Author Topic: Sony 50" TV KDL-50W800B LED TV Faulty  (Read 846 times)

Offline WaynesWorldTopic starter

• Contributor
Sony 50" TV KDL-50W800B LED TV Faulty
« on: October 19, 2021, 11:25:33 am »
Hi. I inherited one of these in a non-working order.

The unit powered on. Backlight on, but no picture or sound.

After a bit of reading on here and the internet in general, and some YT vids, I came to the conclusion it must be the T-con board. I think I even did some voltage tests to confirm this. Unfortunately, I didn't take note of the power LED diagnostics.

I order an exact replacement from AE for about $11. Ordered a second from a different seller for about the same.

The first one arrived and I just installed it. Initially it blinked the red LED 5 times. I reseated the cables to the T-con board and powered again.

No backlight this time - just Continuous alternating orange(amber) and green light. I can't find any reference to this in the service manual or on the web.

What did I mess up?

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Sony 50" TV KDL-50W800B LED TV Faulty
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 11:33:39 am »
If you return the original board, does it work as it did previously? All of those T-CON boards on ebay are pulls from scrapped TVs, very likely untested. So there is a large chance you received a faulty board.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 01:17:33 pm »
Emmc issues are common in these models.
Simply replacing and programming the emmc is not enough, the system is linked to the emmc unique  ID.
There's a way, but it's not public, only certain tools can do it.
Search "Sony w800(b/c..) emmc" for more info.
I have 55w808, crossing my fingers after 5 years...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 01:19:07 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline WaynesWorldTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 10:55:58 am »
If you return the original board, does it work as it did previously? All of those T-CON boards on ebay are pulls from scrapped TVs, very likely untested. So there is a large chance you received a faulty board.
With the original board, I get the back light only.

According to some other sites, the flashing orange and green means it needs a software update. I downloaded the latest from Sony and followed the procedure in the service manual. The procedure on the Sony official site also included steps to reset. No luck either way.

I was hoping to have the second board by now so I could report but still hasn't arrived.

Emmc issues are common in these models.
Simply replacing and programming the emmc is not enough, the system is linked to the emmc unique  ID.
There's a way, but it's not public, only certain tools can do it.
Search "Sony w800(b/c..) emmc" for more info.
I have 55w808, crossing my fingers after 5 years...
I've researched EMMC but can't find too much on it. What is it? How does one program the EMMC, and what more is required that being not enough?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf