Author Topic: TekScope TDS5000B don't want to reinstall on fresh OS [Workarounded, fixed]  (Read 6703 times)

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Fixing up TDS5000B scope after failed HDD. Reinstalled new OS (Win2K Pro SP4), got Tek drivers installed and working, but TDS5000B_2.0.11 software package does not want to install. :(

I have recovery CDs which came with scope, but they don't want to work either, telling me that they are for different motherboard  :-//.

Any hints how to let TekScope app install? I tried to import registry keys from original HKLM/Software/Tektronix into new OS, still gives same err  :rant:

Old TDS5000 TekScope app installs fine, but obviously does not work.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 06:31:24 pm by TiN »
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
Re: TekScope TDS5000B don't want to reinstall on fresh OS
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 03:54:04 am »
I'm not as smart as you but you may find tips in this old post, but it is winME version anyhow OP manage to find HDD image and get scope to work and reload with win2K but he did not followup whether he suceed or not.He also loaded an older version of tekscope TDS5000 which did the trick. Good luck.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/help!-need-recovert-cd-for-winme-version-of-tds-5054/

Offline darron

Supporter
        View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Help! Need recovert CD for WinME version of TDS 5054
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 05:27:51 AM »

Say Thanks

Woo hoo!  I got it running again!

I managed to locate a hard drive image from a similar scope. It locked up on boot at first, but after booting in safe mode and removing TekScope and installing the older TekScope version it seems to run fine.

There are WAY more drivers on the hard drive than were in the software package. It looks like only the recovery CD contains those drivers. I used the built in drivers to get the touchscreen and thermal printer working, as they weren't initially.

Oops! I messed it up running sysprep and trying a non-OEM Windows 2000 key, so I'm going to reinstall Windows 2000 from my own CD and pull the drivers I need from the hard drive image I received. I'd prefer not to be running the donor's OS key.

I've ordered a $64 32GB PATA SSD for this thing, too.  Hopefully that helps me out a bit on boot speed.

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 04:08:11 am »
Old software for non-B version does not have this check.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline JFJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 10:31:01 am »
I have recovery CDs which came with scope, but they don't want to work either, telling me that they are for different motherboard

In an eBay listing for TDS5000B Series Operating System Restore CDs, the seller mentions that they're intended for use with a specific serial number range (SN B020000 to SN B029999, in their case). Page 6-65 of the service manual provides instructions for "Installing the PC Motherboard Serial Number". Might the serial number be key to successfully installing the oscilloscope software?

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 04:39:05 am »
It's possible that the recovery CDs may not tally/belong with this particular scope where it came from. A company may have more than one but the person in charge of these things may not be aware as the scope came fully loaded
and running. I have similar experience with Acer computers of Taiwan when it says "this is not the computer" the software belongs to. :)

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Scope fixed.  :-+
Thanks to Jwalling for help!

I wrote quick tutorial with OS images in case someone got stuck like I was before.
Forgive me for the crappy photos, no tripod at work  :palm:

As bonus article has super brief teardown photoshoot  ::)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 01:02:44 am by TiN »

The following users thanked this post: klaus11, Smile2016, shuvodutta

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Glad you got it working, thank you for the details.

Shame there is no solution to the blocked install with the original Tektronix software.
VE7FM

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Excellent work TiN! Whenever this happens if you can find a motherboard that is close enough to the original chipset and will boot the drive, you can use device manager to knock down the driver to a standard IDE controller. If you can't find a motherboard that is close enough, there is a utility/tool in Terabyte Image for Linux that allows you to knock down the IDE controller to a standard controller, but I no longer have access to that software since I was laid off from my job last spring.

This tool claims to work as well, but only works with Windows XP. https://www.foolishit.com/free-tech-tools/fixide/
I've never tried it, though.

What sucks about this is that when this happens, you often can't even boot in safe mode. Microsoft really screwed the pooch on that one... :palm:
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

The following users thanked this post: shuvodutta

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Jwalling Thanks again for help.

I usually prefer brute-force way with registry editor, which is preinstalled in any Windows OS.
Hate to install one-time-use cripple-ware just to do something simple like that.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Jwalling Thanks again for help.

I usually prefer brute-force way with registry editor, which is preinstalled in any Windows OS.
Hate to install one-time-use cripple-ware just to do something simple like that.

Oddly enough, I attempted to use your tutorial today on a TDS7054 serial prefix B010XXX that had Win98, that I needed to make run Win2K from an image I had saved from a B040XXX prefix.
Neither registry entry would work in my case.  |O
I ended up buying the Terabyte software and used the OSD tools to install the standard IDE controller driver. Worked great, and takes only a few minutes!
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline thorswait

• Contributor
Re: TekScope TDS5000B don't want to reinstall on fresh OS [Workarounded, fixed]
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 05:20:23 pm »
I know this thread is pretty old, I ran into the same problem and I would like to share what I've found, in order to install the Tekscope application there's a filter in the setup program and I found out that it ran into that problem when the windows OEM information are not filled correctly. I had to modify the OEMINFO.sys file under winnt/system32 add the manufacturer=Tektronix, Inc and model=TDS5000B Series Oscilloscope. Then I was able to install properly the tekscope application.

Another important thing I had to do was to copy the sys file under the "Tektronix Custom Drivers" folder and run the ntinstall and make sure everything loads properly.

After installing all softwares the scope boot properly except one limitation from the sampling rate that get to 1GS/s to bypass that I found on the Tek forum that the bscope.exe is the unlock application so I replace the scope.exe that was limiting the BW Et voilà !

Everything works properly I was also able to install and run it under windows XP ... but unable to update windows past this version ... for now. Also I would like to thank Tin to unlock a world of features for these puppies !

The following users thanked this post: shuvodutta

Offline kissmu

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 10:54:57 pm »
Dear thorswait

Thank you this useful details.
please send me the bscope.exe and a little tutorial how i can use it.

I try to upgrade the bandwith of my scope. 5054B
I found that the front end seem as tds3000 front end.
Also i found a cap in C524 position what is same(position and value 3 pf) than the TDS700 500mhz limitator cap.https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/conversion-of-500mhz-tds744a-to-1ghz-tds784a/

I haven't test the result yet. Because i haven't 1G freq generator yet. But sooner...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:29:16 am by kissmu »

Offline kissmu

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 01:09:46 pm »
My scope is  TDS5054B-NV-AV

I found an article what is NV   (navy)

http://news.tektronix.com/2004-06-08-U-S-Navy-Selects-Tektronix-as-Supplier-of-Digital-Phosphor-Oscilloscopes

But the difference is these scopes has full functionality. But my scope has basic 4Mb memory yet. but has touch screen.
Hdd date 2006/05

other interesting thing: the serial number on the case is different than in the software.
All component seems original, the scope seems hardly used. (but broken case because of army storage...)

Offline thorswait

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 08:07:26 pm »
Considering the BW, I was curious and did unsolder and measure all individual parts with my LCR meter and found out these value : 

The cap between lines is a 3.9pF both inductor are Coilcraft 22nH and both capacitor shnt cap are 5.6pF.  I simulated it just for fun. Here's the shape. If you simply remove the cap your filter's shape will suffer greatly ... It might be best to simply remove the filter and add resistor jumper or retune and design a filter for higher bandwidth ...

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:43:51 pm by thorswait »

Offline kissmu

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 06:46:20 am »
You mast be right!

I have to remove the all filter.

My main question was, the tektronix uses only hardware bandwidth limitation, or software too.

here is a link about the next gen oscilloscope:Tektronix DPO5034
https://debugmo.de/2013/03/whats-inside-tektronix-dpo5034/

The answer is: maybe use only hardware limitation.

Offline kissmu

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 01:29:41 pm »
Thank the help for thorswait,

I removed the all filter, and i got the full bandwidth.

and also i found my "lost" activation keys   :-+

Offline uccoskun

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 07:10:27 am »
Hello TIN:

I have converted my TDS5054B-NV oscilloscope to a windows XP system. I got exactly the same screen you posted in this post. The SPC test panel without any signal trace like you show. However, I would not revive the traces from any channels. Is there are  way to turn on the traces?

Update: Now it works after repeat installation. I use an intel motherboard with i3 processor. Here is the board I use. Intel DQ77MK Motherboard. I'm sure other processors would work also.

Thank you,
Ulas
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 05:29:13 am by uccoskun »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf