Author Topic: Tektronix 453 Oscilloscope & Beryllium Oxide Block  (Read 1052 times)

Offline RCLTopic starter

• !
Tektronix 453 Oscilloscope & Beryllium Oxide Block
« on: May 27, 2022, 01:58:49 am »
Gentlemen:

I am scrapping-out an old Tektronix 453 oscilloscope.  When I got to the high voltage section, a white block of something fell out.  By it's position, in the power supply, it appears to be there to transfer heat, from the HV section, to the chassis.  Could this possibly be a dangerous block of Beryllium oxide?  It has not been broken.

Thanks-in-advance,
rlong@ivytech.edu

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Tektronix 453 Oscilloscope & Beryllium Oxide Block
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 07:08:57 am »
Berillium oxide heatsinks will feel like stone and surprisingly cool to the touch, since they reaily conduct heat away from your fingertips.

Don't break them, don't breath in any dust.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 03:22:51 pm »
 If it's a plain block, measure it, calculate the volume, weigh it, and calculate the density. BeO ceramic is about 3.0g/cm3, aluminum oxide ceramic (most common) is around 3.7.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 06:30:21 pm »
Well according to the first manual on Tekwiki, there are 5 heatsink insulator discs, part #214-0317-00, these are BeO according to the NSN part reseller website: https://www.parttarget.com/5970-00-104-7899_5970001047899_214-0317-00.html

David

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 07:09:07 pm »
I knew a modern victim of berylliosis:  Prof. H. L. Anderson, who had been a junior member of the Manhattan Project.
I believe he contracted it by polishing a window made from metallic beryllium, and lost a lung.
He survived for another 45 years, but his official cause of death was berylliosis.
Beryllium oxide can also cause it.
Note that this is usually considered to be an inhalation hazard, especially from breathing dust, although there is some evidence that it can be caused by skin reaction.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 07:11:07 pm »
it's the BeO dust that gets you. handle it with gloves, put in a sealed plastic bag and dispose iof it at a hazardous waste facility. .
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 07:19:58 pm »
We handled power vacuum tubes with BeO seals almost daily. The dust or small particules when inhaled are the bad actors. As long as you don't break the block or try to 'sand it down' to fit a different application you will be fine. In one particular R.F. amplifier for VHF we had the weird version of a 4CX250 Eimac tube that used BeO links to the large heatsink to cool the external anode plate structure. These links were about 2" tall, 8" long and nearly .5" thick with liberal amounts of that silicone heat sink grease getting all over everything with heat and age. We handled BeO as if it were a cathode ray tube being careful not to drop it or nick it!!
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline RCLTopic starter

• !
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 08:20:24 pm »
Density Calculation:

Length (mm):      50.28   

Width (mm):            17.32   

Height (mm):            13.38 

Mass (grams):          39.75 

Volume (mm3):         11650.968   

Density (g/cm3):       3.41     

rlong@ivytech.edu
29/May/2022

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 07:23:05 pm »
Well according to the first manual on Tekwiki, there are 5 heatsink insulator discs, part #214-0317-00, these are BeO according to the NSN part reseller website: https://www.parttarget.com/5970-00-104-7899_5970001047899_214-0317-00.html

David

These are four of the BeO discs, in the 453 I acquired earlier this year, not sure where the fifth is.

Can't see the block you described in the HV section of mine, unless it's under the polycarbonate box.

David
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 07:26:05 pm by factory »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf