Author Topic: dielectric grease on tiny connectors in laptops  (Read 3867 times)

Offline scepterTopic starter

dielectric grease on tiny connectors in laptops
« on: April 06, 2017, 06:58:01 pm »
I am wondering if it is safe to use a light coating of dielectric grease on tiny connectors containing multiple conductors such as for lcd panels from laptops or proprietary press-down sata connectors ala the macbook, etc? If the connector is having troubles would using grease create a better contact or cause more of an issue. I know contact cleaner is safe but I'm hoping that there might be someway to improve connection even better. Is there a way I can try to scrub a delicate connector so that I'm sure there's no hint of surface corrosion?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 06:59:51 pm by scepter »

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
Re: dielectric grease on tiny connectors in laptops
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 01:59:30 am »
The electronic logic deadbands have been designed wide enough to cater for nominal resistance variation due to wire lengths, contact wears, signal noise etc.
For those often use connectors, contact cleaner would be sufficient.
You do not apply any grease onto those tiny contacts, as it will exacerbate the problems even worse. This is not an automobile lead acid accumulator.
In real life, if the spring force of the contact has lost its effectiveness, the only solution is to change the connector as no amongst of cleaning will resolve the connection problem.
No, you do not scrub those tiny connectors, those are tinned, if its already corroded due to acidic spill, the only real solution is to change the connector.
If you need a better advise, you will need to be more specifics and upfront with your problems.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:02:03 am by Armadillo »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 06:05:35 am »
From my experience it's really about considering the less destructive way to get it clean. For easily accessible or exposed connectors, tracks or pads a pencil eraser (used gently) works well and will get contacts nice and shiny, you can also use polishing pads and paper, super fine 12000-15000 grit or higher, clean afterwards. Edge connectors I do with alcohol wipes.

For something small where you cannot get in use plastic safe contact cleaner similar to Caig DeoxIT and put it on the socket and then plug the connector several times and let it sit, the contact itself has an abrasive action and the cleaner will hopefully dissolve some surface oxides. You have to use common sense here and introduce as little cleaner as possible and only if you know you can flush it away afterwards.

Don't use cotton buds near anything where it can snag or leave fibers behind, use a the tip of a needle, toothpick, dental pick to apply cleaners where you need precision and a fraction of a drop. I've had success using a super soft bristle toothbrush and using light dragging strokes in laptop pcb sockets. This must be done with that area of the PCB flooded wet with solvent to prevent static discharge.

When it comes to high voltage/current that could cause a flash/ignition/arching across contacts you want to make sure it's super clean and always non conductive between contacts anyway, which is why several flushes is a must.

So after you are done dilute some 99 or 100% pure IPA with 30% deionized water (both are complimentary solvents when mixed) and flush the area well to remove any cleaner and residue. I use a hand water mister with an adjustable nozzle and put it on high pressure. Hold the PCB/cable so that it drains away from other SMD components or cover sensitive components up.  You don't want contamination or something corrosive or conductive to just move to another location. Then after that you can use pure IPA for a final flush and rinse it well.

Prolonged exposure to water will mean you need a longer drying time, IPA is soluble in water which means a pure IPA clean will hopefully flush out and displace any water with the contaminants as well but only if you flood/spray the area. An alternative is to use an ultrasonic cleaner for the whole process and end with deionized water then IPA.

To retention leaf spring contacts ground yourself to prevent static discharge and using a very thin sewing needle you can often gently retention the socket. As always practice on a junk board first, I have delicate hands.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:10:51 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline scepterTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 03:11:56 pm »
Thank you everyone for the amazing responses. I really appreciate your thoroughness in explaining both the theory and the process.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf