Author Topic: (Solved thanks to Roland) tds210 have problem with BL section  (Read 1219 times)

Offline nic77Topic starter

• Contributor
Good day to all ,an wish everyone well,
i have a problem with my tds 210 , the back light is very dimm , so i opened and changed the ccfl neon ,nothing doing
,still the same , as i searched web i could not find anything ,they say there is very high voltage on the output  of the transformer , about a 1000 vac  so i cant test that ,
 I checked the transformer secondary output for continuity and got 121 ohms ,  can someone help me with this issue as i never have worked with high voltage things, i am only a hobbiest and almost on pension ,would be very pleased , greetings to all nic77 from Italy.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:04:24 pm by nic77 »

Online RolandK

• Regular Contributor
Re: tds210 have problem with BL section
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 05:39:12 am »
On my Tektronix TDS 220 the ccfl was dark. One of the two transistors in the HV Converter was open collector. After replacing it worked, but there was only a very weak backlight.

So i recycled the LED strip of a dead computer monitor from the dump. I looked for one with a frame with less than 1 cm or 1/2" deep . Someone had already opened the monitor, so i only had to dismount the display. The 23" display had at the bottom a LED strip with 4 rows each with 13 LEDs in series.
  • From the length i needed 9 leds and just cut them off with some scissors for metall.
  • Checked voltage and polarity with a 30V Power supply and 10kOhm in series.
  • Soldered the recycled wires from the CCFL to the LED.
  • Glued the LED strip to the display with hot melt glue.
  • Disconnected the HV Converter for the CCFL and cut the board-connection to the ccfl connector
  • the leds need about 23,7 V. The power supply has at the connector to the main board 27,8 V. So i mounted a 1kohm in series at the ccfl connector to get 4mA
  • I soldered a twisted pair beween the connectors which i routed the same way as the ccfl supply to have some distance from the SMPS
  • On the way I marked the polarity on the LED, the wire and the board

Now my Scope has a nice LED illumination with about 4mA supply current and 1/4 W. Illumintion is a little more cool white than original.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 05:45:56 am by RolandK »
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 07:00:14 am »
Just in case you don't have it, here's a link to the service manual: https://download.tek.com/manual/071049203.pdf

Not much help there, though.  No schematics.

The following users thanked this post: RolandK

Offline austfox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 11:32:19 am »
I repaired the backlight for my TDS 210  last month. I had no illumination at all. Turned out it was the 2 Mosfets (from memory IRF3205s) driving the transformer.

Edit: Sorry, looks like they are C3205 transistors. I took mine from another unit (TDS 220) that has other issues.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 04:39:04 pm by austfox »

Online RolandK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 09:36:42 am »
Now with pictures of the TDS 220 Power supply board:
  • Connections for the LED with 1kOhm
  • CCFL Converter disconnected
  • Piece of LED strip

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 09:47:31 am by RolandK »
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

Offline nic77Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 11:49:47 am »
Thank you all very much for you help , yes i have seen many fixes but very well explained by Roland a great very well explained ,thank you Roland for your time , thank you austfox for foto of the transformer with measurements ,as one friend just gave me a 220 in bad shape so i measured the transformer and dont get the resistance in the foto so i will do the led modification as i do have a piece of led strip ,thank you all once again ,nik. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf