Author Topic: Source for lead solder in EU?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline audiotubesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Source for lead solder in EU?
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2023, 10:00:03 pm »
Thanks guys. Mouser shipped fedex at no cost, DDP (duties and customs paid) and they charged me VAT. Hopefully it sails right to my door.
I have taken apart more gear than many people. But I have put less gear back together than most people. So there is still room for improvement.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2023, 10:48:21 pm »
I hope it works out well. It seems like a ridiculous performance to have to go through to avoid adding a minuscule amount to the lead burden of the world.If it works out well, buy a couple more. Make hay while the sun shines.

Meanwhile I have two 2.5kg Ersin Multicore 60/40 reels and a few other part reels. You shan't lay your filthy hands on them, they are my prescioussss!

It all seems silly.

The following users thanked this post: audiotubes

Offline p.larner

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2023, 06:10:13 am »
try these,ive used there solder a few times and find it good quality,bit pricey  tho! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325011939581?var=513972130017

Offline p.larner

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2023, 07:00:02 am »
got some supposed leaded 60-40 solder from ebay chinese seller,was just like lead free carp,i got a 50%refund,it sits as a last resort,its like molten dog turd!.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2023, 11:52:40 am »
I hope it works out well. It seems like a ridiculous performance to have to go through to avoid adding a minuscule amount to the lead burden of the world.If it works out well, buy a couple more. Make hay while the sun shines.

Meanwhile I have two 2.5kg Ersin Multicore 60/40 reels and a few other part reels. You shan't lay your filthy hands on them, they are my prescioussss!

It all seems silly.

Hah yeah, exactly my thoughts. This was huge money but if it works I'll lay in a couple more kilos.

We're actually doing the world a favor by removing lead from the environment and using it as solder ;)   
I have taken apart more gear than many people. But I have put less gear back together than most people. So there is still room for improvement.

Online pienari

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2023, 08:07:05 pm »
I have bought 60/40 tin from TME with no problems.
But... I think they only sell it to business customers.

And I have a business account.

Offline DavidKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2023, 09:11:24 am »
Businesses have no issue to buy lead solder at all. It is prohibited selling it only to end customers.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2023, 09:16:47 am »
Businesses have no issue to buy lead solder at all. It is prohibited selling it only to end customers.
Which, if you think of it, really should be the opposite, as long as your real goal is reducing lead consumption.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2023, 10:02:37 am »
Which, if you think of it, really should be the opposite, as long as your real goal is reducing lead consumption.
The law that prohibits sale of lead to consumers is completely separate from the one intended to reduce lead consumption.

RoHS is the regulation that bans lead and other environmental pollutants in finished products for sale; this is the one that forced the entire industry to go lead-free.

REACH is the law that prohibits the sale of hazardous chemicals to consumers; this is the one that makes it illegal to sell leaded solder to consumers. This law took effect several years after RoHS.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2023, 12:54:51 pm »
Mouser came though. Their logistics were as good as I have ever seen.

Since they ship DDP, the local Mouser branch is the legal recipient somehow and all customs and paperwork is handled invisibly to me. Fedex arrived on time and handed me my box.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2023, 02:19:42 pm »
... and in the box a piece of paper with greetings from the customs and how they protected you from dangerous goods originally there? ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2023, 08:11:57 pm »
... and in the box a piece of paper with greetings from the customs and how they protected you from dangerous goods originally there? ;)

Nope :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf