Author Topic: Tek TDS 7054 Win98 TekScope application crash  (Read 613 times)

Offline spark058

• Contributor
Tek TDS 7054 Win98 TekScope application crash
« on: September 07, 2019, 07:09:20 pm »
I'm looking for ideas on how to start debugging this problem. I have a Tektronix TDS 7054 scope running Windows 98. Windows boots normally and kicks off the TekScope application. TekScope starts up fine and I get what seems to be a functioning scope. I can connect a probe to any of the 4 channels and observe the 1KHz output of the calibration port. I can adjust the timebase, the vertical scale, trigger source etc, all seems well. Then if I try anything such as activation the cursors menu or running SPC or diagnostics TekScope crashes. Attached to this post is a photo of the Windows crash info which is always in MSVCRT.DLL. From this point I cannot restart the TekScope app from Windows without first shutting down and restarting Windows. Any ideas on where to being debugging this will be appreciated. Is this more likely to be on the motherboard/Windows side of the world or the scope PPC based controller board to data acquisition board.
Thanks!

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Re: Tek TDS 7054 Win98 TekScope application crash
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 10:58:04 am »
I have a WinME Ghost image from serial B020683 if you would like to try it.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline spark058

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 01:52:56 pm »
Ok thanks, that would be great. Mine is serial B010365, not sure what driver issues I'll run into between the NLX board in mine versus your image. What are your thoughts on that? I have read a number of your posts you seem to have some good experience with scopes in this family.
I have not had time yet but I plan to open the chassis and connect to the vxWorks serial console to see if it it outputting anything informative when the crash occurs.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 02:33:04 pm »
Ok thanks, that would be great. Mine is serial B010365, not sure what driver issues I'll run into between the NLX board in mine versus your image. What are your thoughts on that? I have read a number of your posts you seem to have some good experience with scopes in this family.
I have not had time yet but I plan to open the chassis and connect to the vxWorks serial console to see if it it outputting anything informative when the crash occurs.

Be sure you have lots of airflow on the acquisition board if you run it without the covers.
Anyway, I found a much more suitable image. Image is TDS7054 B010196. BL440ZX MB_NO RADISYS WIN98
I'm uploading it now, and will update this post with the link when it's done.
Do yourself a really big favor - if you have another 2.5" disk drive, experiment with that!

Here you go: http://global-files.net/ronnpu
Good luck!

EDIT: This ghost image will work with the Radisys board if you remove c:\tektro~2\bl440zx tek  from the autoexec.bat file.
A bit of hardware detection will happen, but other than that...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:58:16 pm by Jwalling »
Jay

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix, Chris56000

Offline spark058

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 12:22:04 am »
Thanks for the drive image! I have a 2.5" drive coming from eBay, I'll put the image on that and give it a try. Will let you know how it goes...

Nothing is simple. I have downloaded a trial version of Norton Ghost v15.0. It does not seem to support the ability of creating a drive from a .gho file. What version of Ghost do you use? I'll look for an old archive version that supports this feature.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 04:11:42 pm by spark058 »

Offline spark058

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 11:49:10 pm »
Thanks Jwalling!! After procuring a new HD on eBay of the same P/N as the original, making a bootable Ghost CD with the .gho image you provided, I have a system which no longer crashes during certain TekScope operations. WooHoo.  ;D :clap:
I have an ISO image of the CD I used to boot the system and image the new HD. If you are interested in adding it to your collection, let me know.
I ran a system self test (which used to crash) and am getting a misc failure code 531 I need to figure that out next.

Update: The misc 531 is just saying that there is no cal data on the new HD; running SPC should clear that up...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:53:47 pm by spark058 »

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 09:02:54 am »
Thanks Jwalling!! After procuring a new HD on eBay of the same P/N as the original, making a bootable Ghost CD with the .gho image you provided, I have a system which no longer crashes during certain TekScope operations. WooHoo.  ;D :clap:
I have an ISO image of the CD I used to boot the system and image the new HD. If you are interested in adding it to your collection, let me know.
I ran a system self test (which used to crash) and am getting a misc failure code 531 I need to figure that out next.

Update: The misc 531 is just saying that there is no cal data on the new HD; running SPC should clear that up...

That's great! Yes, 531 should be fixed by running SPC.
Sorry I didn't see your previous question regarding Ghost version; probably because you edited your post a few days later.
For imaging under Windows I use Ghost32 version 11.5.1. For DOS, mostly Ghost 11.5. That particular image I probably used Ghost 2003.
Jay

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf