Author Topic: tds 460 power supply problems  (Read 4666 times)

Offline ght_marius

• Contributor
tds 460 power supply problems
« on: September 20, 2015, 01:01:38 pm »
Hi

I recently bought this scope TDS 460 with a power supply faulty but can not find the schematic diagram. If anyone have the schematic diagram or any idea on how to fix this power supply.

any help much appreciate it.

thanks Marius

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: tds 460 power supply problems
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 03:12:03 pm »
Probably bad capacitors.

They didn't release any schematic level service information, it's only "replace board X".

The supply doesn't look unusual so it should be easy to follow along with its operation.

Have you checked if it powers up when disconnected from the main board?  Shorted capacitors elsewhere is a possibility (the primary fault is SMT electrolytics leaking).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Daxxin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 06:51:44 pm »
Not sure but if its PS-1690 its almost the same of LeCroy model that cannot remember exactly what model
difference is only output voltages , can find schematic of lecroy at ko4bb web site.

Offline ght_marius

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 06:41:56 pm »
Hi

Looks like it`s not the capacitors, no change in behaviour, and in the end the main transistor end up shorted and it took with it a few more components with it:

1n4148
MJF16006A
1N5234B
CUSTOM RECTIFIER
and possible the teckronix custom chip 100004

First I have managed to open the custom rectifier , and I have found a diode and possible a triac mac228a8 that`s faulty , maybe you can help me to identify the diode and the use of it. I  also found this web site in Italian and he managed to remove the green compound of the custom chip 100004 of this web site http://digilander.libero.it/chopin.i/varie/riparazioni.html
I have managed to make a schematic of the custom rectifier but if you think it`s wrong I will try to do it again, some components the make and model got lost when I was removing the compound. The 1n4148 might be wrong and 1n4006 rectifier module.

Offline ght_marius

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 06:56:23 pm »
now the pictures
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:16:58 pm by ght_marius »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 02:01:11 am »
You depotted a potted assembly? :o

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 02:03:42 am »
Yeah that baby's broke!

Is that really from a 460? If so, that thing must have been through hell.

With reference to the pictures, I'm sure you have a strong idea about what needs replacing. Start with those then test surrounding components...

Offline hegar93

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 11:08:18 pm »
Hi,

I got myself a TDS 420 with a faulty PSU some time ago and got it working again, here is the thread on the Tektronix Forum:http://www1.tek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6283&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=tds+420&start=10
Main problem was the optocoupler and the LM339 for overcurrent shutdown. Maybe you can get some usefull hints in there.

The potted assembly seems to be a voltage doubler for 120V (and maybe a crowbar), but the one in my scope looked a bit funny, so disconnected it and it still works a treat.
At least for 230V it is not needed for normal operation. "mikeohm" writes a bit more about that in the last posts...

You can get the schematic of a very similar PSU in this manual for a LeCroy scope:
http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/index.php?dir=LeCroy
Get the one for LeCroy_9354A-M-L and go to page 425/426 for the supply.

hegar

Offline ght_marius

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 11:38:41 am »
Hi

This is the custom chip 100004 picture and I have found a few components faulty like the transistor Q1,ZD3,U1,D4,Q4.Q4 I can not find the type and model , when I removed the green stuff I removed the type and model ass well , if anyone knows the components please share with me . I managed to do the schematic of the ceramic board with components in Altium Designer .Anyone who need the files please give a shout.

thanks marius
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:44:08 am by ght_marius »

Offline ght_marius

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 07:51:59 pm »
The capacitors of this custom chip are not all updated on the schematic diagram , only some of them, but when I get some free time I will do it.

Offline scopeman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 11:46:31 pm »
Hi

This is the custom chip 100004 picture and I have found a few components faulty like the transistor Q1,ZD3,U1,D4,Q4.Q4 I can not find the type and model , when I removed the green stuff I removed the type and model ass well , if anyone knows the components please share with me . I managed to do the schematic of the ceramic board with components in Altium Designer .Anyone who need the files please give a shout.

thanks marius

Marius,

Do you have a PDF of that schematic you worked out for this module? The same part is used in LeCroy scopes and we are trying to nail down the schematic and parts.

Thanks,

Sam
W3OHM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf