OK? All I said he has a good chance it's not GPU or RAM. If there were artifacts it would be close to 100% chance for that.

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 11:46:14 pm »

Who said there is no serious issue with the card or GPU and RAM should be OK? All I said he has a good chance it's not GPU or RAM. If there were artifacts it would be close to 100% chance for that.

Well that would be ... YOU!  :box:

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 01:32:41 pm »
Well that would be ... YOU!  :box:
Please point out where I said it's not serious issue. Have you ever repaired any graphics card? Do you consider faulty VRM as not serious issue and not significant for operation? Also please read one of my previous posts:
Full fan speed means that graphics card is not starting. Might be corrupted GPU bios, no voltage on some power rail, dead GPU chip.
You seem to have some extraordinary knowledge to automatically point any fault to GPU and RAM.
Best of luck with the card :/ one thing please do not go poking the card with multi meter while it is powered  :phew:
One of the stupidest things I ever read. So how he is supposed to check voltages on power rails?
Maybe someone else can give some more in dept advise my knowledge is limited  :-//
Seems so. Also you didn't read about the issue OP has. He said there is no video output, you asked about artifacts  :palm:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:47:28 pm by wraper »

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 06:52:17 pm »
Dear wraper i think it is best to get back to the topic.
I am sure OP has no interest in "our" personal "conflict"

Also i advise the OP wait for some advise that comes from source that has better knowledge in such repairs as i can only give some general advise.
And please do not follow his instructions as they are based on his "attempt" to "I know something"

So best just be careful and not mess around with things or start poking around cards that can draw pretty high currents you really do not want to go shorting something.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 07:23:52 pm »
Also i advise the OP wait for some advise that comes from source that has better knowledge in such repairs as i can only give some general advise.
I repaired not that many graphics cards but I indeed did some, including GPU replacement. Also I replaced GPUs on laptop motherboards. I have my own hot air and IR stations.
And please do not follow his instructions as they are based on his "attempt" to "I know something"
:palm: At least I already helped OP to figure out that his graphics card is actually completely dead and not partially working as he thought. Then came you and basically said there is no hope as it must be GPU or RAM faulty. And at the same time said you have no experience  :-//.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:25:58 pm by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf