Electronics > Repair

Static from hand killed my expensive mouse, can it be repaired?

(1/10) > >>

Pcmaker:
I have a Steelseries mouse from 2008 that is no longer being manufactured. It's the only mouse that doesn't make my hand hurt when I use it. A used one from eBay goes for around $450 which is a ton of money.

This morning, I touched the mouse and received a static shock. Usually, it stops working for 2 seconds, but it starts working again. Now it's dead for good. I put it in a different USB port, no luck. I tried a different mouse and that worked, but when I plugged in the dead mouse, the new mouse wouldn't work until I reset the PC.

I've been nursing this mouse since 2008. I've only replaced the switches and encoder, but I don't know what to look for in repairing what the static killed on the  little board.

Anything I should look for on the board after I open it up?

fzabkar:
Look for ESD protection components near the USB electronics.

Measure the resistance between the +5V and Ground pins of the USB connector.

Pcmaker:

--- Quote from: fzabkar on November 27, 2021, 08:11:59 pm ---Look for ESD protection components near the USB electronics.

--- End quote ---

On the mouse itself?

fzabkar:

--- Quote from: Pcmaker on November 27, 2021, 08:13:59 pm ---
--- Quote from: fzabkar on November 27, 2021, 08:11:59 pm ---Look for ESD protection components near the USB electronics.

--- End quote ---

On the mouse itself?

--- End quote ---
Yes. Also tests for shorts between ground and each of Data + and Data -.

EHT:

--- Quote from: Pcmaker on November 27, 2021, 03:52:53 pm ---I have a Steelseries mouse from 2008 that is no longer being manufactured. It's the only mouse that doesn't make my hand hurt when I use it. A used one from eBay goes for around $450 which is a ton of money.

--- End quote ---

What is this thing? When i search for Steelseries there are new mice around £50 price point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version