Author Topic: Tektronix 465 298xxx serial, trace not centered  (Read 1578 times)

Offline yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Tektronix 465 298xxx serial, trace not centered
« on: January 17, 2019, 03:47:19 am »
hello from Mexico, i have a tek 465 with trace not centered in the screen, it moves up and down when change volt/div knob, i need readjust with the vertical adjust knob, this is worst in channel 2, in some settings it dissapears up or down in the visible screen area and in others moves and still visible, i need to readjust the vertical position for see and/or center it again.

any suggestion or idea?

best regards.

Pio
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:59:42 pm by yo0 »

Offline particleman

• Regular Contributor
Re: Tektronix 465 298xxx serial, trace not centered
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 03:57:51 am »
Get the manual. There are adjustments to correct that.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 07:35:28 pm »
The DC balance for both channels on the Invert Balance for channel 2 need to be adjusted. They are located on the vertical board. 

Do you have a service manual?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: yo0

Offline yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 08:28:58 pm »
thanks to both. yes, i have the sm for >250000 serial, any precaution or advice in the stated procedure?

by the way if i center the trace in channel 1 and 2... just in 10mv 0.1v, 1v, 10v settings the trace remains centered. the variation in the trace in other settings is worst in channel 2.  :-//

best regards.

Pio
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:52:52 pm by yo0 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:30:30 pm »
Have you followed the faultfinding procedures in your copy of the service manual?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 09:39:22 pm »
Have you followed the faultfinding procedures in your copy of the service manual?

yes and i canĀ“t find something related :D , do you think is a failure instead adjustment related?

best regards.

Pio
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:15:08 pm by yo0 »

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 11:20:26 pm »
Are the signal attenuations correct at low frequencies, or is it just a DC offset?  Cracked solder joints in the attenuator modules were pretty common in the early models.  Caution for repair:  they were soldered with a special silver solder.

Offline yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 11:42:32 pm »
Are the signal attenuations correct at low frequencies, or is it just a DC offset?  Cracked solder joints in the attenuator modules were pretty common in the early models.  Caution for repair:  they were soldered with a special silver solder.

thank you, i think yes, for example the calibration signal at 1 khz is measured correctly, in the past i had a tek 475 with a problem in one of the modules (one of the volt/div setting was low and distorted but in correct position), just made a reflow at the four pins with  a very thin soldering tip ( no damage to the plastic boxes ) and all ok  ;D, so i think dc offset issues only

Pio
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:44:18 pm by yo0 »

Offline rf+tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • Real radios are olive drab
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 12:51:17 am »
i have a tek 465 with trace not centered in the screen, it moves up and down when change volt/div knob

Performing Vertical Adjustments steps 7 through 14 should resolve this very problem.

Once these alignment steps have been performed, the trace should remain where it is placed vertically, when the Volts/div knob is turned *and* when the vernier knob is turned.

Some repetition is required, as the optimum adjustment point can be quite sensitive, to obtain zero shift.

RF+ Tech
RT-1133 AN/PRC-70  *  RT-794 AN/PRC-74  *  RT-841 AN/PRC-77  *  RT-524 AN/VRC-12  *  RT-834 AN/GRC-106  *  RT-F100

Offline yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 01:01:25 am »
i have a tek 465 with trace not centered in the screen, it moves up and down when change volt/div knob

Performing Vertical Adjustments steps 7 through 14 should resolve this very problem.

Once these alignment steps have been performed, the trace should remain where it is placed vertically, when the Volts/div knob is turned *and* when the vernier knob is turned.

Some repetition is required, as the optimum adjustment point can be quite sensitive, to obtain zero shift.

RF+ Tech

Thank you!

Best regards.

Pio

Offline yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 11:49:39 pm »

RF+ Tech

Already adjusted, thank you very much. :)

Best regards.

Pio

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf