Author Topic: Sony TV Strange Failure  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Mario87Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Sony TV Strange Failure
« on: September 07, 2022, 08:14:32 am »
Hi all,

Friend of mine was telling me recently his Sony TV was working fine one night, then he turned it off and next morning when he turns it on there is a round circle in the corner that is REALLY hot to touch, can't keep fingers on it for more than a couple of seconds and the whole screen is not displaying properly any more.

He has no pets or kids in the house (there are some kids toys on the floor, but his kids were with their mum that evening), so that rules out some random accidental damage. He has asked me if I can maybe repair it to use as a spare (he has already purchased a new TV).

I have not seen the screen, yet, but to me it looks like possibly panel damage. Any thoughts / ideas what could cause this and is it even repairable?

Offline TheMG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Sony TV Strange Failure
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 01:32:15 pm »
What kind of TV? LCD with LED backlight?

There's nothing in the LCD panel itself that would ever get hot, so the heat could very well come from the backlight. Excessive heat can cause a spot to appear on an LCD panel, and usually this will go away as the panel cools back to normal temperature.

But all the vertical stripes happening at the same time, that has to be more than just a backlight fault.

If I had to take a wild guess, I would say this TV likely has suffered a serious power supply problem.

Offline robert.rozee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 02:56:56 pm »
along two edges of the screen are driver chips that, well... drive signals into the panel. my guess is that one of these drivers has gone (very) kaput, is drawing a great deal of excess current, and creating a heated area that is affecting the surrounding surface of the LCD panel.

this being the case, the TV is not repairable.

now if one of the kids 'accidentally' knocked over the TV and that cracked the screen, then it may be covered by your friend's house insurance...

cheers,
rob   ;-)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 03:03:02 pm »
Crack in LCD panel. Someone had broken it. Either hit or strongly pressed it in the corner with round defect, or made it fall. In a nutshell it's beyond economical repair as full LCD panel replacement is needed.
He has no pets or kids in the house (there are some kids toys on the floor, but his kids were with their mum that evening), so that rules out some random accidental damage.
I somewhat doubt it's just from a heat from a faulty driver. Maybe if that circular defect becomes smaller when you let in cool, and increases in size when it heats up. In any case, it does not change anything. It's dead and not worth to repair as it will cost more than a used TV or even similar brand new TV.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 03:08:47 pm by wraper »

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 03:29:25 pm »
LCD panel transistors shorted and row/column driver IC failure . witch first?

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 03:56:46 pm »
Open the unit up and post pictures of what, if anything, is located in that corner.  If the TV is toast you might as well take it apart.

Offline Mario87Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 07:54:21 am »
Thanks all, I will see if I can get access to the screen in the coming days and take it apart to have a look, will post pictures once I have opened it up.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 07:28:27 am »
Look carefully at the edges of the case and surface of lcd around that round spot, this is typical physical damage. Note that failure doesnt have to happen immediately after the hit, it could manifest after few heat cycles.

tldr glass broken, most likely uneconomical repair if you cant source replacement panel on the cheap
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf