Author Topic: Damaged traces need help re wiring new dc powerjack.  (Read 2505 times)

Offline eightofiveTopic starter

Damaged traces need help re wiring new dc powerjack.
« on: March 09, 2015, 02:59:06 am »
I had trouble de soldering the old dc powerjack and got too impatient and damaged the traces in the process. The other side is undamaged and those three traces are the only problem with this motherboard. I've started sanding the board to expose some copper for the new traces to bridge to the pins on the dc jack. Before I go any further I would like to get more feedback on how to do it correctly. Am I going in the right direction and is this going to create any short? I was also watching this youtube vid as an example. Ill post more pics if needed.

http://youtu.be/cTnVg6Pmf-U

Offline Tim F

• Regular Contributor
Re: Damaged traces need help re wiring new dc powerjack.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 03:22:00 am »
The technique shown in the video seems like a reasonable solution however you have a few more problems to contend with since it's a multi layer board. You won't be able to easily solder the jack to the traces directly under it since there is no longer plating inside the hole for the solder to wick up from the other side. Ditto with any inner layer connections that go to the jack pins. Pray that there is enough via stitching that it still works being only being soldered to the tracks on one side of the board. Being only soldered to one side of the board will make it significantly mechanically weaker also.

Charred PCB material is conductive so that would be the primary concern for a short. Usually you can try scraping any charring on the sufaces and drilling the holes slightly larger to remove the charred PCB material, but you run the risk of hittin the inner copper layers and pinching them together, creating a short. Given that the holes are slots instead of circular, i would just clean them with alcohol, scrape any blackened areas between traces and cross fingers.

I would use at least 20Gauge wire.

Oh and use slow setting epoxy (the stuff that takes 8hours+ to set) instead of hot melt glue. Glue it only after you have confirmed that the repair works so you have a chance of reworking it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:24:18 am by Tim F »

Offline eightofiveTopic starter

Re: Damaged traces need help re wiring new dc powerjack.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:11:56 pm »
Would like more feed back before I go any further with this project.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf