Author Topic: Sony TV repair question  (Read 1055 times)

Offline WB8PFZTopic starter

• Contributor
Sony TV repair question
« on: March 25, 2024, 09:39:04 pm »
I have a older Sony TV that has developed a picture problem shown in the 2 pictures. Any help would be appreciated if it is worth fixing. Thanks Mike
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 09:41:21 pm by WB8PFZ »

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Sony TV repair question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 03:52:48 am »
I have a older Sony TV that has developed a picture problem shown in the 2 pictures. Any help would be appreciated if it is worth fixing. Thanks Mike
I fixed TV's for a very long time, This is easy
CONCLUSION : Not worth fixing

You basically have 3 boards in a Non Plasma TV , The Power Board, The Logic Board (Motherboard) , The T-Con Board (Timing controller Board)

T- Con Board Errors are easy to spot, Generally the picture is perfect but it's split in half , Half the screen is black and half is a perfect picture.
this is not your issue

No Power issues are generally a Power board problem, Caps, MOSFETS , Fuses, Bridge rectifier, that sort of thing.

Now.. the dreaded RED BLINKING LIGHT,  that's a Logic Board Problem but can sometimes be a Power board problem.

YOU HAVE A CRACKED PANEL,   that's Physical damage,   you twisted the screen or something and it cracked at the bottom and it split upwards.
Now Technically the solution is....
REPLACE THE PANEL, Sure , Theoretically you could , However it's going to cost you approx $700 to get that panel and then considering that the manufacturer doesn't supply it and you have to source a 2nd hand bloke who has THE EXACT MODEL AND VERSION that you do .
then you have to hope to god that the panel he sold you isn't faulty,  because there are no returns in this game
(and that's if you do it yourself).
If you go out to get a professional to do it,    OK, i would charge you (if you asked me) approx $1500
Now.. You're going to learn very quickly that even though i can be fixed, it's not financially viable to do so, which is why VIDEO REPAIR STORES and TV REPAIR STORES don't really exist anymore, i mean.. you find one here and there but in truth, their main line of business is usually TV Antenna Installations

TV Repair is not a viable PRIMARY business function. we live in a disposable world and you are now learning that.

My advice :
Open the TV,
Take the Power Board
Take the Logic Board
If you're an electronics person, you'll get benefit from it , You can even sell it if you want, it appears that the TV still works other than the crack.

Logic board is around $300 (you could sell it for $200) and Power board is around $200  (you could sell it for $150)
and perhaps with that money LOL.. you could buy a new TV  :-DD  i'ts funny isn't it ?

But the reality of your problem is................   NO.... Not realistically salvagable for repair.
Also your TV is not a 75" or something, it looks like a 30" or thereabouts,  You can buy your TV for around $150
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 03:54:43 am by BTO »
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

The following users thanked this post: Koray

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 04:01:08 am »
Any problem in the panel aside from the backlight LEDs (CCFL not worth messing with) scraps the TV.

Offline WB8PFZTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 11:02:43 am »
Pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the value of the boards.

Offline Paceguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 11:06:33 pm »
Before you junk the set, I would suggest trying to reflow the boards with a hair dryer. I fixed many TV's that developed bad solder connections on those SMT boards by refowing them. If the screen itself is damaged, scrap the set but harvest the boards and sell them on ebay.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 07:05:44 pm »
That is an obvious screen problem, not a BGA mainboard reflow problem.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 09:59:03 am »
So why can't it be some some pixels aren't getting controlled properly?? like faulty sections in an IC ? Why would it have to be a cracked screen ??
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 10:00:52 am by MathWizard »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 10:05:06 am »
Before you junk the set, I would suggest trying to reflow the boards with a hair dryer. I fixed many TV's that developed bad solder connections on those SMT boards by refowing them. If the screen itself is damaged, scrap the set but harvest the boards and sell them on ebay.
A hair dryer doesn’t get anywhere near hot enough to reflow solder.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024, 12:45:38 pm »
If it were a mainboard I.C. problem it would have complete areas of the screen messed up like an upper 1/3 of the picture missing or left 1/2 missing or scrambled. When you see streaks of damage that don't have a uniform shape it is because the damage to the liquid crystal takes on the shape of a spill or how a trickle of rain runs down a windscreen. Digital errors have a certain uniformity where as cracked / broken / damaged screens have a certain undefined look about them. There is one type of screen damage that looks uniform however and that is a fault along the edge where the drive voltage no longer makes contact with conductive paths that are plated onto the glass. Those have a look all their own like a 1/4" band either vertically or horizontally where something is missing like all the red or all the green or looks like a rainbow or maybe just totally black, but it is usually uniform side to side or top to bottom since that is how the screen pixels are addressed. 'Smeary' looking failures are always screen damage.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline Harvinder Singh

• !
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 11:13:57 am »
It looks like your Sony TV is experiencing a picture problem, which could be caused by a variety of issues. Based on the images you provided, it's difficult to pinpoint the exact cause, but there are a few common culprits.

One possibility is a problem with the TV's display panel or backlight. This could be due to a faulty component or connection, or it could indicate more serious damage to the screen itself. Another possibility is an issue with the TV's internal processing, which could be causing the distortion in the image.

In either case, it's worth having a professional TV repair service, such as TV Repair Toronto, take a look at your TV. They can diagnose the issue more accurately and provide you with a cost estimate for repairs. Depending on the age and model of your TV, it may be worth fixing, especially if the issue is minor and the repair cost is reasonable compared to the price of a new TV.

I recommend contacting TV Repair Toronto and scheduling a diagnostic appointment. They'll be able to assess the problem and give you a better idea of whether it's worth fixing your TV.
For more details visit website: [Spam link removed]

EDITED BY MODERATOR: Clearly AI generated spam.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 11:28:07 pm by Halcyon »

Offline Paceguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 12:58:47 pm »
Well, It's worked for me on smt boards.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 07:25:23 pm »
Have you tried it on your hair ?  :P
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2024, 07:51:05 pm »
Well, It's worked for me on smt boards.
It might have done something, but you didn’t reflow it. The air exit temperature of a hair dryer is around 130C at 1cm distance. The air simply is not hot enough to melt solder, and that’s even if the temperature didn’t fall precipitously with distance as it mixes with ambient air, and only if the board weren’t a giant heat sink (which it is). There’s a reason why hot air rework tools are used at temperatures of 300C and up.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 01:24:18 pm »
I could instantly tell the H.S. post was generated by A.I. Useless information stated in an authoritative manner!!  Bullshit on a Ritz!! At least the cracker part is palatable.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2024, 04:42:57 am »
So why can't it be some some pixels aren't getting controlled properly?? like faulty sections in an IC ? Why would it have to be a cracked screen ??

It doesn't have to be a cracked screen, it can be a defective column chip on film (COF) IC or the bonding between IC-film, film-screen ITO.

In any case replacement requires costly equipment.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf