Author Topic: Tablet does not power on, how to check battery & charge circuit?  (Read 1077 times)

Offline TwiggyTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello,

I picked up this old family tablet, a huawei mediapad t3 10 ags-w09, that was sitting dead in some drawer.

I've been interested in electronics repair for quite some time, although so far I've only done simple jobs like smartphone screen or swollen capacitors, so nothing that required any kind of diagnostic ability, which is why I write this thread :)

So this tablet, when I press the power button, vibrates, screen displays some icon indicating a power issue, and turns off.
I left it on the charger for several minutes, no change.
Charger and cable are good, tested with other devices.

I open the tablet, disconnect the battery, and check voltage, it shows 3.4
I plug the battery, and check voltage between battery terminals (circled in red in pic) and ground, and now it shows 1.6V. No difference when the charger is plugged in.

I conclude from this that the battery is bad, since as soon as it's in circuit its tension collapses, and that it's not charging, since when I plug the charger i would expect to see >4V between battery and ground.
But i do not get why it's not coming on when the charger is plugged.

Before I try to source a new battery, how could I confirm the problem is not on the charging circuitry? Would it help if I bought some USB power meter?

Thanks for any kind of advice :)

Offline CountChocula

• Supporter
  • I break things—sometimes on purpose.
Re: Tablet does not power on, how to check battery & charge circuit?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 07:40:09 pm »
Have you tried putting some load on the battery, like a resistor (say, 100Ω) to see if its voltage does, indeed, collapse? That should give you an indication whether the problem is in the cell or somewhere in your circuit.
Lab is where your DMM is.

The following users thanked this post: Twiggy

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 10:09:32 pm »
Hello, I tried what you suggested. With a 100ohm resistor attached to the battery I measured 3.4V.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 01:02:25 am »
Disconnect battery, get a TP4056 charger, connect battery to charger, connect USB to charger, charge battery fully, then try again.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: Twiggy

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 11:07:56 pm »
External charger revived the battery and I could boot the tablet. However android doesn't detect when I plug the usb cord and I dont measure a different voltage on the battery terminals with or without the usb cord.

Attached is a pic of the charging port, sorry it's blurry, i only have a phone and it doesnt focus well when it's so close.

Some measurements with usb cord plugged in :
Uab = 5V (charger), as expected i suppose
UAC= 0, as expected again as both are ground
UBC=0.1V, I would have expected to see 0 since both points are supposed to be ground

What should I check now?

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 11:33:08 pm »
usb meter says tablet takes 0.0 amps when plugged. if i had some kind of short circuit shouldnt it get hot and take some current?

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 07:28:01 am »
Try a different USB cable.  Otherwise socket might be busted.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 07:34:50 pm »
socket is indeed busted! after some contact cleaner spraying the tablet did charge depending on the cable angle inside the socket. will order a replacement and murder fix the board soon!

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2024, 07:20:03 pm »
first time soldering such a port, had to use my gas torch hot hair. now Uab = Uac = 5v consistently, but tablet still does not charge.

If i botched one of the other pins could it explain this behavior? I have a hard time assessing if the port pin contacts the board pads. I tinned slightly the pads then placed the port on top, soldered its legs to the holes then melted everything with the hot hair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf