Author Topic: What temperatur should I choose and which type of weld should I choose?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline edeweldTopic starter

Hello Folks,

I intend solder components in this board: http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e138.php
I need know what type of weld and what temperature should I use to build a great solder in leads on all components.

I use this soldering station: http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?country=be&lang=en&id=363894

Best Regards,
Sorry about my english, if you can't understand my point or have any question please tell me! Thanks

Offline jeroen79

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What temperatur should I choose and which type of weld should I choose?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 12:06:21 pm »
What do you mean by 'weld'? Do you mean the soldertype like leaded or nonleaded?
Basic leaded solder (60/40) is good for hobbyist through hole soldering.
But you may develop a different preference through experience.

Temperature isn't very critical either.
350 C is good starting point but you can go much lower.
What does matter is how much heat you apply to the work and for how long. Heating components for more than a few seconds can damage them or the PCB' pads/traces.
You want to heat up the work, feed in solder as soon as it melts and then remove the iron once you have enough solder for the joint.
This is something you must learn by practice.
Start with inexpensive kits first. Or just solder some scrap components to a piece of experimenting board first.

I don't think your soldering station is really temperature controlled.
It probably is adjustable in power with a dimmer like circuit.

The controller will put a given amount of power into the iron and it's temperature will depend on how much heat flows out of it.
In air this will be little and the iron will be hotter, once applied to the work it will quickly drop in temperature as heat flows into the joint.
That means you must judge how big the joint is thermally.
A small pad will need little power to get hot quick, a component with heavy leads or a large copper plane will need more power.
This will be a matter of experience.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:21:21 pm by jeroen79 »

Offline carl_lab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 12:16:07 pm »
Use standard solder Sn60Pb40 or SN63Pb37 at about 280 to 380 C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 01:21:03 pm »
I built up one of these kits a few months ago - and I noted there were two versions supplied: One had all the SMD components installed (leaving only the through-hole components); the other had the 3 big SMD chips only pre-installed, leaving you the other SMD components to fit as well as the through-hole.

From your questions, you would seem to be fairly new to the skill of soldering - and I would not recommend this kit as a first-time project and certainly not if you have the version with SMD components to fit.

Mind you - that is only my recommendation.  If you approach the exercise sensibly, you could have success.

I would suggest you practice on something beforehand.  Burning up an old board or scrap is a more palatable learning experience than frying your project PCB.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf