Author Topic: SOMMER 200 Twist Short Circuit  (Read 887 times)

Offline black-wolfTopic starter

SOMMER 200 Twist Short Circuit
« on: June 16, 2021, 08:16:24 am »
Hi,

Last sunday I woke to not having any lights at home. After some investigation I found that the cause was the controller for my garage door.
After some visual inspection I've found some corrosion(1) and a burn mark (2). The most probable culpright seems to be the burn. There was some gunk over it that I think was some insect that crawled over the PCB and got zapped.

I'm a begginer at electronics and able to do some basic repairs but this is the first time I have a burned pcb on my hands. Is this reparable or the burn killed the board?
This board is still at sale on the manufacturer's site by about 200€ (Part Number: 2259V000).

Thanks for reading
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 08:34:12 am by black-wolf »

Offline FireBird

• Regular Contributor
Re: SOMMER 200 Twist Short Circuit
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 09:58:33 am »
I don’t think that an insect can burn so hot that it will burn the whole PCB. Especially if the burn mark doesn’t seem to be between two solder joints – at least as far I can identify on the picture. I would unsolder the 3 capacitors (X- and Y capacitors) and check if they started to burn. The one marked with 2 is suspiciously close to the burn mark.

Offline TheMG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 01:22:52 pm »
Looks like moisture related damage. Corrosion at number 1 on the picture, which appears to be on the low voltage side. At number 2, looks like carbon tracking possibly also a result of moisture on the board. Make sure to clean off all of the black carbon.

Is the fuse under the green cover on the far left popped?

Overall looks quite repairable, fairly minor damage (visually anyways).

But definitely investigate how water is getting into the enclosure!

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 02:30:58 pm »
hi, seems easily repairable, being a beginner try to remove all 220V parts (I mean the caps/ptc from the burnt area) and check them, you may got a trace gone in magic smoke, you may miss it. try to replace the caps if dead
of course clean with some acetone or alcohol the pcb on bottom side at least

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 03:26:33 pm »
Pointer 2 looks to me more like a trace vaporized due to something else shorting or a huge power surge.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 04:34:00 pm »
exactly what i pointed, but the surge may be not so huge, a track may die from 10 amps

Offline fordem

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 07:41:27 pm »
Last sunday I woke to not having any lights at home. After some investigation I found that the cause was the controller for my garage door.

What I would be concerned about is why a short circuit in your garage door controller took out the power to what appears to be ALL the lights in your home.  I don't know what the code is like where you are, but where I am a garage door opener would be connected to a power outlet, and power outlet circuits are not permitted on the same breaker as lighting circuits - additionally lighting circuits would/should be distributed across multiple breakers so a trip on a single breaker would/should not cause ALL the lights to go out.

If you really did wake to not having any lights at home, I'd say you have bigger issues than a garage door controller to worry about.

Offline TheMG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 11:05:57 pm »

What I would be concerned about is why a short circuit in your garage door controller took out the power to what appears to be ALL the lights in your home.

I have no idea what the requirements are for electrical in Portugal, but in some countries they have a GFI/RCD as the main breaker, which means if the fault caused some current to flow to ground, it would have tripped the RCD killing power to the whole home.

I know the UK and Australia do it this way, and some other countries. Seems kind of silly to me, as a ground fault anywhere in the house takes everything out, rather than one individual circuit. Here in Canada GFI/RCD and AFCI protection are required on some individual circuits, not on the main to the whole house! But I suppose they have their reasons.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf