Author Topic: Tektronix 2213  (Read 274 times)

Offline bostonman

Tektronix 2213
« on: July 13, 2018, 01:51:19 am »
I have a 2213 and uncertain how to categorize the problem. I'd call it a horizontal sweep issue, but from what I can tell, the entire screen is just a blur.

A faint blurry image is mixed with the blur that may possibly be the sweep, but I don't see anything move to indicate it's a sweep mixed with a blur. Changing the time base doesn't seem to have an affect nor does using beam find.

Does anyone know where I should start checking or have seen this problem before?

Offline Chris56000

• Regular Contributor
Re: Tektronix 2213
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 05:26:12 am »
Hi!

1) Service Manual; Service Manual, Service Manual!

2) Power Supply Rails, Power Supply Rails, Power Supply Rails!

I've repeated these two items three times in light–hearted vein to emphasise how inportant they are in dealing with any defective piece of Tektronix equipment!

The 2213 Service Manual can be downloaded free from many places, such as k04BB, TekWiki. BAMA, Kevin Chant, etc., or a high quality copy can be bought from Artek for about £10 (12–15 USD)

ALL Tektronix equipment is critically dependent for stable opertion on all their internal power supply voltages – the values and the amount of allowable noise/ripple on each of the various power–supply lines is given on the diagrams and on the circuit descriptions.

Please get yourself a good copy of the 2213 S.M. and study it carefully, then begin with voltage and ripple tests on the power supplies, if anything doesn't measure right please get back to us with your readings!

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:01:52 am by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline bostonman

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 03:53:17 am »
Am I missing something in the service manual? The schematic section states board 9 is the power supply, but then the schematics don't show 9 or anything labeled 'power supply'.

These service manuals are difficult to follow in PDF form when I need to keep zooming in/out and moving through pages.

Offline Chris56000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:38:03 am »
Hi!

Please be aware that two versions of the 2213 oscilloscope exsist, a very early version that incorporated an A18 "Pre–Regulator Board", and most of the later ones that incorporated the "Pre–Regulator"  components into the main panel.

Unfortunately all the free manuals appear to come from one source that didn't bother to check that the Power Supply Circuits, Diagram 9 had been included!

Type "2213 Power Supply" into the Forum Search Box should bring up a number of posts that provide the missing pages of the manuals, some are in PDF and some in JPG/PNG.

The modest cost of a PDF from Artek is well worth it – you get a much clearer copy compared with the free ones and the chap who produces them makes sure they're complete!

If you have problems following PDF diagrams, your local office supply/copy–centre can print out large diagrams from an Artek manual full–size, whilst you can print the normal pages on a home printer.

The 2213 manual has no coloured details I believe, so you won't be using up coloured ink/toner!

The modest cost of getting a PDF printed is well worthwhile!

Alternatively, there's an Original Tek Printed Manual on eBay:–

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F331596316683

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 06:47:51 am by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 11:25:10 am »
Is it a focus issue? What does the trace look like grounded ?

Offline bostonman

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 10:47:20 am »
Is it a focus issue? What does the trace look like grounded ?

The whole screen is just one large bright blur.

After removing the cover, I heard a faint sound of stuff moving around in the CRT. Is it possible the CRT (or whatever it's called for an oscilloscope) is able to display something, but be broken on the inside causing the video issue?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf