Author Topic: Tektronix 2465 - Beam Intensity too bright when more than 1 channel is active  (Read 482 times)

Offline TerraquaTopic starter

Hello EEVblog folks and Tek 24xx owners :)

My Tektronix 2465 is having a problem with the beam intensity.

If I adjust the intensity to a normal brightness when 1 channel is active, it becomes too bright when I activate a second channel. If I activate a third, it remains the same, and when I activate all 4 the intensity becomes really bright...

All PSU voltages are within spec, DAC ref in spec. I replaced U650 (just to check).... the problem is located somewhere else  :-//

Does someone have an idea where I should start the troubleshooting? My old tekky and I will be gratefull if you could point us in the right direction...

Here a video of the problem (brightness adjusted to 4 active channels, if I disable a channel, I can't see any traces (unless I increase the intensity)

https://youtu.be/n9u6L1K3P8Q
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 05:05:59 pm by Terraqua »

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix 2465 Channel switching problem (advice needed)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 06:55:34 pm »
Can you post a photo of the entire front face of the scope showing how the controls are set?  Is this something that just happened suddenly after working normally or is the scope new to you?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 08:21:20 pm »
Those are sensible questions!

If you need to go inside the scope, the traditional places.to start are with the PSU voltages/ripple, SMD caps on the control boards, and voltages near the DAC. All are well described on this forum and elsewhere.

A good 2465 is a delight to use :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline TerraquaTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 08:39:51 pm »
I have this scope for a while now, but it was in storage in a box with silica gel granules to keep it dry (don't know if that's the right name in English for that stuff)

Now I have a seperate room for my hobbies, and more space, so I thought to recomission my old scope again.

It still works all right, apart from the brightness problem... the PSU voltages and ripple are within spec, that's the first thing I checked...

It seems cumulative. If I adjust the brightness when 1 channel is on, it is too bright when 2 or 3 channels are active, and blasts away the fosfor on the screen when I activate all 4 channels...

Here a picture of the settings on the front panel:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 04:49:01 pm by Terraqua »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf