Author Topic: Spectracom SecureSync OCXO Morion MV197  (Read 1141 times)

Offline SoundTech-LGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Spectracom SecureSync OCXO Morion MV197
« on: April 16, 2018, 04:07:54 am »
The standard OCXO option in the SecureSync units is a Morion MV197. I have had 2 of these die on me. :-- It appears the heater circuit fails inside. They start getting cold and go way off frequency. I also noticed this was exacerbated by the fan cooling the unit, but making the heater in the OCXO work harder to keep it warm. The first one I actually had Spectracom replace the OCXO at great cost. It's a big risky job pulling the OCXO off the mainboard. The part is through hole mounted but the vias/holes are tiny and fragile, and the pins are tight fitting. I decided to swap it with a Morion MV89A, which will not mount to the board, or fit under the top lid of the 1RU rack enclosure. It works far better than the MV197 did. Have a request for a sample (MV197) in at Morion USA, in San Jose, CA not sure yet the cost. Funny these guys have an address that's a very big Post Office. It used to be San Jose's Main Office. My guess is they just have a PO Box there. I assume they are still operating in this country, even though our dealings with Russia are a bit tense at the moment.
So I may go with a separate enclosure outside the main chassis for the MV89A depending on the quote I receive (if any).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf