Author Topic: Desoldering advice  (Read 491 times)

drhex and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline antennaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Desoldering advice
« on: Yesterday at 03:57:41 am »
I recently took on a repair and I am dealing with solder I have never encountered.  It is a scooter that quit working, error code states low motor voltage, even though the battery is good and fully charged.  I removed the controller, the mosfets appear fine, so I suspect the relay contacts.  Unfortunately, the solder that was used barely melts at the max setting on my soldering iron (480°C) and there are surface mount components including electrolytics all around the relay and underneath it.  To make things worse, the relay is soldered into plated vias.  So far, I have used an entire stick of ChipQuik with a solder sucker and managed to get the coil leads free and most of the solder off the contact legs, but I struggle getting the solder inside the vias to come out or even melt.  The relay won't budge.  I plan to keep going with the chipquik alloy, but I wonder how many rounds of getting them hot it can handle before I destroy other things.  Does anyone have advice for a situation like this?  I would try hot air, but there are SMD electrolytic caps and other chips right next to the relay and I fear hitting it that hard will do damage to them as well.

edit: another concern I have is whether or not the chipquik is getting in the via and that the relay is simply glued down, but given how many rounds of chipquik it took to get the bulk of the solder off the legs would suggest its just that high of MP.  I want to try to get under the relay and pry, but there are SMD resistors under it and I don't know what might peel off with the glue that may be there.  They built this thing to not be repaired.  I am tempted to decap the relay to check the contacts and cut it out if bad.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:02:32 am by antenna »

Offline indeterminate

• Contributor
Re: Desoldering advice
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:12:31 am »
You need to yous a very large iron
300w 1/2" diameter tip
sumthing like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/295097210355
get it up to temperature and then turn it off
make a heavy copper wire bridge between all the pins that need to be desoldered  at least 2.5mm2
that way you can heat everything at once and pull the relay out.
The tip of the soldering iron should be at least 1/2" diameter and 2 > 3 inches long , including the bit inside the element.

Offline nvmR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:55:20 am »
For TH devices, use a solder wick or solder pump to remove the solder from each and every leg individually.
You can also try to place a heat plate beneath the pcb, and give it a preheat.
A large blower can also give a good preheat.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:05:42 am »
Another method (or rather an additional step) is to use low melting point solder, or simply Rose's alloy, by adding it to the joints and letting it mix with the old solder. The resulting mixture will melt much easier.

But after the job is done you will need to remove all the remains of this low melt mixture as thoroughly as possible: you don't want it to compromise the new solder joints you make when you reassemble the thing.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 12:25:00 pm »
The chipquik is low melting alloy (around 80°C), but it does not like going in my solder wick (MG Chemicals SuperWick #453).  I do have a propane torch soldering iron tip that is a half inch diameter, I will try that route.  The problem with heating the whole thing to the necessary temp is the surface mount parts under and near the relay. I also worry about lifting the foil off the PCB. There are many SMD parts around and under the relay and I cannot risk them all falling off.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:49:31 pm »
What soldering iron and iron tip are you using?
It sounds like one or both are not up to the task.

They make more of a difference than most people think.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 12:57:12 pm »
Photos of the board would be nice btw, to see what we're talking about.

Offline donlisms

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 04:11:27 pm »
The description screams "Need more power!" to me, also. Just because you set your iron to 480 doesn't mean that's what you're getting!

Offline modoran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 10:57:02 pm »
Use a preheater or hot air simultaneously to get the whole board arena to at least 80C and the relay will be desoldered much easier.

No smd part will fell off even at 230C due to the surface tension. But however aluminium caps will not withstand that .

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:13:21 am »
Using an X-tronic 5040-XTS-XR3.  Have not tried bigger propane soldering iron yet, just got home, will try tomorrow.  I will go out to the shop and get the board and take pics now.  I like the idea of preheating, will try that too.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: Today at 02:34:28 am »
I may have damaged one of the SMD resistors under the relay trying to pry as I heated as I didn't notice or expect them under there on my first try, but I think you guys are right and that I need more thermal mass and I will try the bigger soldering iron tomorrow.

Offline KrudyZ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Today at 02:58:18 am »
I would take a hacksaw and start cutting off the relay.
While it doesn't look like you can cut it very close to the PCB, it's probably sufficient to turn this into a one pin at a time problem.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #12 on: Today at 03:17:21 am »
hot plate?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf