Author Topic: Tantalums in Fluke Handheld 80xx Meters  (Read 512 times)

Offline ExcavatoreeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Tantalums in Fluke Handheld 80xx Meters
« on: February 28, 2024, 01:08:21 am »
I got the aluminum electrolytic capacitors changed in the meters I have that "slipped through the cracks," and just to be sure I re-checked the others.

I noticed that some of the oldest meters, the "A" variants have tantalum capacitors.    In this application, is it necessary to change those?  If so, can I replace them with aluminum electrolytic capacitors, or should I buy new tantalum capacitors?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 03:19:47 am by Excavatoree »

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: Tantalums in Fluke Handheld 80xx Meters
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 01:44:05 am »
That's an interesting question and my thought is that you don't have to change them at all.  There have been many previous discussions on solid tantalums and I think the need for replacement or upgrading to higher voltages is not there in battery powered devices.  Supposedly tantalums were studied determined to be the most reliable type of capacitor with their primary weakness being intolerance of reverse voltages exceeding 2% of their rating.  That sort of thing happens during power up (or down) in some mains PSUs but not in a battery operated device. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: Excavatoree

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 02:11:14 am »
I follow the same logic based on my experience with tantalums - battery operated equipment usually does not suffer power supply transients and spikes, thus I haven't seen tantalums blow up. Naturally, if the DMM suffered a heavy fall that cracked parts inside, then all bets are off.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline aeg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 12:58:19 am »
I had a tantalum go shorted in the switching power supply section of a Berry trunk test set, powered by a bunch of D cells. The on-off switch is after that board, so I had to frantically remove all the screws and disassemble the unit while smoke was pouring out.

I would imagine that capacitor experienced a lot more Dv/Dt than one in a DMM.

Offline Jeff eelcr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 02:58:11 am »
I always check them for shorts first, if other problems still show then troubleshoot for source.
Very few times have I needed to replace all tant's in any units. (not Fluke)
Jeff 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf