Author Topic: Tektronix 2225 CRT Problem  (Read 754 times)

Offline DarKnightSP

• Contributor
Tektronix 2225 CRT Problem
« on: November 07, 2018, 06:26:35 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to buy a second hand oscilloscope and I'm interested in this Tek 2225 for around 100€. It has decent pricing and decent specs for what I could find here in Spain where the market is really small for this products. The owner showed me a video of it working but i'm afraid that it has some big problem with the crt as you can see in the video. I want to know if this is a common problem with an easy solution or just a "don't buy it" sign.

Thank you.

https://youtu.be/4YNPxCtyo3w

EDIT: Turns out the instensity was set to max and the signal showing was really slow. It show likes this now:

I think there is no problem with this scope. But maybe you notice something wrong. What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:17:16 pm by DarKnightSP »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Tektronix 2225 CRT Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 04:46:53 am »
I think there is no problem with this scope. But maybe you notice something wrong. What do you think?
Welcome to the forum.

Yep trace rotation is miles out.
Grab the service manual from here and make sure it can be rotated back to where it should be before buying it.
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Main_Page
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: DarKnightSP

Offline DarKnightSP

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 10:22:09 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Yep trace rotation is miles out.
Grab the service manual from here and make sure it can be rotated back to where it should be before buying it.
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Main_Page

Thank you! I also noticed the trace rotation but that will be easily fixed. Not any more visible problem, right?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 11:11:15 am »
Ah, the crack !

Well if you can live with it and it doesn't effect performance and the price is OK and good scopes are hard to find......well your choice !
Glue, patch and screws/bolts = Franken scope.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 11:24:43 am »
They're good scopes when they're working. Check all the switches on the front panel carefully though as they are 100% totally unobtainable if they are worn. Donor scope is literally the only option.

Weak points are HT intensity pot, transformer and switches. Any of those die and you need a donor unit. Parts are simply not available.

On a positive note they are mostly made of completely standard and easy to obtain parts, the board is good quality and the service manual is good quality too.

Edit: also power supply has Philips axial capacitors in them. Those will be the first suspect if anything dies in it down the line.

Offline DarKnightSP

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 11:42:46 am »
Yes, the crak! I think I will try to repair it when I have more time available. Also the scope seams to need a deep clean.

The switches appear to work fine, the owner has showed me a video while he changes intensity, focus, vertical and horizontal scale and also triggers. There is another 2225 for sale that is in better external condition but the owner asked 280€ and although I got him to drop it to 170€+shipping, that is over my budget.

I will report back when I have this one in my own hands.

Thank you for your help!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf