Author Topic: Tektronix 2225 vertical display problem  (Read 395 times)

Offline AndrewEp17Topic starter

Tektronix 2225 vertical display problem
« on: April 25, 2024, 06:19:27 am »
Hello, this is my first post. I bought a broken Tektronix 2225 to fix it for fun and the tube works and it has a trace but when I input a signal to either channel it displays a wave form but its barely there. I replaced pretty much every capacitor in it other than a few in the power supply. I checked the voltages and they seem to be correct. But i have to check them again. I think it might be a bad IC or transistor in the vertical amplifier or something and I was wondering if anybody here has any idea of what part would cause this. I included some pictures of channel 1 with and without a 1khz square wave. It doesn't look any better no matter what i change.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix 2225 vertical display problem
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 06:28:54 am »
Hi there, do you have another scope, or signal tracer ? Here's a service manual with schematic's. I'd try and trace the signal into the attenuation/pre-amp section, and then the main vertical pre-amp and driver section.

I have no idea what this site is, but the 216page 14MB pdf is too big to upload.
http://bee.mif.pg.gda.pl/ciasteczkowypotwor/Tek/2225%20SM.pdf

The following users thanked this post: AndrewEp17

Offline BlownUpCapacitor

• Regular Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 06:37:17 am »
Possibly a burnt input resistor. Some other guy somewhere here had a burnt input resistor on a 22xx series scope. It's soldered directly on the BNC so not hard to check.
Love the smell of burning capacitor electrolyte in the morning.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewEp17

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 02:02:04 am »
Hi there, do you have another scope, or signal tracer ? Here's a service manual with schematic's. I'd try and trace the signal into the attenuation/pre-amp section, and then the main vertical pre-amp and driver section.

I have no idea what this site is, but the 216page 14MB pdf is too big to upload.
http://bee.mif.pg.gda.pl/ciasteczkowypotwor/Tek/2225%20SM.pdf

I have a rigol ds2302a and I actually ended up fixing it by doing that! I looked at the schematics before but i didn't think of tracing the input signal until you said that haha. i looked at those parts of the schematic and i knew it probably wasn't going to be in one of the preamps because both channels had the same issue. So I ended up tracing it back to Q256 in the vertical amplifier which is the last transistor the signal goes into to drive the deflection plate of the CRT. I removed Q256 and Q257 from the circuit, both were 2N3866. i thought i was going to to have to buy more until i saw that the emitter pin had broken off probably from heat and I tested them with a meter and they seemed to be good so i decided to solder a wire directly to the metal case of the transistors and soldered them to the bottom of the board and that ended up fixing it! thanks for the advice!

also i will put them back in correctly i only soldered them to the bottom to test them

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 02:05:00 am »
Possibly a burnt input resistor. Some other guy somewhere here had a burnt input resistor on a 22xx series scope. It's soldered directly on the BNC so not hard to check.

i checked both channels and the resistors are the correct value but one looked a little dark and the paint was chipped so i will probably replace those as well. thanks for the advice!

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 02:46:10 am »
It said the picture was to big for my previous reply so here is a picture of the 2225 displaying a triangle from my function generator

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 04:12:29 am »
Ok well that was an easy fix then. Yeah I like fixing some stuff too, but so far, most problems have seemed pretty straight forward or sort of boring. I guess because nothing had any big amount of damage, like a drink spilled on it.

I'm working on a stereo right now, making a schematic. Now it's about time to test the PCBs for issues. Or maybe check some capacitors 1st, it is pretty old.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf