Author Topic: SSD recovery (ADATA S510 128GB)  (Read 7725 times)

Offline petexTopic starter

• Operationalsmoke Electronics Blog
SSD recovery (ADATA S510 128GB)
« on: September 06, 2016, 10:05:30 pm »
So, backing up lesson num. 1...  :palm:

Just when I was thinking during the last days "maybe I should take a clone from my SSD.." after programming my server scripts couple of days, the server (Raspberry Pi with 2.5" USB HDD case) didn't boot anymore. Tried to plug the SSD directly to my desktop computer via direct SATA link - no detection at all (in windows disk management).

So I'm thinking that the controller (SandForce SF-2281) or PWR management could be dead. I'm not going to pay a fortune to data recovery company, so I'm thinking if it would be possible to desolder all the flash ICs and put them to similar SSD? Does anyone know, how the block allocation happens in SSDs? Is there an allocation table in NAND ICs, or is the physical NAND address or every data block saved into SandForce controller? At least that could prevent swapping the flash ICs.

Any other tips - what to try next?

SSD PCB: http://petex.mbnet.fi/asd/adata_s510_128GB_PCB.jpg

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: SSD recovery (ADATA S510 128GB)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 10:31:00 pm »
So I'm thinking that the controller (SandForce SF-2281) or PWR management could be dead. I'm not going to pay a fortune to data recovery company, so I'm thinking if it would be possible to desolder all the flash ICs and put them to similar SSD? Does anyone know, how the block allocation happens in SSDs? Is there an allocation table in NAND ICs, or is the physical NAND address or every data block saved into SandForce controller? At least that could prevent swapping the flash ICs.
If you do so, your data will be gone. Data is written in the encrypted state anyway, and key is stored in the controller.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 10:32:48 pm »
Tried to plug the SSD directly to my desktop computer via direct SATA link - no detection at all (in windows disk management)
Does the BIOS of your computer see the SSD?

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 10:56:12 pm »
If you do so, your data will be gone. Data is written in the encrypted state anyway, and key is stored in the controller.
That's no good news  |O must take closer look into power rails tomorrow

Tried to plug the SSD directly to my desktop computer via direct SATA link - no detection at all (in windows disk management)
Does the BIOS of your computer see the SSD?
No detection in BIOS

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 11:02:48 pm »
About reviving (not data recovery) SF-2281 SSDs (google translate it) https://geektimes.ru/post/263876/

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 11:22:58 pm »
The English version if translate doesn't work.

http://geek-mag.com/posts/263876/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:25:01 pm by retiredcaps »

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 11:43:56 am »
Thanks  :) At least something is alive - by shorting J3 (as mentioned in link) I can activate the "developer mode" which appears in Device manager as "mass storage device". Also hooked my USB-UART dongle to J4 TX pin and found out that the firmware doesn't load properly.

Just measured some voltages from the caps. 2.85V seems ok because it's known NAND voltage, but not so sure about these ~1.0V rails. 1.1V is quite common and 1.8V, but cannot find neither of them.
Updated PCB picture with measured values: http://petex.mbnet.fi/asd/adata_s510_128GB_PCB.jpg

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 12:09:28 pm »
1V should be SF-2281 Vcore. don't see anything wrong with this figure unless you find somewhere that it should be different for this particular chip.

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 09:45:30 am »
Seems like I'm out of luck with this. Maybe automated backup system next time..
Tried to melt all the solder joints with heat plate & rework gun and also found that "confidential" excel sheet, which is needed to rescue the FW. Seems like there's no my NAND IC part number (60073174 5300076222) at all, so no idea about the corrent FW file.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 10:55:14 am »
:-+ to the Russians for (partially) cracking it, if only they went even deeper...

That looks like custom remarked NAND. You'll have to read out their ID to figure out what they actually are.

Offline NIHAR

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 03:23:54 pm »
this ssd usb and sata both not deteched . how solved , voltage 1 v , 2.85v , 1.78v ok

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 05:43:04 pm »
Measure the voltages at L2, L3 and L5.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf