Author Topic: Siglent SDS1204X-E Flexible Printed Cable J12 connector P/N?  (Read 887 times)

Offline kerouantonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Just curious about science, radio etc.
    • Sometimes I play with radio
Siglent SDS1204X-E Flexible Printed Cable J12 connector P/N?
« on: August 16, 2023, 06:14:28 pm »
Hello,

While tearing down my (out of warranty) Siglent SDS1204X-E in order to add JTAG and RS232 outputs on the PCB, I inadvertently broke the small black bar that locks the Flexible Printed Cable connector for the LCD screen on the white connector (J12). It seems to be a 52-pin connector (rough count), but I wasn't able to retrieve the Part Number. If anyone can help me get the part number, I'd be able to order a spare connector, get the black lock bar from it to place it back on the already soldered J12 connector.

Many thanks! would be appreciated. cc @tautech maybe?

Bruno

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS1204X-E Flexible Printed Cable J12 connector P/N?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 10:21:31 am »
Yes they are fragile if not worked correctly however if the full locking bar remains, when locked in place it should not shift even if broken.

BTW, what are you hoping to achieve from sniffing the data busses ?  :-//
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 10:24:38 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 11:35:47 am »
BTW, what are you hoping to achieve from sniffing the data busses ?  :-//

I'm just learning JTAG on ARM cores and FPGA and thought it would be convenient to test that on the SDS, since it has all of this embedded on the mother board, as long as (it seems) JTAG connectors ready to be soldered.

About the issue, I fear it's worse than expected. The FPC ribbon cable seems to have a short, and the LCD backlight doesn't seem to turn on. I downloaded the service manual and should make some tests (as soon as I am back home, I don't have my full lab with me). I really hope there is no damage. Has anyone ever had this issue before?

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 11:40:40 am »
Is it burned? Tinned? Or just damaged?
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 11:47:03 am »
It seems tinned but wasn't a few minutes before I took the picture. In short, the small black locking bar from the connector broke at one end, and the cable wasn't safetened any more correctly and could move away. It resulted by the backlight being on but no image, or image but with the wrong colors (most probably due to misalignment of the flat cable and the connector). I tried to replace the cable back in place, while watching the screen to see if the colors were going back to normal, but I guess a short appeared and the screen went black. When I removed the ribbon cable I saw this "tinned" aspect on the right side of the connector, and my guess is there was a short on this part (VCC for backlight??) that melted the connector and/or cable?

I'm away from home for a couple of days and won't be able to check anything sooner, I just fear I've broken the whole scope...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 08:23:15 am »
These ribbon cables are available as a spare part however I don't know if EU branch will hold stock of any.
IIRC they terminate onto the rear of the display into another connector block which then terminates into a mylar flat cable to the LCD.
You do need almost completely dismantle the scope however it is not too difficult with a selection of Torx screwdrivers plus some other basic tools.

With luck Siglent Germany can also help you with a dud mainboard to extract the ribbon cable connectors from.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: kerouanton

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 03:38:50 pm »
These ribbon cables are available as a spare part however I don't know if EU branch will hold stock of any.
IIRC they terminate onto the rear of the display into another connector block which then terminates into a mylar flat cable to the LCD.
You do need almost completely dismantle the scope however it is not too difficult with a selection of Torx screwdrivers plus some other basic tools.

With luck Siglent Germany can also help you with a dud mainboard to extract the ribbon cable connectors from.

Thank you very much, I'll contact Siglent Germany ! I'm also looking forward to see the upcoming HD version, maybe that will be an option. Have a nice day.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf