Author Topic: Tektronix 2213A -- Overheating  (Read 784 times)

Offline GcsillazTopic starter

• Contributor
Tektronix 2213A -- Overheating
« on: April 20, 2021, 06:53:42 pm »
Hello everyone,

So.. I recently bought a Tektronix 2213A from a seller who said that it had never been serviced or damaged and had been working perfectly.

When it arrived I opened it to see the inside if there was something fishy or replaced. Nothing caught my eyes.

It is my first osciloscope. Few days ago I realized the cover directly above the PSU part was getting pretty hot (I live in a place where the ambient temperature is around 27 - 30°C)

It was not possible to measure the temperature...

Is it common for this area get pretty hot? It seems that on the rear panel there is some space for a fan installation... I searched for a mod of this sort but did not find any...

A mod for installation of a fan would be complicated? Anyone have schematic so we can analyze where best to install it?

Thanks in advancee!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix 2213A -- Overheating
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 07:00:21 pm »
Yeah they run pretty hot. The power supply on some variants has a fan installed. Key thing that generates heat is the preregulator and linear regulators inside the shielded section.

SM here https://w140.com/tektronix_2213_service.pdf

The power supplies in these tend to blow up quite spectacularly as well as I found :). 2235 is same arrangement https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2235-repair-thread/

If I even land one again the entire power supply is being ripped out and replaced with a 48V meanwell module  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:03:14 pm by bd139 »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 07:15:40 pm »
Yeah they run pretty hot. The power supply on some variants has a fan installed. Key thing that generates heat is the preregulator and linear regulators inside the shielded section.

The power supplies in these tend to blow up quite spectacularly as well as I found :). 2235 is same arrangement https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2235-repair-thread/

If I even land one again the entire power supply is being ripped out and replaced with a 48V meanwell module  :-DD

Wooow! Jeez!!! What a find!

If I remember correctly on my Tek still has these "Aluminium" big caps, did not remember the RIFA ones tough...

From your experience, would you advise me to take any action regarding the "restoration" of the scope or should I just use it until it "explodes" hahaha

Thanks!

Obs. I will open it know to verify the RIFA ones... I've heard they catch on fire xD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 07:28:22 pm »
Replace the RIFA ones because they are an instant fire hazard. Everything else can wait until it gives up.

The only difficult to replace parts are the HT multiplier, switching transformer and intensity pot. Everything else is fairly standard parts wise.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:29:57 pm by bd139 »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 07:50:30 pm »
Replace the RIFA ones because they are an instant fire hazard. Everything else can wait until it gives up.

The only difficult to replace parts are the HT multiplier, switching transformer and intensity pot. Everything else is fairly standard parts wise.

Sadly it needs precision torx screwdrivers to open the PSU case which I do not have :(

But I was able to look through the case... There are Nichicon/Rubicon Caps inside it together with the "aluminium" ones... There seems to be some sort of carbon dust close to the outlet (mby something exploded in the past?)

Do you think that maybe someone already made this restoration?

Thanks bd139!

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 07:53:27 pm »
Quite possibly someone has already sorted it. They are getting to the age where repairs are normal. Worth checking though.

Worth investing in some Torx drivers - definitely needed to fix stuff these days.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 08:00:13 pm »
Will do!

And when I get them... do you have a suggestion where I could couple a DC fan on the PSU to give it a more refreshing air? xD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 08:06:29 pm »
Check the service manual for the 2235A (available if you google around). That will give you details on where to connect etc. Think it's a standard 80mm fan.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 12:16:14 am »

The 2213/2215 are really a separate series from the 2235/2213A/2215A.  The 2235 or 2215A service manuals can be used for the power supply of the 2213A.

The following users thanked this post: Gcsillaz

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf