Author Topic: Storm damaged NDD-0300 NBN FTTC Network Connection Device  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Helix70Topic starter

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
Storm damaged NDD-0300 NBN FTTC Network Connection Device
« on: June 22, 2021, 04:32:26 am »
Has anyone on here had a NBN NDD0300 FTTC Network Connection Device stop working after a storm?

Mine shows the flashing red light and clicking the relay periodically. I suspect that the device isn't supplying power up the RJ12 any more.

Anyone repaired one? Got any hints? No obvious component damage. Any help appreciated.

Josh

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
Re: Storm damaged NDD-0300 NBN FTTC Network Connection Device
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 06:03:03 am »
Massive quantities of these die all of the time in storms.  It's apparently a big expensive for the NBN.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/may/18/nbn-to-replace-10000-modems-after-lightning-fries-devices-across-blue-mountains

Clicking relay does suggest it's cycling power backfeed on and off (I've read somewhere that these units signal the pit equipment to disable 48V POTS power before they flick the relay and backfeed power?) .  Are you sure it's even your FTTC unit that's fried and not the unit out in the pits somewhere?

N.B. I believe these modems remain the property of the NBN, but at the same time I guess they don't care too much about already dead ones.  Nice photos of the insides please ;)

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 09:44:07 am »
I am sure, they replaced it and I have the broken one. I would like to fix it for next time. I will do some pics soon.

Offline SmallCog

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 04:08:42 am »
We had lightning hit the tree next to the pit.

Killed both the unit in the pit and the indoor unit

Annoyingly they flatly refused to do any sort of line integrity test between the pit and premises or move us onto a different pair (50 pairs to the building and this is the only copper service)

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 06:14:07 am »
Images as promised.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 09:42:11 am »
Wow thankyou! 

I love how much of it is power supply.  Literally a tiny DSL router in bridge mode mated with an oversized laptop brick.  Keeping some of the input protection in a tin can is cute (blast containment?)

If it died due to a storm: I would start with a DMM to inspect the DSL input protection parts.  If they have done their job correctly ("if") then they may have sacrificed themselves to save the more sensitive ICs.  Gas tube should be open, fuses should be short, capacitors should not be shorted and transformer/choke windings should be distinct (the last two may require desoldering to test).

If that doesn't yield anything obvious: check to see if the relay has welded/exploded inside.  You can try and probe it whilst the unit is running, or try and cut the plastic cover off it for a visual inspection (often they don't fall apart and you can watch them working, but it depends on the design).  A little bit of darkness on the contacts can sometimes be normal, but anything more than that is suspicious.  If the relay has welded or exploded then the modem ICs have probably been fried too and you are probably SOL for the repair.

I see four unpopulated pin holes on the DSL board.  There is a good chance that is a UART port.  Basically all DSL modems have a 3.3V UART at 9600 or 115200 baud 8n1 that gets spammed with boot and operation messages, sometimes these can give you a hint as to what is going wrong (eg "no carrier detected" even when plugged into DSL line).   If you're super lucky they also provide an interface you can get a full shell on for full router control.  Buy a cheap USB uart if you don't already have one, three jumper wires (GND, RX, TX) is all that's needed for anything reasonably modern (the 4th pin will be 3.3V or 5V, which you can safely ignore).  Use a DMM to work out which pin is which.  Try different combos of RX and TX until something works.  Try different baud rates until you see something other than gobbeldybook appear in your terminal program.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 09:52:06 am by Whales »

Offline johnh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 08:17:22 am »
Big beefy power supply to feed the Fibre NTD in the pit

So the NTD in the pit could be fried as well

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf