Author Topic: Fluorescent tube and led lights compatibility  (Read 1093 times)

Offline RutherbergTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fluorescent tube and led lights compatibility
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:27:37 pm »
Hello,

I made a small electrical installation in a garden shed, a small switchboard, some AC outlets, a fluorescent tube inside, and a flood light + led light with PIR detector (Philips myGarden).

There is some funny business between my led lighting and the fluorescent tube.
When I switched the fluorescent tube on and off for the first time, I noticed the flood light leds made some flashes, although controlled by a different switch.
The switches for the tube and the flood light are unipolar, so the neutral is common.
After few more on and off of the tube, the flood light stopped working, and the led light with PIR detection stayed ON all the time (PIR detector broken I suppose)

What could be the cause of this ?
It looks like the tube generates nasty spikes in the circuit and the led lighting doesn't seem to like it.
I double checked my circuit and connections. The upstream installation is certified. I really don't understand.
I replaced the starter in the tube frame, but still the same. Could it be caused by a defect ballast ?

The flood light uses a BP5136 IC to drive the leds, and all the circuit is powered by main directly rectified, MOV before and after the bridge and a X2 capacitor. Very basic power supply.

Thanks

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluorescent tube and led lights compatibility
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:22:42 pm »
Fluorescent lamps with magnetic ballasts do have some high voltage spikes during starting, and the common LED lights do not have any sort of surge protection in them, so the spikes from starting the lamp will kill them. Not helped with a long supply cable, as it adds inductance.

Solutions are to get some MOV protection for the new lights, 275VAC units, wired directly across the light fitting, after the switch, to protect them when on, and to replace the fluorescent lamp with the LED versions, lower power use, instant light and most are a simple retrofit on 230VAC, just needing you to change the tube with the LED tube, and replace the starter with the one supplied, which is a simple fuse. While you are there get some plug in surge arrestors, will help with things like power tools that also will generate spikes.

Online jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:55:26 pm »
Please aim the floodlight down, not at the horizon.
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 01:54:37 pm »
Does the fluorescent lamp have an X2 suppression cap between line and neutral? However, I agree with SeanB to replace the fluorescent tube with an LED one (also bridge the magnetic ballast, it's not needed any longer).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf