Author Topic: SONY DVP-S9000ES dead  (Read 1171 times)

Offline paronaramTopic starter

• Contributor
SONY DVP-S9000ES dead
« on: April 17, 2024, 06:31:42 pm »
Hello Everybody,

I could not resist the urge and got myself a PROJECT  ::) none working SONY DVP-S9000ES SACD/DVD/CD player. Was not expensive, and it was a local pickup.
I know that this is a "newer" device (2001?) and it's pretty complex, and it's a little above my electronic skills, but  I was hoping it would be something with standby PS or something along those lines, but it's not ... (?)
The unit is dead, not even on standby red LED... If anybody ever troubleshot this player before, I would love to hear your comments

Thank you!

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
Re: SONY DVP-S9000ES dead
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 06:53:52 pm »
The Service manual is available. (eg https://elektrotanya.com/sony_dvp-s9000es.pdf/download.html).  Check if there are the requisite voltages coming out of the PSU.  Check the fuse F101.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 01:42:48 am »
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, already have a Service manual, and I did some investigation, here is what we have so far:

From User manual, I learned that when DVD Player is plugged into the outlet and you press the Power button, you should get a red LED above the power button and when you press Eject, the device should be completely turned ON. (or via Remote, power on)

So I got very excited, that ahaaa missing standby +5V somewhere!, but no (those you see in YT videos only  :(
Power from the wall gets on the first board that they call AC-113, that board also has the relay that we need to click.

AC-113 also has 5V reg that is working, and that 5V travels via CN106 to board FR-172, where we have some type of voltage doubler that makes that 5V to 30V I get those voltages too on the board connector. All voltages are there on FR-172 every IC and transistor w/voltage markings are OK

I am looking for something called P.CONT on pin2 of that CN106 so I can turn power relay on

I hope it's not some kinda of microprocessor (I see one down in the chain board FL-114 IC204) DVD player is built with super high-quality components, I don't think I have a leaky capacitor!!!

Two questions:
- what is triggering that standby RED LED?
- how do you know in this type of schematic what voltage is there always, and what voltage after unit is ON 

Thank you.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 08:21:05 am »
you have a fail signal pin who would trigger   if i recall  on the schematic

but cant recall if it detect a 50 or 60hz presence, and trigger an Fail  if theses are not detected

and yes  you have an always there 5vdc ...if this one is dead ... nothing will work

the mcu as to drive the pcont  pin  to make the relay click and power up the xformer  etc ... 

yes this  cd player  is complex ,  it's from the Esprit series  ... they where  high tech at the time  loll

you have section 3-10 and 3-11   who explain the power block sections

but i would say,   if you don't have enough knowledge   .... or understanding  it may be difficult

trouble shoot  and don't change parts for nothing, you'll get nowhere
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 08:30:42 am by coromonadalix »

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 10:20:13 am »
I would operate the relay by temporarily connecting its pin 3 or the collector of Q101 to ground.  That should power everything up and the display.  If yes then see if all the controls (except power on/off) work.  If they do than your problem is confined to why the relay is not being operated.  But if the unit is not responding to buttons/remote control then more likely the control microprocessor is more widely involved.

The P.CONT signal comes from pin 24 of IC204 on page 4-79.  The signal passes though the board on page 4-85/86.  That IC204 feeds  the display pins.  Check the Ever+5 and Ever+3.3 voltages on pins 5, 7 and 8 of CN201, page 4-79.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 05:56:38 pm »
Sorry, work got in the way ...
So I tried shorting the collector of Q101 to the ground and I got only SACD front panel LED ON, I also heard the motor going on for 2 sec, and that's about it.
Next I'm planning to check the voltages on CN201... will report back shortly

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 03:16:55 am »
I don't get voltages on CN201:
5 - +5V note there
7 - +3.3V not there
8 - +3.3V not there

also pins 2 and 3 - have nothing, that it's a display tube filament, although this one may come in after relay clicks

Will doublecheck 5v and 3.3v again tomorrow, it's very weird type of connecter (see image above)

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 09:50:31 am »
The EVER+3.3 is derived from EVER+5 by IC101 on page 4-85 so if EVER+5 is down then EVER+3.3 will be down too.

The EVER+5 comes in to 4-85 on pin 4 of CN101.  That connects to pin 4 of CN106 on 4-92.  That comes directly from pin 2 of IC101 which is the 5 Volt regulator.  You said that is working.  Except for FB103 (4-85) which is an inductor there are no components between that regulator output and the 5 Volts input to the 3.3 Volt regulator and the 5 Volts input to the microprocessor board.  Check the continuity of that FB103.  It should be very low resistance.  If it is open I doubt it has failed of its own accord.  More likely excessive current has fused it.  Prime suspects would be the electrolytic C101, IC101 and al the places that EVER5 goes to on 4-81.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 09:38:57 pm »
Located C101 (22uF 16V) ESR 5 \$\Omega\$
I even removed it from the circuit, but still nothing.
Measured ferrite beads:
FB101 - 0.9 \$\Omega\$
FB103 - 1.1 \$\Omega\$
FB104 - 0.3 \$\Omega\$

FB101 and FB104 were measured as a reference
From removed C101 I measured the resistance it was about 1.8k

I still can't measure 3.3v on CN201 but I do have 3.3v on the "BUZZ" board CN301 (4-81) I have 3.3V there, and it the same 3.3V that converted from 5V B+
I think I can't measure 3.3V because by meter leads are too big, tried with the resistor leg wrapped around, and I think I saw something... very weird connector 

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 12:10:17 pm »
You need to confirm if those voltages are  present on the board or not.  The connector is not the only place you can measure.  If you cannot access other points when the board is in situ and powered up, temporarily solder some lengths of wire that you can bring out to your meter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf