Author Topic: Solartron 7081 Earthy Processor Board Reverse Engineering  (Read 570 times)

Offline ElecluTopic starter

• Contributor
Solartron 7081 Earthy Processor Board Reverse Engineering
« on: April 14, 2024, 05:33:30 pm »
A few months ago I purchased a Solartron 7081 on Ebay and the Earthy Processor Board was missing. So I took the schematics and designed a new pcb :box:
The modernized design features a super cap for data storage, only two SMD SRAM-Chips and the original firmware on a single larger EPROM. The whole PCB is  routed on 2 layers and can be manufactured bei JLCPCB or PCBWay. Maybe someone may find this useful :D
If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Solartron 7081 Earthy Processor Board Reverse Engineering
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 09:31:20 pm »
The super capacitor should likely only power part of the RAM. In the plan it looks like it would power the whole 5 V part.

At the EPROM  /OE is wired to GND. Not sure this is a good idea, as it could cause issues with a  DMA or if for some reason a write to a EPROM is address is done.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 09:55:26 pm »
The negative terminal of the super cap is connected to the SRAM VSS-pins and Q2. When there isnt any 5V supply, Q2 will prohibit the currentflow to the rest of the circuit.
/OE is the output enable signal and must be pulled low (Take a look at the public available 7081 schematics).  The EPROM is UV erasable and this circuit will never try to write to it, nor the firmware. It can not provide the programming voltage.
This circuit runs in my multimeter for three weeks now without any issues.

Offline perdrix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 12:40:49 am »
A fine piece of work!

My only concern would be that you made it two layer board as that's more likely to emit EMI that will interfere with the floating boards esp. the analogue board.

What software did you use for the design?   Was it KiCad or Multisim/Ultiboard?  If so would you be prepared to share the files?
Do you have a BOM as well?

David

« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 12:43:00 am by perdrix »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 09:13:00 am »
Is the original earthy processor board really more then two layers? The earthy logic board is also only two layers and this board is original.
But maybe a four layer layout reduces the noise of the meter. This pcb be would not be as cheap. The size needs to be 16cm bei 15cm, so the original mounting hardware can be used.

This pcb was created with KiCAD. I included the whole project folder with BOM. Feel free to use it :)

Edit: Attached corrected files
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 11:27:51 am by Eleclu »

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 09:23:37 am »
With a little care in the layout the EMI should be OK.

I would not expect EMI from the µC baord to make much difference with the meters noise. The main tricky point is EMI causing some extra offset depending on the signal source. The demodulation from RF to soem offset can be in the meter itself, but also at the DUT (e.g. ref. source).

AFAIR much of the noise is a thing of limited resolution for the faster conversions. With the slow 8 digit mode there is amplifier noise from multiple sources and thermal fluctuations can also become an issue.

Offline perdrix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 11:04:38 am »
Is the original earthy processor board really more then two layers?
 :
 :
This pcb was created with KiCAD. I included the whole project folder with BOM. Feel free to use it :)

Yes, the original is a 4 layer board with +5VE and 0VE (GND) as inner planes.

Many thanks for the project files, I will see what I can do to convert to a 4 layer board, and also maybe add the DAC that monitors the Data Bus (though that's probably only useful it you have the source code).   This won't happen soon though.

Cheers
David

Offline perdrix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 11:11:43 am »
With a little care in the layout the EMI should be OK.

R723 in the ACV circuit was relocated to reduce pickup of EMI in later revisions of the floating analogue board.   So clearly, that was considered a problem.

David

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 11:23:11 am »
A sheet of thin copper foil, laminated in a reasonable weight laminating pouch, makes a decent EMI screen. Cut the copper sheet to shape if necessary before laminating and then cut the finished sheet to maintain a sealed margin around the foil. Obviously place / stick it as close to the earthly board and as far as possible from the floating analogue board.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline perdrix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 11:45:02 am »
I just ran the DRC against the PCB:

Code: [Select]
** Found 3 DRC violations **
[clearance]: Clearance violation (netclass 'Default' clearance 0.2000 mm; actual 0.0000 mm)
    Rule: netclass 'Default'; Severity: error
    @(0.2500 mm, -0.3000 mm): Polygon on F.Cu
    @(26.0000 mm, 26.0000 mm): Zone [GND] on F.Cu
[lib_footprint_issues]: The current configuration does not include the library 'Custom'.
    Local override; Severity: warning
    @(113.0300 mm, 163.8300 mm): Footprint IC3
[lib_footprint_issues]: The current configuration does not include the library 'Custom'.
    Local override; Severity: warning
    @(92.7100 mm, 152.4000 mm): Footprint IC2

I can understand it complaining about a missing footprint library for IC2 and IC3.   I don't quite understand why the clearance violation that seems associated to JP1 is happening?

David

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 12:26:05 pm »
I would like to make sure that my 2 layer pcb doesnt harm the meters noise performance. I will later post a graph of a little noise test.
Thank you perdrix  :) I didnt know that this is a 4 layer board. It shouldnt be to hard to convert this PCB to a 4 layer one. The large copper fills on the outside of the pcb could easily be moved to the inner layers. I didnt include this DAC, because on every version of this board I could find, it was never populated. This exact DAC is also a pretty expensive part today. But for completeness it doesnt hurt to include the necessary footprints.

@Gyro Do you mean a vertical shield between the earthy and floating halfes of the meter? Or between the 2 earthy boards?

Regarding the DRC. The clearance issue is very strange and I noticed this too. There is a little smd normally closed jumper link. This SMD jumper link is embedded in the large ground plane. I think the DRC complains about missing thermal relief or the copper pour getting in between the jumper pads. I ended up just ignoring this error, because it doesnt matter.

Here is a little test of my meter with drift correction enabled, 8x9 and test0V. Is this normal for this meter? I didnt do any modifications to it by now. I will change the floating firmware to the bugfix by MickleT.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 12:48:53 pm by Eleclu »

Offline perdrix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 10:49:49 am »
I just noticed this:

I'm sure that wasn't intended!

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 11:09:41 am »
Yes this was definitly not intended. I will fix the mistakes and update the files.
Thank you for taking a careful look at the files :)
This mistake happend after some minor corrections, which were necessary as I tested the first pcb version.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf