Author Topic: Peg Perego Thomas 6v ride on train board  (Read 928 times)

Offline RS200

Peg Perego Thomas 6v ride on train board
« on: January 02, 2021, 06:26:16 pm »
Hi

In need of some help.

I have an old ride on kids train and have decided to get it out for my granddaughter to use, but after connecting a new battery it doesn't work. I took the train apart and powered the motor direct and this works so i pulled the circuit board (pic attached) to see if i could see anything obvious. Are the 2 transistors to at the top right of the red plug supposed to get roasting hot?

Any help would be much appreciated as i'm no electronics wizz and these parts are now obsolete.

Thanks
Dan

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: Peg Perego Thomas 6v ride on train board
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 06:29:59 pm »
Hi

In need of some help.

I have an old ride on kids train and have decided to get it out for my granddaughter to use, but after connecting a new battery it doesn't work. I took the train apart and powered the motor direct and this works so i pulled the circuit board (pic attached) to see if i could see anything obvious. Are the 2 transistors to at the top right of the red plug supposed to get roasting hot?

Any help would be much appreciated as i'm no electronics wizz and these parts are now obsolete.

Thanks
Dan

Post a pic of the track side of the board and give us a clue what connects where? (It should be pretty obvious if we can see the back of the board but it might be useful)l?

I don't think the transistors should get hot.

Offline RS200

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 06:34:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Pic or tracks attached.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 07:32:23 pm »
OK, bad news, the black blob is an IC, if that's gone then you may be out of luck.

The transistor marked Q2 seems to be getting *really* hot by the look of the solder on the pads, it controls the relay.

I'm guessing this thing only does forward unless there's a switch elsewhere to select reverse.

Have you got a multimeter and can you solder?

If you can desolder one end of D5 I think you might find it's gone short circuit.

Do not run the board with it disconnected.

Offline RS200

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 08:37:53 pm »
Yes i can solder and have a multimeter, how do i check for a short on the D5 resistor?

Offline RS200

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 09:42:44 pm »
I tested the diode (D5), after watching a youtube video and it works ok.

Offline Meteor40069

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 02:16:27 pm »
New member here  :)

Just been asked by a friend to repair one of these. Sounds and light work but not the motor.
After checking all the obvious things (battery, wiring, switches, etc.) I had a look at the PCB. No signs of overheating but I found the relay not operating because Q2 was open circuit.

Original was an MPS8050. NPN 1.5 Amp  ::)   Nearest I had was a BC338 0.8Amp, but with reversed pinout, EBC instead of CBE.

Fitted that and now the motor runs (but the switch on the top of the cab seems a little intermittent)

Just hope the BC338 survives, but it's only switching the relay. I didn't measure the relay coil but would expect about 100mA

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf