Author Topic: Through plating repairs.  (Read 3013 times)

Offline G7PSKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
Through plating repairs.
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:02:26 pm »
Is there any way of replacing through hole plating on a pcb where the hole plating has come away on a 2 layer board. A cap has just blown on a DC to DC boost and the plating has been destroyed in removing the remains. The circuit works with the replacement capacitor but I have to have it sticking out so far to solder both sides that the unit wont go back into the case without the cap, which is slightly longer anyway, hitting the fan. I had wondered about drilling it out and soldering a small copper tube in but the smallest copper tube I can find is 5mm dia.

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
Re: Through plating repairs.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:04:36 pm »
Drill a hole nearby, put a piece of wire trough and solder it to tracks on both sides.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline G7PSKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:24:15 pm »
That's a good idea, I had not thought of. I Googled repairs and found eyelet kits but they cost many times the cost of the whole board, I know they repair more than one board but I only need to repair one or two like that in a year at the most.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:41:54 pm »
If you really want to do it right, you can line the hole with conductive ink, and electroplate it.
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 03:41:20 pm »
Drill it out to 3x the lead diameter and clean the top solder resist back then solder a few thin wire strands through the hole, leaving room for the lead of the capacitor. Then place the cap through and solder the bottom in, the solder will wick up the wires and make an eyelet. Otherwise the drill hole next to it and place a jumper is the best bet, if there is place for it. Solder the jumper wire to the capacitor lead after making an eyelet loop in it to hold the lead.

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 04:10:36 pm »
You're going to think this is crazy, but...
http://www.beadalon.com/BaseCrimpTubes.asp

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 04:23:05 pm »
Mike (mikeselectricstuff ) has a page on pcb making in which he references a couple of affordable solutions to creating through hole links.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf