Author Topic: MacBook Pro 17' A1297 video  (Read 984 times)

Offline djspTopic starter

MacBook Pro 17' A1297 video
« on: November 27, 2019, 06:32:13 pm »
Hi thanks for accepting me in this blog. Video of problems at startup displays this problem how to proceed ?
I wanted to try the GPU reflow

Offline LiftedTrace

• Regular Contributor
Re: MacBook Pro 17' A1297 video
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 03:15:11 pm »
I cannot offer any help on re-flowing, and you probably already know of this guy, but: https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup does many videos on mac repair and may have some info for you.

Offline andy2000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 06:20:47 pm »
Reflowing won't work, it's a defect in the GPU itself.  I recently went through a pile of those laptops and only the ones that had the revised GPUs worked.  All of the others were bad.  If Apple installed a new GPU, there should be a small green sticker on the RAM slot.  You can also tell based on the part number and date code on the GPU, but that requires totally disassembling the laptop.

Having said that, your problem looks more like a bad LCD panel to me.  Usually, a bad GPU causes no picture, random lines or blocks over an otherwise normal picture, or crashing during boot.  Try it with an external monitor to be sure.

Offline djspTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 06:45:56 am »
thanks for the answers I tried to connect an external monitor but there is no video signal, maybe because it is not enabled, someone has insinuated that it was the low resolution gpu, that is the one contained in the processor

Offline andy2000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 04:47:31 pm »
thanks for the answers I tried to connect an external monitor but there is no video signal, maybe because it is not enabled, someone has insinuated that it was the low resolution gpu, that is the one contained in the processor

Try turning it on with a monitor connected, and immediately closing the lid.  That should make it switch to the external display.  Or, you can disconnect the LCD from the motherboard.  Can you tell if it's booting?  A bad GPU will usually prevent it from booting.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 05:00:03 pm »
what year/model is it ? what are the last 3 digits of the serial number ?
it could be a gpu problem, but the picture makes me think like andy2000 of a bad lcd. if so you must have a picture on an external display.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 05:03:30 pm »
Reflowing won't work, it's a defect in the GPU itself.  I recently went through a pile of those laptops and only the ones that had the revised GPUs worked.  All of the others were bad.
you can make them work again ( the 2011 models 15" and 17") using this hack : http://www.cmizapper.com/products/tiresias-gpukiller.html
I tried it with success. the only drawback is the video output is disabled (but not the other thunderbold features)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf