Author Topic: [SOLVED] Tektronix 7000B series upgrade difference D845 vs D865 - TVIA 5202G  (Read 2627 times)

Offline charlydTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
hello i am working on a project to get a new motherboard in my tek scope. this board is a INTEL D865 board with a intel bios loaded.
from what i discovered with the bios i have loaded the board doesn t start up without any cards installed. when i put in a pci VGA card or so the board fires up.

from a video i saw from "feedback.loop" i saw his orignal board powers up without any card in it. so i want to try to flash that bios in my board. if anybody can help me with the bin file or exe from the the tektronix TDS5054B-NV equipt with the D865 board.

see picture: bios with Tektronix logo.

can any body with this model scope equipt with a D865 board help me out with a bios flie export?
thanks very much .
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 06:40:49 pm by charlyd »

• Frequent Contributor
Re: TDS5054B export bios file wanted (tektronix bios)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 08:35:54 pm »
If somebody has a non booting/parts board original tektronix for sales, please contact me.

i am very interested, so please DM me.

Offline feedback.loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 12:27:08 am »
The snapshot from my video is from the second video about repairing the original Tektronix board. So it shows the original board.
The replacement Intel board had a Gateway splash screen, and I showed it in the first video.
Both boards should be able to start up with no cards installed assuming they have VGA integrated, which both of my boards did. Why wouldn't they start up? I doubt that you need another version of BIOS for that.

Offline feedback.loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 12:29:26 am »
If somebody has a non booting/parts board original tektronix for sales, please contact me.

i am very interested, so please DM me.

What happened to yours? Do you still have it?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 09:48:16 am »
no i never had it. but for me it is for a TDS7000 series with an orginal  D845GVAD2 board.

why to a D865 board:
     - more memory slots (4GB possible)
     - just one slice newer  :-+
     - 2 sata connectors  ( i got the unit without a drive and saw it is SCA-80 connected drive ) so i decide to go for SSD direct on the board, to speed up boottime.
     - layout is quit the same so it is just swapping.

but what i discovered is:

The bios from the D845GVAD2 and D865GLC are so good as the same in the menu's inside the bios but the missing hardware on the D845 should make the bios different and i dont want to try. 
I have 2 D865 boards, one is original Lecroy and one is original Intel desktop.

but when playing arround with the boards on my bench, i discovered that the D865 both have booting problems when there is no disk or no pci card installed.
so both these board don t boot up native(=with just onboard video and psu/cpu/1gb mem installed.)

from what i saw in your movie your board boots up native without any problems so i am very curious to the bios difference if there is any.

But  from what i saw from my orginal D854GVAD2 board it also boots up native.  so i gues tek has custom settings??

so now i want to flash in the (D865) TDS5054B.BIO file in one of my board to see and compare.  For those people who want:

- the Original Intel desktop .bin file (512Kb)
    - the Orginal Lecroy .Bin                ( 512Kb)
    - the Orginal Tektronix.bin   ( if somebody can help me with an export)

Files will be attach here later.

because i socketted my bios chips on both board.  simple job. and very easy for repair and support. so i took a copy with the programmer. (wellon)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 09:59:25 am by charlyd »

Offline feedback.loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 03:32:52 pm »
I don't quite follow. You say "you never had it" (the original board), but you also say that your original D854 board boots up fine.
So you do have a working scope, don't you? You just want to upgrade it, right?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 07:16:00 pm »
hello my situation is i bought a TDS7404B without HDD.
and that scope had a D845 board which has no SATA connection and just 2 dimm slot for max 2GB, if i remember well
i want to go to win7 with 4 gb. or may a fast booting scope
and i want a SSD direct on the motherboard for highest boot speed.

so i decided to switch to the D865 because it is used in many scopes. So must be a good choice which is in my needs.

but one thing what i dicovered is. when i took both D845 and D865 separate on my bench is.  the D845 boots up native.  where MY D865 doesnt .

i thought my board was not ok because i saw you , in your repair video boot up the D865 in native mode ( Cpu/PSU/mem) connected to onboard video.

few days later i got a dead D865 which i fixed ! guess what this board has the same behaviour then my first D865. really  strange when i look at your video 3:19 again startup behaviour differs.

when i put in a PCI card both boards wake up when i power them up.  so the PCI card must be installed te wake them up.

while your board boots native.  so from my guess the bios default must be different or greyout or any thing.

both my boards work 100% fine but needs the extra card to wakeup for boot.  really weird.  while your board doesnt.

is this a bios difference. ??   

i cannot / won t install an extra card just for booting.
i want to discover the difference.

i hope this clears things up.

so i hope somebody is willing to export his complete bios from the TDS5054B  to see if that fixes my boot problem.

strange but... it must be i guess...

maybe an other question does your board from the internet boot up native ?? if yes what exact cpu do you have installed. maybe thats the problem, i tried a 3.06Ghz 512kb and a 3.06Ghz 1Mb (prescot) Total different behaviour   :-//
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 08:47:11 am by charlyd »

Offline feedback.loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 07:26:46 pm »
Perhaps there is some setting in the BIOS to disable the onboard video. Have you tried to load the defaults?

Offline feedback.loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 07:32:44 pm »
Also consider using an SSD with PATA interface with the original board (still 2GB memory limit though).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 09:56:15 am »
yes that s why i would like to go to the D865 board and i already socketted both the bios chips from the boards i have here. was an easy job with  the hotair.

#Edit:  added Intel desktop bios (P22) & Lecroy Bios (P25)
           added Tektronix CSA7404B D865 (P24) export and TDS5054B intel bioses with Tektronix bootlogos (csa7404B black and TDS5054B white)

but at the bottom of post #30 you can see i am not the only one who has this thought about the custom bios of tektronix:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/help-with-tds-7154b-front-panel-driverfunctionality/msg1263048/#msg1263048

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 03:31:19 pm by charlyd »

The following users thanked this post: Belgarath

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 10:20:44 am »
today i also discovered that my poweron flex pcb is broken  |O  so now i am searching for a replacment from a part unit is somebody has a bargain.

Offline feedback.loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 04:35:04 pm »
Perhaps, you might design a replacement yourself. PCBWay can make flexible PCBs.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 06:59:25 pm »
Hi yes i will manage the flex pcb.... but in the meanwhile i came for the 1000x on the magic CSA7404 thread and found this..

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tek-csa7404-repair-project/275/#msg1244283

so there are TDS7154B scope with the newer D865 board installed and even booting. 

Who with a TDS7154B scope want to drop in this topic for more info.

curious to response

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 08:46:45 am »
today i also discovered that my poweron flex pcb is broken  |O  so now i am searching for a replacment from a part unit is somebody has a bargain.

This guy has made a replacement.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233946969757?
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix, feedback.loop

• Frequent Contributor
Re: TDS7154B owners please read post #12
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2022, 10:55:43 am »
Thanks Jay, the membrane as the seller calls them already arrived.

great tip Jay, because he sells them new so no pre-bendings  :-+

so that is fixed too.  back too the TDS7154B with the (upgraded)  D865 board like i saw in denimdragons unit... Who can clear this up? do my D865 boards both need a recap job, what i don t believe caps are no bulgie. I guess  boards are from later version. so despite they are booting great (with pci card installed?) my display in the scope don t lite up when unit is powered on. As my boards don t start native on the bench |O

i hope somebody jumps in the topic to say i recognize this behaviour from powering on D865 boards native on the bench, and this is why......

greetz charly
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 11:01:52 am by charlyd »

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2022, 11:30:01 am »
so that is fixed too.  back too the TDS7154B with the (upgraded)  D865 board like i saw in denimdragons unit... Who can clear this up? do my D865 boards both need a recap job, what i don t believe caps are no bulgie. I guess  boards are from later version. so despite they are booting great (with pci card installed?) my display in the scope don t lite up when unit is powered on. As my boards don t start native on the bench
Please see my reply in your thread on Badcaps:
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=108086

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 11:19:32 am »
@feedback.loop yes yes tried the default setup. tried the optimized setup
tried complete reset/clear with the cr2032 lifted.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2022, 11:27:37 am »
@Per hansson: you mean the issues written in the P25 new fixes/features.
new Fixes/Features:
- Updated VBios to Build 1235.
- Fixed and issue of not defaulting video to the proprietary video card.
- Fixed and issue of POST code D0 hang when proprietary video card is installed and
CMOS is corrupt.

yes yes i have seen them but the bios version of demindragon his board was P17. and working ok.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2022, 07:10:45 pm »
Today i discovered something i pulled out the PCI card and connected a HDD. Guess what the board booted.   |O

so i still don t have a picture on the scope yet but. the board on the bench works... SSD drives don t give enough load on the psu. and what happens in the scope i will come back on that one.  but there is a difference between  HDD and SSD in combination with specific psu's.

so now still curious about the config inside the TDS7154B with board installed and bridge /video card.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 07:12:46 pm by charlyd »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2022, 08:19:26 am »
[update] after many hours of searching in both a unit with D845 and D865 ...i found some differences like the alu. bottom plate for the windowsPC board. but there is more...i found out why the D865 doesn t give a picture. it looks to me it is a matter of a video card difference  both TVIA CYBERPRO 5202G card. Swapping arround the cards made a difference...but when looking at the cards close up (see pictue) you see there is a different  board selection arround  R0111,R0112,R0114,R0115.
both have a different  R0 selection. can that be the clue?

i am curious if there are other card numbers/selections.
664-5632-00 (679-5632-C0)
664-5970-01 (679-5970-01)
i will figure out the video bios versions later.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 08:13:42 pm by charlyd »

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Tektronix 7000B series upgrade difference D845 vs D865 - TVIA 5202G
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2022, 06:30:41 pm »
today i found out what is needed to change the board.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
wow  that's a good one ??   could be an irq selection or address selection ??

on the "other" thread, i've posted an Intel865 original bios  and the tektronix bios ....  of a 7254B   ... some cal files and the nvram bios dump too

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf